More than a Lifetime

"There is it, that's Rokus home," Aang flew them to an island that was covered in dark rock that used to be lava.

"But there's nothing here?" Katara looked around as they landed and Toph immediately jumped on the land.

"Yes there is, an entire village, hundreds of houses," Toph could feel through the earth. "It's all covered in ash,"

"No one's been here since the island was destroyed, it's forbidden," Zuko stayed on appa while they got off the bison.

"Did avatar Roku really contact you through dreams? It sounds made up?" He raised a brow.

"He gets spooky stuff all the time, spirits, plants, animals, all of it," Sokka waved him off.

"Says the one standing on a grave, the last avatars grave, expect to be haunted," Zuko narrowed his eyes and Sokka squeaked in fear.

"Don't tell him he's going to get haunted, get down from the bison," Katara put her hands on her hips.

"My fire nation blood tells me not too," Zuko shrugged.

"You can't be serious," her face dropped. He didn't budge.

"You believe in ghosts?" Aang smirked a little as appa followed the group and let Zuko stay aboard.

"Only the avatar died on the island, all civilians lived including his wife," Zuko corrected.

"Fire lord sozin forbid anyone to step on the island, no ships come over here," he shrugged laying on his back enjoying the empty saddle.

"That's the thing, Roku said I needed to learn about fire lord sozin, about how the war started, that's the only way to know how to end it," Aang explained and saw a ledge the faced the ocean and the sun.

"Isn't killing the fire lord how to end it?" Toph groaned.

"I don't know, I haven't talked to Roku," Aang replied in a sassy tone.

Aang stood on the ledge facing the sun as it touched the horizon of the ocean, he sat in a meditation position and inhaled deeply, his arrow glowed and his body relaxed.

"Well there he goes," Sokka motioned and boredly sat on the ground.

"How long is this going to take?" Zuko leaned over the edge of the saddle

"Why don't you come down?" Katara tilted her head to the side.

"No," Zuko looked at the ground disturbed.

"You fire nation folks are so strange," Toph sighed.

-

When the night came they all hung around waiting for aangs journey in the spirit world to be over, Zuko didn't dare step foot on the island and no one bothered him anymore for it. He tossed Sokka and Toph the snacks they asked for.

"Got room?" Katara stood by appa as the bison was napping.

"No," Zuko said flatly and she climbed up anyways.

"How's your neck?" Katara sat on the saddle. It's been three days but the bruises still were there.

"It's just sore, it'll be fine," Zuko touched his neck looking down.

"I think Azula sent the assassin," he whispered for her to only hear. Katara scooted closer to listen.

"Is that why you got hurt and Aang didn't?" She pursed her lips. Azula did want him gone.

"He was paid to kill, I saw the symbol on his head, those are chi benders, rare fire benders that focus their chi into the third eye," he explained and she nodded.

"Don't worry about it, he's still human, one person," Zuko told her softly seeing the worry.

"I'm just glad he didn't go after you instead," he pursed his lips.

Kataras heart skipped a bit and her cheeks flushed. Why did that make her face heat up so much? Thank the spirits it was dark. She covered her cheeks a little to cool down.

Zuko raised a brow confused why she turned away from him, maybe she was mad that he put Aang in danger? At least she didn't yell.

When the sun started to rise again Aang returned to his body and yawned a little scratching his head. He turned seeing everyone sleeping behind him and got up seeing Zuko still was on appa.

"Morning everyone, do I got a story to tell you," Aang smiled brightly when they started to wake up from the noise.

-

Aang explained to them the history of sozin and Roku, how they use to be best friends, the trust and the betrayal between them, how the war started, how Rokus life ended...

How fate created the avatar and the fire lords paths in the war.

"You mean after all Roku and sozin went through together, even after Roku showed him mercy, sozin betrayed him like that?" Katara was shocked by the death of aangs past life.

"It's like these people are born to be bad," Toph mumbled to herself. "Except you Zuko,"

Zuko glared a little but wasn't bothered.

"No that's wrong," Aang stopped her.

"I don't think that was the point of what Roku showed me at all," he explained looking down, thinking of the life of the avatar before him.

"What was the point?" Sokka asked.

"Roku was just as much fire nation as sozin right? If anything their story proves anyone's capable of great good and great evil. Everyone even the fire lord and the fire nation have to be treated like they're worth giving a chance," Aang smiled softly.

"And I also think it was about friendship," he looked at Zuko.

"Do you really think friendships can last more than one life time?" Toph asked softly.

"I don't see why not," Aang grabbed her hand reassuringly.

Zukos eyes soften at the idea. Sozin and Roku were friends...

If only Aang knew zukos truth. The avatar and prince of the fire nation friends again.

"You're so strange," Zuko rolled his eyes with a huff.

"We're trying to be sentimental Zuko," Katara groaned in a motherly tone.

"Still a strange child," he hummed.