Proof

Zuko stood on the ferry watching over the waters holding a bowl of something that could be soup, porridge, or just garbage that's been labeled food. He didn't eat it but held it while he zoned out.

He was alone again.

He took this time to recall everything that happened In the last few weeks. He was with the avatar and his friends, they helped him even after so much anger from both sides.

And now he was refugee.

"Guess I am nothing more than just dirt," Zuko whispered dumping his bowl of garbage into the waters below.

He was once a prince, to a hard working soldier, to a criminal, and now he's a refugee in the earth kingdom, where is he to go now?

Zuko reached in his pocket and grabbed the letter Xai gave him. To be safe in the walls? Did he want to be known for anything more than a refugee? Did he want that help?

He didn't open the letter. He would save it for when he truly had no options.

"Well well well, if it isn't the mystery boy that jumped ship," a familiar voice chuckled behind him. Zuko looked back seeing Jet, and he wasn't alone.

"Lee, out of everywhere to unite with someone this is definitely the strangest," Jet walked over slapping his hand on zukos back.

"What brings You to ba sing si?" He smiled mischievously as smellerbee and long shot joined them.

"Just looking for a new start," Zuko rasped shrugging him off.

"Aren't we all," Jet agreed.

"I heard the captain of this ship gives peasants like us his scraps, while he eats like a king," Jet looked at him smirking a little.

"What kind on king?" Zuko looked at him calmly.

"Fat happy kind," his smile grew, his companions smiled a little as well.

"Your stealing from the captain?" Zuko asked openly. So much for starting fresh.

"When the sun goes down, are you with us?" Smellerbee asked curiously.

"Count me in," he nodded dropping his empty bowl on the ground and joined the freedom fighters.

-

"It's cool that your letting your hair grow long after chopping it so short," smellerbee sat next to Zuko with the other two boys eating their fresh food that they all stole and handed out to other refugees and allowed themselves to enjoy the reward.

"I haven't really thought about it," Zuko touched his head as his hair was starting to cover around his ears.

"It'll cover your scar at least," Jet ate the bread.

"I guess so," he nodded also not thinking about his scar for a while. It's apart of him, he forgets till he's somewhere that people will stare at him for it. Other refugees must not stare knowing why.

"Hey from what I heard, people eat like this every night in the walls," Jet looked at his group smugly. "I can't wait to set my eyes on that magnificent wall,"

"I heard it's everything your thinking about," Zuko nodded.

"You have family that have been?" Jet asked surprised.

"My.. cousin and uncle, where there once, they passed away," he slurped some noodles keeping his eyes down.

"My uncle believed in second chances, I'm giving it to myself in a way, get to be someone no one's ever met, I don't know who I'll be," Zuko rubbed his neck, he didn't sound enthusiastic about it, dreading it more, feeling lost within himself.

"We give ourselves second chances for those who saw it in us, our family's that we lost, friends, I've done things I'm not proud of, I'm hoping to be better when I get a life inside," Jet agreed with a smile.

-

The next day they would arrived at the train station that would take them into the city itself, the bay was ending and they would have to wait their turn to ride the train safely in the walls.

"You know, as soon as I saw tote scar I knew exactly who you were," Jet saw Zuko sulking alone once again.

Zuko didn't answer.

"Your an outcast like me, and is outcasts have to stick together, we have to watch each others backs because no one else will, what you said last night really made me believe we have a similar path," Jet stood with him chewing on the straw between his teeth.

"I've realized lately that being on your own isn't always the best path, but it's one that will hurt the least amount of people," Zuko didn't look at him.

They arrived at the docks and people unloaded off the boat and into another cavern that would have tunnels for the trains to get to the city. Zuko tried to break off from the freedom fighters but Jet was on his trail.

After getting through with the tickets to get to the train station, Jet was lingering around on the bench with Zuko as the soldier was just trying to have some peace and quiet to himself.

"Lee, can I talk to you?" Jet asked motioning to stand up so they could walk.

"You and I have a much better chance of making it in the city if we stick together," Jet started off as smellerbee and long shot stayed on the bench.

"Wanna join the freedom fighters?" He offered smiling proudly.

"Thanks but I don't think you want me in your gang," Zuko crossed his arms tiredly.

"Come on, we made a great team looting the captains food, think of all the good we could do for these refugees," Jet insisted.

"I said no," Zuko said firmly and walked away before Jet could push anymore on the topic.

"Have it your way,"

Jet frowned at the rejection as he watched Zuko go past his own friends and kept walking to get distance. It was strange how 'Lee' wanted to be completely isolated from any person who dared to get close. He knew he was suppose to be on the run from the fire nation, that's probably why he was going to ba sing se in the first place.

Unless...

Someone isolating from everyone in the earth kingdom and on the run from the fire nation?

Jets eyes widen as he saw a glimpse of 'Lee' turning a corner.

The guy had to be from the fire nation, not just the colonies. And even worst, he could be a fire bender.

He needed the proof. He needed to make sure.