Deal

Zuko sat quietly as iroh poured him a cup of jasmine tea, he was lost for words to even start a conversation with the old man. Iroh looked calm as usual and no awkward tension to him, it was definitely one sided.

"How's home?" Zuko gulped. Fuck. Why did he have to say something first.

"It's still there, not much has changed," iroh smiled gently as he waited for the tea to cool down.

Zuko nodded a little but didn't touch the tea.

"Have You made any friends? I'm sure you got along with some of the other soldiers," iroh offered as they sat at the table together.

"I guess, they think I'm 18, except one, I just told him though," Zuko gulped softly as he clenched his fists in his lap.

"But they've been kind," he mumbled.

That relieved the old man, he knew his nephew had a journey to take with a completely different life style, he was young enough to change himself easier to the new life. It made him sad that he couldn't be there to help lead him.

"Did you know I was going to be coming?" Zuko asked as he finally picked up the tea.

"No, if I did I would've brought you some stuff," iroh smiled gently.

"I got your letters," the old man said softly and Zuko gulped.

"Lee wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote when I first joined, you were the only one I wanted to write too," Zuko shrugged as he sipped the hot tea. He savored the taste, he loved jasmine tea, he doesn't get flavored drinks or food often.

"I saved every letter," iroh smiled.

Zuko gulped as he looked out the window on his left, his unscarred face turned to his uncle as iroh watched him. How much of a man he grew into, but it felt like he hasn't smiled in years, seeing the maturity in his eyes that were surrounded by sadness. He wondered what happened to the rage fueled boy that left for the army and came back as a quiet soldier.

"How many men are going to die?" Zuko sighed, memorized by the ocean.

Iroh choked on his tea a little at the straight forward question.

"Zuko-" "I'm just curious," he shrugged.

"Why? We hope for the minimum as always," iroh shook his head a little but the boy shrugged again.

"Everyone hopes for the minimum, no one wants their soldiers to die even if theyre replaceable tools, no one wants to bury another body, to waste their time digging up dirt or burning into ashes, no one hopes to do that," Zuko told him as he leaned against the table a little still looking out the window.

"But that's not realistic, we're fighting water benders in their territory, in their element, I'm not a stupid kid that hopes for no lives to be taken," he closed his eyes slightly irritated.

"Then why ask?" Iroh asked intrigued in the boys thinking.

"I just want to know how many of my friends bags I'll be carrying back to camp, 17 men came with me from my camp, am I carrying at 17 or just 5?" Zuko turned to him with a cold look in his eyes.

"If you think for the worst, the worst will happen prince Zuko," iroh pursed his lips.

"If you think for the best, you'll be sorely let down by the worst," Zuko shot back.

"And it's just Zuko," he stood up quickly.

"It was good to see you again uncle, I hope you stay safe during today's battle," Zuko bowed to him before leaving.

"Zuko wait," iroh got to his feet with a gasp.

He immediately grabbed his nephews arm before he could get to the door, the taller boy looked at him but it broke irohs heart. His face was emotionless, like a doll, he looked at him like he didn't understand the urgency in his uncle.

"Stay with me, I can't lose you, I already lost three years," iroh tightened his grip on the boy.

"Uncle please," Zuko sighed.

"We're not family, you don't have to pretend to care," there was pain in his voice as he swallowed a lump in his throat.

"You'll always be family to me," iroh slid his hand up and grasped his shoulder with a small squeeze.

"You'll always be like a son to me," he whispered. 

Zukos chest ached but stayed silent. He didn't know what to say, he was abandoned to the war grounds. Never blaming his uncle but he felt alone, no one defended him, he was just a kid...

"I don't know if I'm ever going home, you should let go, it'll be better for both of us," Zuko told him gently and iroh let go in surprise. Tears welded up in the old mans eyes.

Zuko left before anything else could be said but zhao found him before he could go back to Lee on the other ship.

"I need your answer Zuko, will you do it?" Zhao stood in front of him.

"Am I getting anything out of it?" Zuko glared up at him.

"Your not going to get credit for capturing the avatar if that's what your asking, your going in the tribe to clear my path or to wait for my arrival," zhao scoffed at him.

"I'm going out of my way to get your glory, I know what they do to fire benders, freeze them to death or let them drown, I already volunteered to join you," Zuko snarled back not backing down now.

"Fine, I'll let you come with me when I deliver the avatar to your father, call it a participation award," zhao rolled his eyes but Zuko didn't care for the answer.

"I'll have extra supply and food sent to your troops," he sighed giving in and the boy nodded firmly.

"That's the best you can do? Should've expected that," Zuko crossed his arms seeing how far he could push the admiral.

"What do you want?" Zhao sneered.

"Shelter for one, those men have been sleeping on dirt while your fat ass eats all three meals and let others do your dirty work," Zuko spat in disgust that he had to do this for the soldiers that give their lives up for the nation. And only for them to get the bare minimum.

"Fine, what else?" Zhao knew there was more.

"I want partial credit, not half but at least like a quarter, if I'm successful in the capture before you get there," Zuko shrugged a little and zhao growled a little.

"Fine, that's it," zhao clenched his fists tightly.

"And I'm not going alone," he added quickly.

"What? To weak?" Zhao taunted but Zuko noticed his uncle stood at the door listening to them.

"I'm going in enemy territory, if I'm caught I'll need someone to have my back, two men, that's all I ask, I'm going against water benders," Zuko told him sternly. The admiral thought for a moment but finally agreed.

"That is all your going to get, got it brat?" Zhao shook his head and Zuko agreed with a firm handshake.

"You have by night fall to get off this ship and start heading to the tribe," he hissed at him and Zuko nodded understanding his orders.

"I'll do my best," Zuko said, no emotions behind his eyes.