Twenty three

"He's with her. He's with that woman. His wife," Ellis snapped, pacing up and down in front of Meredith and Erin.

"I don't think he is. Not any more," Meredith said softly.

"He is. Why would he do that? He loves me. I mean, why would he go back to her? I gave up everything for him," Ellis cried.

"Mom. Mom, look at us. This happened a very long time ago. This is not happening now," Meredith said.

"Come on, mom. It's okay," Erin said.

"It's because I have daughters, isn't it? He always said he didn't want kids. I should never have had kids," Ellis sat down in her seat. Erin shifted uncomfortably on the couch.

"I'm gonna go," Erin said thickly, standing up and walking out of the room. She sat in the parking lot and pulled a cigarette out, lighting it up with a lighter offered wordlessly from a young black man beside her. She inhaled sharply.

"Who is it for you?" he said. Erin looked at him. "It's my grandma. Alzheimer's got her good. Yesterday, she told me that she loved me more than anything and she was so proud I'm her grandson. Today, she can't even recognize my face," he said. Erin took another drag of her cigarette.

"How old are you?" she said.

"Twenty five," he said. She offered him the packet of cigarettes and he took one, lighting it up. "Thanks," he said.

"It's my mom. She was a surgeon and half the time, she thinks she still is. She talks about her residency and the affair she had with my boss at the hospital when they were both my age. Today, she told me she wished that she'd never had children because then he wouldn't have left her. Today, I am back to being the disappointment she always said I was," Erin said. He whistled lowly.

"Tough blow," he said.

"Same with you and your grandma. Your mom here or something?"

"Dad. Mom died when I was a kid."

"That's shit."

"Yeah. What about you?"

"My big sister."

"How old are you?"

"Twenty two. Twenty three in August."

"Me too. August, I mean. I'll be twenty six."

"Cool," Erin grinned slightly. He held out his hand.

"Name's Levi. Levi Flynn," he said.

"Erin. Erin Grey," she shook it. He frowned and turned their enclosed palms so her wrist was face up. He pushed back her sleeve, revealing a thick scar across her vein partially covered by a bruise in the shape of a handprint. Erin pulled her hand back and covered it with her sleeve.

"Your dad or something?" he said.

"No," Erin said.

"Erin, ready to go?" Meredith stepped outside. Erin put her cigarette out and stood up.

"Thanks for the light," she said.

"Thanks for the cigarette," Levi said. Erin nodded and followed Meredith towards the car. "See you around, Grey!" he called after her.

"See you, Flynn," Erin waved, sliding into the car. Meredith sat in the driver's seat.

"He's cute," she said.

"Twenty five. Levi Flynn," Erin said.

"Very cute," Meredith said. "And age appropriate. Doesn't seem like a dick. You should dump Rob," Meredith said.