One hundred and twenty seven

Erin stifled a yawn behind her mask as she finished up the last row of sutures on the new diaphragm. Her legs were aching and so were her arms, and she'd taken one break to chug a coffee in the scrub room before scrubbing in again to keep going. She was exhausted, honestly.

"How long have we been here?" Erin said.

"We're coming up to eight hours, right now," Alex checked the clock. "And she's holding steady, before you ask. She's been steady the whole surgery," he said.

"Can we double check she is actually alive? I'm not feeling too good about the fact her stats have barely changed the entire surgery," Erin said quietly.

"She is alive," Arizona whispered.

"Then why is this going so well? This was supposed to be harder than it is. It can't be this simple. She can't be handling this so well," Erin whispered, looking at Arizona.

"It's going so well because you are a way better surgeon than you give yourself credit for, and Lydia is fighting as much as you are, right now. Stop doubting yourself. This is going amazingly, so keep going and finish the job," Arizona said.

Erin sighed but nodded, continuing to suture the diaphragm.

"Okay, everybody check my margins," Erin said, lifting her hands out of Lydia an hour later.

Jo, Alex and Arizona all checked her margins on the sutures, nodding when they saw she'd attached it completely in the place of the last one and checking the stomach was secure. They nodded, looking at Erin.

"We're all good," Alex said.

"She's good?" Erin whispered.

"She's good," Arizona nodded. "All we need to do is close," she said.

"Okay. Uh, Wilson, you can do that," Erin mumbled.

"What?" Jo said, looking up at Erin. "You want me to do it?" she said.

"I thought we did all crazy things together. You taking that back?" Erin said.

"Absolutely not. 2.0 proline, please," Jo said.

Bohkee handed her the proline over and Erin supervised her closing, nodding when Jo was finished.

"Okay, and she's all done. Let's get her straight into recovery so she can see her moms and Jack when she wakes up," Erin said.

The nurses moved to start prepping Lydia to be moved and Erin, Arizona, Alex and Jo stepped back. The surgeons in the viewing room started clapping, making the nurses clap, too. Erin sighed tiredly, leaning against Arizona's side and holding her blood stained gloved hands away from them.

Her fingers were aching and, when she'd rescrubbed, she'd seen the dents in her fingertips from the suturing she'd been doing. She didn't think she could even move them more than a small wriggle.

"You think this worked? You think we actually made history today?" Erin whispered.

"Oh, baby. This worked. You made history today. You gave a little girl her life back," Arizona whispered. "Let's scrub out and go and tell her moms that she's gonna be okay," she said.

"I want her to get scans before she goes back to her ward. We're going to be doing scans every day to make sure she's fine," Erin told Jo. Jo nodded.

"I'll make a note in her chart and get on it," Jo said.

"Thank you," Erin said.

They headed into the scrub room and scrubbed out, Jo disappearing with Steph to help get Lydia into post-op and get her ready for a CT scan. Erin stepped out of the scrub room with Alex and Arizona, seeing Meredith, Maggie, Amelia, Bailey, Richard, Zola and Archie were stood around the nurses desk with grins.