One hundred and twenty six

AN: thank you for 800K reads on this book! literally feels insane that three years of writing erin's story has led to this moment and this chapter feels even more special to post for 800K reads.

enjoy Erin Grey making history folks bc things just get worse from here🥰💁🏻‍♀️

—————————————————

"Today is the day, folks," Bailey announced on the elevator the next morning.

Ben, Richard, Owen, April and Jackson were in the elevator with her, and all looked over curiously.

"What day?" Ben said.

"Today is the day that Erin Grey performs the first ever stomach and diaphragm transplant and makes medical history, yet again," Bailey boasted.

"You can't take credit for that," Ben chuckled.

"She can and she will. I am, too. We raised her into the surgeon she is today," Richard grinned.

"She's making history, again," Bailey beamed, rocking on her feet. "My son's godmother, basically my child, she's making history," she said.

"You think she's nervous?" April said.

"Oh, she's going to be absolutely terrified," Bailey chuckled. "She always is before she does something insane. And then she'll go into surgery and she'll snap into Grey mode and kick ass, like she always does," Bailey said.

"Catherine mentioned she's interested in this. Apparently, someone has already nominated Erin for a Harper Avery because of this," Richard said, looking at Bailey.

"Hey, I handled the FDA paperwork. I didn't talk to Catherine," Bailey held her hands up.

"That was Alex, Maggie, Arizona, Meredith and Amelia," April said. "I walked in on them writing the email," she said.

Jackson laughed.

"I'm glad my mom lifted the ban. She has a good chance," he said.

"She's going to make history today, people. Grab a seat if you can," Bailey beamed, stepping off the elevator.

Erin stood at the pediatric nurses desk, eyes focused on the pre-op test results for Lydia on her tablet. She wasn't focused, though. She could feel the fear coursing through her veins because today was the day.

Today was the day Erin attempted something unimaginable on an eight year old and held a child's life in her hands. And it wasn't that she wasn't used to having kid's lives in her hands, but this was different.

This was the first time for this surgery, and Erin was the idiot who made it and agreed to do it.

Honestly, she felt like she was on the verge of a panic attack.

"Hey!" Jo walked over with a grin.

Erin dragged her eyes away from the tablet, nodding once at Jo. Jo held out a cup of coffee, smile fading.

"You look pale," Jo said.

"I'm gonna have a heart attack," Erin said.

"Wait, like, seriously? Because I can page Riggs or Pierce-" Jo started.

"Not seriously," Erin muttered. "As in, I'm terrified."

"Oh. Well, yeah, that's to be expected. There's a lot riding on today," Jo said.

"Thanks, captain obvious," Erin snapped.

"Well, I figured you'd rather me be straight up than lie to make you feel better," Jo said.