Another night

That night Katara couldn't sleep, she rolled back and forth, trying to find a way to get her mind to take a break and just sleep, to much was happening and to much happened already. She sat up frustrated as her hair laid around her shoulders and past her back, not bothering to put it up in its usual state as she got up to take a walk. The last few days has made her feel crazy.

She left the group seeing the fire already was put out and everyone was fast asleep, she didn't want to disturb any of them so she left the sight to go wonder around the temples.

Katara inhaled a deep breath pushing her hair out of her face and looking over at the cliff side where the moon and stars shined over. Her head hurt with all the stress.

"You too?" A familiar voice surprised her as Katara jumped seeing Zuko.

"I can't even say I'm surprised your up," she put her hand over her chest at the startle.

"Am I that predictable?" He teased as he was sitting on the edge of the temple where it would drop off hundreds of meters, but his legs dangled over the side.

"Only a little," she smiled and took a seat next to him without hesitation.

"What's been bugging you?" Zuko looked at her curiously. He seemed wide awake.

"What makes you think I'm being bugged?" Katara sighed even if it was obvious.

"You're a little on edge today, I appreciate you staying on my side but is it coming from somewhere else?" Zuko poked at her head but she swatted him away.

"And you seemed a little irritated with Aang," he pursed his lips, Katara didn't react to that one. She looked down and swung her feet a little.

"Tara?" He whispered, that must've been a big one that was bothering her.

"Aang didn't know if he was going to come back from the invasion, if he faced Ozai... and he um.. he kissed me before he left," katara covered her face embarrassed, she felt her stomach twist as she finally told someone.

"Oh, yea I guess he has had a crush on you," Zuko mumbled awkwardly.

"I didn't know his feelings would go that far though.. and I can't hurt him but I just don't.. I don't see us ever being like that," Katara groaned as her hands slid from her face and began to twist at the ends of her hair.

"Then before he was just being so childish and I always have to consider his feelings, make sure hes okay, make sure hes fed and ready to be the avatar but hes never even asked if i needed help with just every day tasks," she rambled a little.

"I just don't see us being partners like that, i feel like i just always need to take care of him," she sighed, she couldn't look at Zuko after that rant but he watched her and listened.

"I don't know much about relationships, or anything really, but I do know you should always trust your gut, trust instincts, they're there for a reason," zuko offered and she nodded.

"He's just not great at being told no, when it doesn't go his way, but he thinks I'm some perfect girl, I'm not," katara twisted her hair around her finger anxiously.

"No you're definitely not perfect," Zuko snorted a little and she glared at him.

"Thanks," she rolled her eyes.

"Not even close to perfect," he smirked. "Your hot tempered, controlling, stubborn,"

Katara scoffed flipping him off but zukos grin stuck.

"Loyal, talented, caring, strong, but definitely not perfect, but I think that's why people tend to really like you, cause you have different sides to you, I don't think I'd even consider you a friend if you never yelled at me or tried to knock me out, I know those negative things about you are some of my favorite traits,"

Katara paused and felt heat rush to her face and looked away quickly.

"That's rude," she pouted.

"I'm not perfect either, I'd like to say I'm pretty up front even if it is rude," Zuko shrugged.

"You're also hot tempered, snarky, angry and loud," Katara shot back but saw he was still smiling.

"Ugh... but your also one of the kindest and gentle person I've ever met, your one of my favorite people cause your not perfect," she felt herself smile at how dumb they sounded.

"Thanks Zuko," she sighed.

"Any time you need me to tell you you're not perfect I'll be here waiting," Zuko hummed satisfied.

"You're such a jerk," she punched his arm and laughed.

"Do you think we'd be friends if anything was different? Like if you were a prince still and was trying to hunt down the avatar for whatever ridiculous reason," Katara leaned against his arm and he shrugged.

"Probably not but I'd like to think eventually we would've been, maybe we're just not meant to be friends right away, but to build a trust and some sort of relationship that makes us friends eventually, I like that we use to bicker and fight," zuko rested his head on top of hers as they looked at the stars.

"Please we still get to bicker," Katara smiled.

"Good, I need someone to hold me accountable," he liked that he got to smile, that she made him smile.

Katara sat up as she saw a shooting star far in the night sky, she pointed and looked at Zuko making sure he saw too. He nodded watching where it was and seemed calm and happy.

Kataras heart pounded in her chest and she leaned over to press a light kiss against his cheek, her lips touched the middle where his scar ended and his pale skin was, Zuko froze but didn't move, letting her lean against him again.

Heat rose to his own face now as Katara could hear his heart beating even faster than hers.

"What-" "it was a thank you, I don't think you know how much i really appreciate you Zuko," Katara smiled nervously but her face dropped when he turned his head away and almost was leaning away from her as well.

"Sorry I shouldn't have, I'm sorry if that made you feel uncomfortable," Katara sat up on her knees.

"I uh.. it's fine I just-just never-" Zuko couldn't find the words as he was even more flustered. Face was bright red.

"Never what?" She was worried.

"Never had anyone kiss my cheek-or scar- I um, no," Zuko placed his hand over his scar a little.

"Oh.." Katara pursed her lips and smiled a little to offer reassurance, he was older but he felt so innocent sometimes.

"It's fine it's fine I just never had anyone kiss me- I mean my scar!" He tried to help his case but it was getting worse.

"You haven't even had your first kiss?" Katara was surprised. Sure there's been a war but Zuko was a handsome young man, no one could deny that, so it was very surprising he hasn't had anyone make a move.

"No?" He thought it was obvious though.

Katara covered her mouth a little as she couldn't help but admire how sweet he was, the scary fire nation soldier was cute like this. She wished she could tell him her feelings, but he was innocent to know what she means.

"Lemme know when you want that then," she sighed standing up to go back to bed.

"What? What do you mean?" He was flustered.

"Don't think to hard about it dummy," she winked back at him before leaving him to himself.

Zuko felt as if his breath was taken away, was that flirting? Was she flirting with him? Did she mean it? After her frustrations with Aang she would kiss his cheek?!

She didn't find his face hideous...

"What the hell?" Zuko covered his face and fell on his back even more confused. Why did his heart feel so light and so jittery?