Better

"Katara where have you been?!" Sokka yelled as his sister slammed the door open as she was out of breath from running back to the house.

"Sorry! I got lost!" She wheezed while everyone was waiting for her.

"Lost?" Toph made a face.

"We've been worried sick!" Aang ran into the room.

"I'm sorry I forgot and I got lost," Katara inhaled deeply with her hands on her hips before breaking into a harsh cough.

"You okay?" Sokka was surprised.

"I'm fine don't worry about me, let's head to the earth king I can't believe you didn't go without me," she waved them off.

"Aangs been with appa all day, Sokka went in the morning but with long feng being arrested he's been busy being updated about the war, didn't seem in a chatty mood from what I heard," Toph shrugged crossing her arms and the older girl nodded relieved almost.

"Come on let's go now then," Aang smiled brightly and they went to go back to the palace.

Aang and Sokka chatted ahead as Katara seemed to be in her own thoughts and Toph stayed close by curiously. Katara was worried about leaving Zuko alone but she knew he was capable taking care of himself, but the fever he had was severe.

"Who have You been seeing behind our backs?" Toph hummed curiously.

"Huh?" Katara snapped out of her thoughts.

"Almost every day You go in the city, your gone for hours till dinner, I doubt you've been alone the whole time," Toph snorted but kept her voice down.

"No one, I like the market," Katara rolled her eyes but her face got warm.

"No way it's my sparky boy isn't it?" Toph gasped excitedly.

"No shut up, Shh," she hissed quickly but Toph smiled more.

"You totally found him, how is my favorite guy?" The blind girl balled her fists up with a small shake.

"I forgot about the earth king cause he got the flu, he's been pretty bad," Katara sighed giving in finally.

"Bad how?" Toph asked.

"Hallucinations earlier, his brother, he was throwing up a lot, pretty bad fever, he's just weak right now, I'm going back after we're done," she explained and Toph nodded listening.

"Alright I'll come with," Toph grinned.

"No he doesn't want all of us knowing where he lives much less the area he's in for work too," Katara shook her head.

"I'm definitely coming with," Toph argued. "We don't have to tell those two idiots,"

"Fine, just don't tell anyone," she groaned a little at her losing battle. She hoped Zuko was going to be upset.

-

Zuko slept like a log all day under multiple blankets and buried his face in his pillow. He felt helpless and exhausted he couldn't move fast from the body aches that weighed him down.

Zukos eyes snapped open hear the bottom door open and there was multiple foot steps up the stairs. Not just one person.

He grabbed the knife under his pillow as he watched the door to his apartment open and immediately threw the knife without hesitation.

Two girls screamed surprised at the knife that impaled the wooden door.

"Hey! That could've hit us!" Katara cried out with Toph behind her.

"Oh, it's just you," Zuko laid back down watching Toph feel around to the wall.

"I can't see shit in here, all wood," Toph held onto the wall and Katara.

"You brought her?" He frowned at them.

"You know how Toph is, how are You feeling?" Katara asked walking towards him and touched his forehead again while Zuko stayed down.

"I've been asleep all day," he mumbled.

"You sound like a child," Toph snorted.

"Can you like come back tomorrow? I have to much of a headache for this," Zuko glared at her annoyed.

"What? You like sugar queen more than me?" Toph gasped sarcastically.

"She's quiet,"

"Aw," Katara smiled but Zuko glared at her too.

"Hey I said I was gonna come back," she pointed out.

"How was the earth king?" Zuko sighed sitting up with his cheeks flushed a deep red from the fever still.

Both girls were quiet.

"What happened?" He frowned.

"We're all splitting up, turns out the dai lee has files on everyone and we found some letters that were hidden from us, tophs going to find her mom in the city, aangs going to visit a guru with appa, and sokka and I agreed he's going to go see our dad," Katara sat on the bed with her legs pulled up.

"And you?" He tilted his head to the side.

It was sad to have the opportunity to see her father postponed but it didn't mean she'd never see him again. Sokka has been waiting years to fight along side with their father, he deserved the time he could get. But she wouldn't be completely alone.
"I'm not going, I'm going to stay back and help plan out the invasion," Katara smiled but he could see there was disappointment.

"And your moms in the city? I thought you were like an orphan," Zuko looked back at Toph confused.

"Nope, runaway, both parents are alive and wealthy, but my mom actually came to talk to me... it has to mean something," Toph crossed her arms leaning against the wall.

"It's complicated," Katara whispered to him.

"Hey all of us will be in the city though, it won't be completely boring," Toph gave them a thumbs up. "As long as I'm not third wheeling,"

Both of them looked at her not understanding.

"What's third wheeling?" Zuko asked and Katara snapped her head at him more confused.

"Anyways," she blinked needing to move on.

"Aang and Sokka are leaving tomorrow afternoon, why don't you stay with us tonight Zuko? We have like three extra bedrooms, being alone still sick can't be good," Katara sighed but he rolled his eyes.

"I'm better now," he shook his head holding the blanket around his shoulders.

"I feel so ignored," Toph slid down the wall pouting.

"You insisted on coming," Katara told her flatly.

"So?"

"Zuko why don't you wash up, put a shirt and shoes on, we're all going for a walk, you need fresh air," she stood up and both teens groaned dramatically.

"I'm tired," he complained.

"You've been here all day, get going, I'll tell hai your feeling better, we'll meet you outside," Katara smiled smugly as he glared.

"Fine," he bit out.

"Hey why doesn't Zuko come with to say bye with us tomorrow when Aang and Sokka take off?" Toph asked as she and Katara went to leave.

"I will not," Zuko heard them.

"Im sure they both miss you," Katara giggled as he got out of the bed.

"I do not want to see them," he rolled his eyes.

"I'll send them your way for a group hug," she laughed.

"Don't you dare!" He threw a shoe at the door as the girls laughter echoed behind them.