Intro

"Suffering will be your teacher!"

One gold eye snapped open as his breath was stolen from him by a gasp, sitting up immediately grasping at his chest gasping for air, hyperventilating as his small body shook.

The thirteen year old boy wheezed as he couldn't figure out how to breathe properly pulling at his shirt. Hands grabbed at him from the left, he looked to the side before moving his head, realizing he couldn't see as far from his left eye being covered.

"Zuko, deep breaths," a deep voice told him calmly and he snapped his head to the side seeing his uncle.

"U-uncle?" The child rasped calming down from the nightmare. He flinched when he spoke as his face was in pain. Reaching up Zuko felt bandages against his skin.

"What?" He whispered in horror. The memories of the Agni kai setting in his mind, remembering the fires that scorched his face as his throat was in pain from the screams he couldn't control of himself, pleading and begging until it turning into painful cries.

"Oh.. right," zukos shoulders dropped as he had his hands in his lap.

"How are you feeling? You had a terrible fever the past three days," Iroh reached for his forehead by Zuko slapped his hand away before he touched him.

"I'm fine," he said narrowing his eye.

"Do you know where you are prince Zuko?" The old man asked concerned.

"I'm guessing the medical wing at the palace," Zuko scoffed scooting back on the bed as a woman walked in with some food and water for the prince.

"Where's father?" He asked as she set the foot next to him, it was bread with some rice that had meat and a sauce drizzled on top.

"In the throne room, he wrote this for you," Iroh handed his nephew a letter but Zuko didn't take it. The old man set it on the table next to him as Zuko grabbed the bread and pulled some off to eat.

"Has he came to see me?" His voice was small as he was afraid of the answer almost.

"No,"

Zuko looked down at the bread, he expected that answer but it still hurt.

"Azula came once, before you started burning up from the infection, you weren't very aware or conscious but you spoke to her," Iroh smiled gently at the child but got no reaction.

"I don't remember," Zuko mumbled as he ate the bread.

"What do you remember?"

Fire coming straight towards him.

"The Agni kai,"

He was helpless to even stop it.

Iroh nodded gently as his eyes held sadness, he was the last one to see the life in zukos eyes, the hope he had as a prince, the dreams he had for his country. And he was the first to see all that life and fire inside the boy drain immediately. It was heartbreaking.

"You should rest, but please read your fathers letter before," Iroh touched his arm but Zuko pulled away with a glare.

"I'll do what I want, go away," Zuko snapped harshly.

He watched the old man stand up quietly and gave him a kind look, an understanding look before leaving the child alone.

Zukos jaw trembled in rage as he sat in the bed, he reached for the letter as he inhaled deeply to focus on calming down again. He swallowed a lump in his throat before opening the letter and began reading.

Zuko put his hand over his mouth to muffle the gasping hiccup of sob as a tear ran down his uninjured cheek. He finished reading and dropped the letter on the ground. Covering his face as he cried softly in grief.

He had three weeks before he was a cadet soldier of the fire nation.

No longer a prince.

No longer the son of the fire lord.

He'd be less than dirt on enemy grounds, surly to be left behind like the soldiers he defended before he was permanently reminded of his mistakes. A child soldier that won't last two months, weak and slow is what will get him killed. Three weeks until his slow death. To never return home or given a chance to redeem himself.

He would never restore his honor.