Stubborn

By the time the sun went down they boarded the water tribes ships including the avatar who has not stirred in his sleep once, as if he was dead but the coma gave them hope still.

The earth king said his goodbyes to the children that saved him, he wished to travel the world with his bear bosco, they were given clothes to blend in with the commoners and other travelers, for safety he was still given resources to survive and a map with multiple safe spots that would help him. Then they parted.

Toph threw up three times in the few hours they sailed across the sea and stayed sitting down for most of it. Zuko stayed by her making sure she was alright while the siblings helped their tribe sail with the little practice they had.

"You look like your going to get all angsty again?" Sokka noticed Zuko looking out over the water as Toph was sitting on the ground groaning and clinging onto a bucket.

"I do?" Zuko raised a brow at him. He was zoned out admiring the waters around him.

"Has it been a while since you traveled over waters?" Sokka sat with him anyways.

"No, but it's never been for anything good," he ran a hand through his hair with a sigh.

"No good memories being on a boat? I mean I doubt you've gone canoeing but does the fire nation have anything like that?" Sokka tilted his head to the side curiously.

"I had to take a boat to get to my family's vacation house, when I was a kid," Zuko offered quietly not really sure if he clearly remembered those days.

"See that's something! Why did you guys stop if it was a happy memory?" The older boy smiled brightly.

".. my mom died?" Zuko said slowly raising a brow.

"Oh, sorry," sokkas face turned red in embarrassment and looked down in shame.

"Don't be, I barely remember," he waved him off casually.

"Really?" Toph turned now interested.

"How old were you?" Sokka asked now with sympathy.

"Nine," Zuko shrugged.

"I was eight," Sokka nodded understanding. "I don't remember my mom either,"

"That's scary," Toph whispered leaning on the bench Zuko was on.

"Yea, it is, I just remember her voice kind of, I don't remember her face anymore," Zuko agreed.

Sokka looked at him softly, he didn't realize how much he and a fire nation solider would have in common. He didn't remember his mothers face or voice anymore, he knows the memories and if he saw her again he would be able to pick her from a crowd. But when he tried to picture her face, he never could. But instead he would see his sister instead, that voice in his  head to tell him to think things through or to pick up after himself was Katara. Not his own mom.

"Have you slept yet? It's almost midnight, it's been two days," Sokka groaned a little seeing Zuko zoned out again.

"Nope, not till Katara sleeps," Zuko shook his head.

"I told you I'm fine! I'm not tired!" Katara heard her name from across the ship.

"Then I'm not sleeping either!" Zuko yelled back sitting up.

"Your so ridiculous for fucks sake," she scoffed as some men chuckled at their youngest warrior.

"It's not a competition, I really just can't sleep, I'm antsy and wide awake," Katara stormed over and towered over Zuko while he was sitting.

"I'm antsy and wide awake too," he told her calmly.

She growled to herself a little as Zuko looked at her challengingly. She was stubborn but he was determined, neither of them would break until the final moment. They both knew it.