In the city

Zuko sat in the train patiently as he played with the small knife he gained back, touching the sharp point to his fingertip boredly as he watched out the window. He heard a baby making noises across from him and looked over at the noise curiously.

"Oh it's the boy from outside the walls?" Ying smiled brightly recognizing Zuko easily.

"Hello," Zuko rasped quietly at the husband and wife. And their baby.

"You had your baby," he said more surprised.

"Our daughter, her name is hope," the mother smiled kindly shifting the infant to face Zuko more.

"Congratulations, glad to see you made it," he nodded almost shy.

"You as well, we traveled serpents past with your friends," the husband cradled the baby so his wife could have a break.

"Why did you split off young man?" He asked concerned, these people were kind it almost made them seem ignorant to know who would have bad intentions.

"They're not my friends, I was only traveling with them for a small amount of time," Zuko told them monotonely .

"But they all made it safely as well?" He couldn't help but ask.

"They did, even after that little girl almost drown and we almost fell off the cliff, and the serpent that tried to kill us, everyone was safe," the mother smiled reassuringly but Zuko looked at them like they were crazy.

"Are you all alone here now?" She asked softly.

"I guess so," Zuko leaned back with a sigh.

It was dark for a moment as the train passed through the wall and they were in the city.

"Whoa," Zuko turned fully to look out the window and see how huge the city truly was. His uncle was right, it is a magnificent city.

The train came to a stop and the doors opened for everyone to exit. Zuko let the small family take the lead so they didn't get stuck in the back, there was crowds all around and he looked around curiously to see if there was any direction.

A woman came up to the family before asking them questions and another woman in same uniform and similar appearance approached him next with a clipboard.

"Hello traveler, I'm judee, I'm here to help you find where you will find a home," the woman smiled up at him making Zuko feel uneasy.

"Do you have any family within the walls?" She questioned.

"No, it's just me," Zuko shook his head.

"What is your name and age?" She looked down at her board with a writing utensil.

"Lee, I'm 16," he rubbed his neck awkwardly.

"Are you looking for a job right away? And how much money have you brought with?" She wrote down his answers while she questioned more.

"I guess, and I-I don't have any money," he held his bag tighter to his chest.

"That's okay! Ba sing se makes sure all of its civilians are okay," she waved him off as Zuko frowned again.

"You will be in the lower rink, they will have plenty of jobs for You, you might even be able to find a studio after a few days of working," judee handed him a small piece of paper that would be his identification for work and a home. It looked important.

"Welcome to ba sing se," she bowed and walked away to help the next new incomers.

Zukos heart pounded in his chest anxiously walking out of the station to go to the lower rink. He followed some carriages that only allowed those who had clothes that aren't covered in dirt and holes. Not far the lower rink was and was full of the poor.

He grabbed the bag from his pocket with a few copper pieces, he didn't want that judee to take any of the little money he had left, earth kingdom soldiers were known for that even if it was for nothing.

First he needed a meal.

-

Zuko sat in the alleyway with a small cup of noodles that was cold from being out almost all day, he looked to make sure no one was by, warming his hands up slightly to warm up his noodles.

He ate them while staring at the letter his commander gave him. He sipped the warm broth of the noodles and thought about it, he said he didn't want to get help unless he needed it.

But he was in enemy territory and alone.

Zuko let himself open the letter and take out the paper, his uncles handwriting. A cherry blossom folded against the paper, a small part of home.

My dearest nephew,

Everyone has their own path in the world, some are easy and the end is in sight. For others there is parts where you may trip, get stuck, get lost, and for you my boy have been on a very difficult path full of grief and pain. One where you have been alone.
But no matter where you are in the world, in the war, in your life, I always pray and wish for your safety, from different lands there is no much I can do to save you from your fathers wrath.
I hope you are safe in ba sing se, how is the city? Those walls are still strong I know that.
Do please visit your cousin, Lu ten is a great listener. I am sad I will not be able to visit him till the war is over. So for me, talk to him.
The reason I wrote to you, I have an ally within the walls, he doesn't know who or what you are, just a boy who needs a home. I hope you allow yourself to get the help you deserve.
Prince Zuko, do stay safe.

I love you my nephew.

Yours truly-
Iroh

Zuko felt a few tears run down his face as he set the letter down next to him. He covered his eyes with his palms trying to stop crying.

"Fuck," Zuko rasped as his hands slithered back to cover over his ears and gripped his hair.

He missed his uncle so much, he missed the kind old man who always welcomed him with a warm smile, who wasn't afraid to hug him even if his father discouraged affection for men and boys. He missed his uncle, he missed his commander, he missed lee, he missed his family so much it hurt.

The sun was setting and Zuko knew he was alone. But because he was alone he allowed himself to sob quietly in the alleyway like the lost child he was.

He missed people that cared about him.

-

Zuko walked into a small shop as a bell chimed when he opened the door. It was a small tea shop that was empty due to being just about closing time.

"Hello?" Zuko called not seeing anyone.

"Huh? Are You a customer?" A woman asked walking from the back.

"Uh no, I'm looking for Hai," he gulped a little as the small old woman walked over curiously.

"Ah, are you sent by the dragon?" Hai tsked not looking impressed.

"My name is Lee," Zuko nodded. She must meant the dragon of the west.

"He told me you might be able to help me?" He pursed his lips looking at her tiredly.

"Hm, I might, are You strong? I need someone tall and strong to take care of somethings," hai used a cane to walk around Zuko like a vulture, inspecting his stance.

"Yes ma'am,"

"I can help then," she grinned standing in front.

"You know how to make tea?" Hai asked gruffly.

"Kind of? I can boil water," Zuko looked down at her a little intimidated.

"Good enough, you work for me now kid, you prove you can work and I'll think about letting you rent an apartment few streets over, I own a good couple of buildings here," hai tapped her cane on the ground.

"Oh, where should I stay now?" Zuko asked confused.

"Back room, I can't have my employees sleeping in the dirt, you sleep on the floor inside, I'll get you a pillow and blanket," she walked away to go upstairs.

"Lock the door, I'm done working," she called down to him and Zuko slowly went to close and lock the door in the front.