Exhaustion

It hit noon by the next day and Hakoda hasn't heard a peep from the tent the children were in, he wanted to make sure they all were well rested but as a father he wanted to make sure they were alright.

He told his men they had the avatar in recovery but at the same time... the world thought the avatar was dead. That almost could work in their favor.

"Bato how's the earth king?" Hakoda asked his second in command as he gathered a meal for the children.

"He has not stopped talking," bato said flatly. They looked to the side seeing the king chatting away happily with the water tribe warriors and wanted to know more about the world.

"Has anyone come out yet?" He asked motioning to the tent.

"No but I had to stop that kid from going in, multiple times," bato pointed at Jet who was pouting still with a bruise on his face.

"Keep it that way, we don't know his intentions," Hakoda nodded and opened the tent to see if anyone was awake.

He saw Sokka and Toph sleeping against each other next to aangs bed and on the other side of the bed was Zuko and Katara talking, Zuko was sitting on the bed playing with Kataras hair while she was talking with her eyes closed and knees to her chest. Multiple braids throughout her hair.

"Is it okay to come in?" Hakoda caught their attention.

"Yea just keep it down," Katara looked over at him innocently.

"I don't think I properly introduce myself, my name is Hakoda, Katara and sokkas father," he walked over and set the food down to Katara.

"Honor to meet you sir," Zuko bowed in respect.

"My name is Zuko, I'm grateful for your tribe to allow me to stay," he said but noticed Hakoda's hand out to him.

"A soldier is a soldier, my children wouldn't let you stand for this long if you had dangerous intentions," Hakoda grabbed his hand for a firm shake, seeing he didn't understand at first.

"Oh trust me it's been a process," Katara smiled teasingly.

"Shh he brought food," Zuko hushed her making her laugh.

"Did you two get any sleep?" The older man crouched down to stick around, he missed his time with his daughter, and wanted his son to rest.

"No, I spent a few hours trying to heal Aang, Zuko helped me wrap him up, make sure his wounds stay clean," Katara took some of the food, Zuko looked at it curiously but it wasn't familiar.

"Seal jerky," she held it up to him.

"Oh nice," he grabbed a bit to try.

"Can I ask how you gained a fire nation soldier on your side? The avatars side no less? I'm only going to ask once cause I don't want to push but I'm clearing the elephant-whale in the room," Hakoda motioned to the boy as they both ate.

"Met at the North Pole at the invasion, tried to kidnapped Aang, followed us for a little, got injured by Azula, we yelled a lot and since then things have been smooth," Katara shrugged casually. Zuko nodded.

"And your not with the army now why?" He raised a brow.

"Azula made me a wanted criminal so I ran away, that's when I followed them to hunt the avatar for my own revenge, treason and stuff," Zuko ate more seal jerky.

"Also something about Sokka wanting me for a map I don't have, jokes on him I haven't stepped foot on fire nation land for years," he remembered but shrugged it off.

"Didnt You have the fire nation history memorized?" Katara asked confused.

"I had really good education and studies were important to my parents, remember?" Zukos eye twitched looking at her.

"Oh yea," she smiled awkwardly.

"We can use all the fighters we can find, your own past is your business, I won't ask any thing more," Hakoda chuckled at their dynamic.

"Thank you for keeping my daughter safe, for having her back, for that you have my trust," he smiled at the teen.

"Katara You need a break dear, please find time to sleep today," he stood and kissed his daughters head gently before leaving the kids alone again.

"Your dads really nice, I thought he hated me," Zuko mumbled.

"He doesn't hate people,"Katara smiled softly.

"He's always been there but when our mom died he.. he's fighting stronger to end the war, that's why he left," her smile started to fall. Reality settling back in.

"You know it's been way over 24 hours since you've slept last, maybe You should lay down?" Zuko notice her demeanor faulted.

"No I have to get back to Aang, he needs to wake up," Katara took the little braids out and ran a hand through her hair, it was still down from the usual style, falling down her back.

"You've done everything you could," Zuko stood up and stopped her from bending the water.

"I can keep healing," she frowned surprised that he stopped her.

"He's healed, his wound is a scar, you did everything already," Zuko didn't move out of her way.

"There's always more I can do, move," Katara tried to go around but his hand grabbed her shoulder.

"Listen to me, he's going to wake up, but that's his own consciousness that's going to do it," he whispered keeping his hand on her shoulder.

"No, your wrong," she breathed, she could feel herself getting worked up again, her chest tightened and throat felt like she was choking.

"No, I'm telling you to stop, enough," he warned.

"I don't want to argue with you," Katara pursed her lips.

"I don't either, just listen to me, please," Zuko kept his voice quiet, tears pricking the corners of her eyes and a few slipped down Kataras face.

"I hate this," Katara turned to him as she started to cry again.

"I hate this so much," she stepped right into him and wrapped her arms around his chest as she cried.

Zuko was surprised she went for an embrace from him as she cried, he looked at Sokka and Toph for help but they were sound asleep still. He lowered his arms and rested them around her, he wasn't great with comforting but he tried.

"I'm sorry," Zuko whispered holding her head and upper back letting her cry against him. Resting his cheek against the side of her head.