Twenty six

It was cold. That was the first thing that Erin registered. Everything was cold and she was wet. Her hair had fallen out of her ponytail and was in her face. She kicked her feet as hard as she could, holding her breath as she tried to swim upwards. Why hadn't she ever listened to Meredith and taken those damn swimming lessons as a kid?

She felt two hands grab her and she opened her eyes, seeing Meredith was in the water with her. She wrapped her arm around Erin's waist and dragged her to the surface, their heads breaking free of the water.

Erin gasped for breath, shaking her hair out of her face. She tried to kick her legs as hard as she could but she began slipping back under, Meredith's hold on her useless as she went right back with her.

Erin could feel Meredith struggling to bring them to the surface. She knew that, unless Meredith let go of Erin, both of them would die. There was no way that Meredith could save both of them.

This was Erin's way out. This would stop it all. It wasn't a suicide attempt, no, rather an accident, but she wouldn't mind this being the end. She'd just delivered a baby, she was with her sister and she was safe from Rob here. She could die happy here and that was okay with her.

She grabbed Meredith's hands and pried her fingers off her. Meredith shook her head furiously, grabbing at Erin again as she tried to drag them to the surface. Erin just looked at her and Meredith's face dropped as she saw the look in Erin's eyes, the same look she'd seen on the morning of her suicide attempt when she was fifteen years old, though she hadn't known it at the time.

Erin was bad again. Meredith looked up at the surface of the water and then back at her sister. Erin was sinking and she would die if Meredith didn't save her, but Meredith knew Erin didn't want to be saved. Erin begged Meredith with her eyes to just let go, to just let her have her way out. Erin wanted it to stop.

Meredith blew out the last of her air to relieve the intense burning in her lungs, watching the bubbles rise to the surface as she sunk down. She grabbed Erin's hand and squeezed it, intertwining their fingers.

Erin squeezed Meredith's hand back and closed her eyes, the rush of blood in her head being too much to fight against. Meredith felt Erin's hand go limp in her own as she fell unconscious.

Meredith tried to swim upwards, dragging Erin with her, but Erin's dead weight and the pressure of the water on Meredith's empty chest was too much. Her hand went limp in Erin's own and the Grey sisters sank towards the bottom of the water together.

Derek ducked under the water again, looking around for Meredith. He spotted blonde hair floating near the bottom and swam down. He almost opened his mouth in shock when he saw that Meredith was not alone. Erin was beneath her, Meredith's body draped over her like she was protecting her from someone, hands still intertwined.

He grabbed them and swam up to the stairs. He stepped out, lifting their bodies up and putting one over each shoulder. He lugged them up the stairs and over to an ambulance, one of the paramedics taking Erin to put her in another one.

"Someone needs to stay with her," Derek cried, watching as they carried her away. "Please stay with her," he said.

"We will, sir," a man said. He closed the doors to the ambulance Erin was in and Derek jumped in after Meredith, beginning chest compressions to try and restart her heard.

Levi Flynn stared down at the blue-tinged body of Erin Grey, the girl he'd met two months prior at the nursing home. One of his paramedic friends was doing compressions but Levi knew that it would take a miracle for Erin to come back to life. She was ice cold, face frozen, but she looked like she was at peace. It looked like she was happy.