Thirty one

"Erin," Mark whined, sliding into the chair in the conference room beside her. She looked up from her slice of chocolate cake.

"Open," she held out her fork. He opened and she fed him a mouthful. "It's not for the wedding. I just like cake and Burke got me some because I was the only one helping him plan," Erin said.

"It's good," he nodded. "What's going on with Karev lately?" he asked.

"Uh, he's been working with Addison on Jane Doe. Uh, Ava, they're calling her now. He's stealing my coffee and pop tarts every morning. He eats my step mom's groceries every week when she brings them. He sleeps a lot, sometimes he gets in my bed when it's late and neither of us can sleep. He's a dick but he's my friend," Erin shrugged.

"Has he slept with anyone lately?" he said. Erin looked at him with a frown.

"I don't know. He doesn't really talk about it and I don't know where he'd find the time with boards coming up. He's been running around like a headless chicken," she said.

"Are you lying to me?" he said.

"No. Why would I lie? Did you sleep with someone? Is this about your bet with Addison?" Erin raised her eyebrows.

"You know about that?" he said.

"Of course I know about that. Addison, Callie and I were talking about it this morning," Erin said.

"Did she say anything?" Mark said.

"Look, Mark, I like you. We're friends, but I'm not gonna play messenger. Talk to Addison if you want to know what she said," Erin said. He sighed and nodded.

"You're right," he said.

"I often am," Erin teased. He sighed again and grabbed the plate of chocolate cake, taking a bite. "Okay, you and Alex are as bad as each other. What is it with people stealing my food?" Erin cried, grabbing the plate back.

"I'm having a bad day," he said. She sighed and handed it back.

"Tell me what's happening," she said. He practically pouted as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I saw Addison and Karev leaving an on-call room together looking like they'd just had sex. And then I had to scrub in on a surgery to get a fish out of Larry's penis," Mark said.

"Larry from the board?" Erin said.

"Yes," he sighed.

"Ew. Fish penis," Erin shuddered. "Look, do you really care about Addison?" Erin said.

"Yeah," Mark said.

"Then you need to work out what both of you want. If it's the same thing, great, but if it isn't, it's only gonna hurt you two to get together or carry on with this bet," Erin said.

"So, what should I do?" he said.

"Well, what do you want?" Erin asked, taking a bite of the chocolate cake.

"I want her to be happy," he said. They sat in silence for a minute. "But I don't think she can be happy with me," he said. Erin pat his hand.

"Then I think you know what to do," she said. He sighed and nodded.

"Yeah, I think I do," he said. He stood up and handed her the cake again. "Thanks, baby Grey," he said. She smiled and nodded.

"Anytime, Mark," she said. He leaned down and kissed her hair before leaving the room. The door opened again and Bailey stepped in.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Apparently being a relationship counsellor. You'd think they'd go to someone else, considering my ex is a psychopath," Erin rolled her eyes. Bailey chuckled.