Pond

There was a hand clasped over zukos mouth as he was startled awake, snatching the hand that covered his mouth quickly but was shushed.

"Shh," one of the men, don, silenced the child as Zuko looked around seeing some men sneaking around the dead fire.

"Don't wake commander, come on," don smirked helping him up as they left some of the men to sleep.

"What? What's going on?" Zuko rubbed his face confused as he pulled his hair that laid on his shoulders into a high top knot.

"Come on, it's a farewell," don pulled him along as the men whispered going through the forest.

"Lee found a pond," jay squealed excited running past him.

"I'm amazing I know," Lee chuckling as they all ran down the trail and Zuko heard a splash in the distance.

People were already jumping in the small pond in the middle of the woods as pants and shirts were thrown off before leaping in. He stopped as he was the only one left to jump in.

"Aw come on Zuko you can't be grumpy now!" Jay whined in the water.

"I rather watch," Zuko took his boots off and placed his feet in the water instead.

"Either get in the water or we're pulling you in," Lee grinned with evil in his brown eyes.

"Then I'm going back to bed-" Zuko let out a scream as hands grabbed him and pulled him into the water.

"You bastards, you absolute fuckers," Zuko gasped seeing his clothes were soaked.

"Yay!" Lee punched the air. Zuko glared darkly as he got out of the water with his black hair sticking to his face and forced to take his clothes off and hang them on the side to dry.

"I'm going to drown you," Zuko turned back as the men snickered seeing he looked like a wet cat. Zuko jumped into the water making Lee shriek in fear when he was dunked.

There was lots of splashing as Zuko dove under water to avoid the others but yelled when Lee pulled him back and threw him to the side with a large splash. There was laughter everywhere as the men acted like boys, playing and being all together like they were old friends.

Lee let out a shriek again when Zuko placed a bug on his shoulder, never seeing the man scream like a girl and show terror. Everyone laughed harder.

But Zuko burst out laughing as he covered his mouth with his eyes closed at Lee's reaction of the bug. Lee paused watching the boy cackle with his shoulders shaking and smiling brightly at the prank. He smiled back hopeful.

Jay nudged him with a grin. "He does laugh,"

"I know, I was starting to think maybe his face doesn't know how," Lee chuckled but watched his little brother slowly stop laughing but a small grin remained. He looked at peace but also a tint of sadness.

"I'm absolutely not telling zo that the only way you'll laugh is by putting bugs on me," Lee teased as Zuko rubbed his cheeks a little, it hurt a little from when he laughed.

"I'll just tell her myself," Zuko awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck looking down.

"Oh no you don't!" Lee cried out dunking him under the water again.

"What the fuck is going on here?!" Xai marched up to the pond as Zuko gasped up for air with a small laugh with Lee. He froze immediately dropping his smile seeing the commander.

"It was zuko's idea!" Everyone pointed to the youngest.

A few men snickered as Xai stared at Zuko who didn't look amused at the false accusation.

"Well that was completely irrational and could've risked everyone here, since you didn't invite me," Xai pulled his boots and shirt off before jumping in himself.

Everyone cheered happily as the commander joined them as he swam backwards.

"Your all going to hell," Zuko let out a breath of relief as Xai snorted.

"I've been thinking about this pond all week, ugh refreshing," Xai tilted his head back in the water as he just wanted to float. No one dared splashing him.

"It does feel nice," Zuko lowered himself so only his head was above water.

"I'm going to miss you pieces of shits, but you'll have cold breakfasts and sad beds waiting for you to come back, I know your going to come back," Xai told his men smiling a little as they chuckled at their commander.

"I'm proud to call you all soldiers," he raised his fist high. They all cheered raising a fist or two.

"I wonder what it's like in the North Pole?" Jay looked at them curiously since he was of the soldiers that would be staying behind.

"Cold," Zuko swam around them.

"It's going to be hell, I had traveling over seas, I didn't join the navy for a reason," Lee shivered a little knowing he was going to be sick.

"I always wanted to sail, I thought traveling over the seas was amazing," Zuko offered but looked up at the moon above them. "I learned how to read the stars and the constellations,"

"Really?" Xai asked surprised.

"It's easy once you know the constellations, like knowing north and south, west and east, when I first came here I wouldn't sleep so I'd see how many constellations I could find," he explained softly and pointed high.

"Orion is pretty important to know," he pointed at the three stars close to each other. "Also easy,"

"Also Ursa Major," Zuko smiled gently motioning to another. His mother showed him that one. Whenever he'd be lost just look for her in the stars. He loved that, it somehow was comforting.

"Nerd!" Jay called and immediately was hit in the back of the head.

"At least I can read," Zuko raised his brow at him.

"I can read!" Jay gasped offended.

"Can't read a map though," Lee teased and dodged being splashed.

"It's hard for some people!" Jay swam after him.

"Not for nerds," Zuko whistled innocently.

A lot of men noticed, they didn't want to say anything, every one of them have watched Zuko grow up since he came to the troops. Xai felt pride seeing how hard the boy has worked to earn their respect, their trust, he was a great soldier. A good man.

It relieved him so much seeing him starting to smile, he laughed once but that's all he needed. Who knew a simple laugh and smile could make the kid seem like he was a child...?