Thirty eight

Erin sighed and curled more into Meredith's chest as they cuddled on the couch. The front door opened and Cristina stepped in.

"Hey, I brought supplies," Cristina held up bottles of alcohol. Cristina looked at the door and nodded her head. Lexie stepped in and Erin raised her eyebrows curiously. "She's got no one," Cristina said. Lexie awkwardly held up a bunch of apples, making Erin smile slightly. She and Meredith both knew Lexie didn't think apples should be a fruit.

Cristina tugged her jacket off and looked back at Meredith and Erin for approval. Erin looked up at Meredith with a small smile. Meredith looked back down, sighed, kissed Erin on the forehead and then pushed them both to their feet.

"We're drinking. Are you drinking, Lexie?" Meredith asked. Lexie's face relaxed and Erin smiled.

"Yeah, a drink would be good," Lexie sighed happily.

Meredith twirled Erin around the living room with a laugh, the shitty radio in the hallway blasting some random dance funk songs. Cristina and Lexie were dancing with them, each on either sides of Erin and Meredith.

Erin heard footsteps and saw Izzie and George step into the living room doorway. Izzie caught her eye and went to turn away.

"Izzie," Erin said. Izzie looked back at her. Erin smiled. An olive branch. "Come on. Dance party," she said. Izzie smiled in relief and looked at George.

"You want to dance?" she said.

"I will if you want me to," he smiled. She grabbed his hand and pulled him in, the two joining the four girls in dancing. Erin spun around, seeing Lexie already looking at her.

"Hey, you're my big sister," Erin said.

"Only just realised?" Meredith laughed.

"No, I mean, it's weird. I'm ahead of her," Erin said.

"Yeah, kind of feels like you're older. Except for your baby complex," Lexie smirked. Erin and Meredith laughed.

"You know me well, Lexie," Erin held her hand out. Lexie took it and Erin grabbed Meredith's hand in her left one. "Let's dance!" she whooped, spinning them both around. They laughed, letting Erin spin them through the air.

Meredith smiled at Erin as she spun. Erin looked so happy. Despite the shitty few months they'd had, she'd had, Erin's smile was wide and beautiful. She was getting better and Meredith didn't even care that Lexie was also looking at Erin, because she was finally getting the chance to see how far Erin had come, even if she didn't know the battles she was fighting. Meredith was glad she was looking, because Lexie would see Erin as her strong little sister, the little fighter who was striving for a better future.

But all Lexie could think as Erin spun her was that the smile on Erin's face was worth every struggle it had been to get to know her and Meredith. It was worth all of the fights and hardships that would come and change them into different people. It was worth every reason she'd found to get to know Meredith and Erin and it was worth every tear she'd shed over her sisters.

Erin looked beautiful and happy and both of her big sisters couldn't help but burst with pride at seeing it.

Erin walked into the kitchen with raised eyebrows, having smelt whatever stench was coming from the kitchen.

"Meredith, why are you molesting our stove? You can't cook," Erin said. Derek, Alex and Lexie laughed, while Meredith gave Erin an unimpressed look.

"I'm making omelets. Lexie had a bad night and while you did too, I know you won't eat. Coffee's ready for you," Meredith said.

"We got black out drunk and I don't remember anything after dancing," Erin said.