Trusts

"Does it hurt here?" Katara touched zukos nose as he flinched away with a hiss.

"Obviously yea," Zuko moved his face from her hands.

She didn't look amused and smacked him upside the head.

"Your the dumb ass that got in a fight, don't have an attitude with me," she told him sternly and bended water into her hand.

Zuko rolled his eyes but didn't say anything, letting her hold his jaw to steady and used her other hand to bend the water over his nose, healing the cut and if there could be a fracture.

"Thank you though, you didn't have to do all of that," she sighed focusing on healing.

"Someone had too," zuko mumbled.

"You're right, let's just hope Jet will ease up now, there's no point in the fighting when we're on the same side," Katara agreed.

"Also the fighting and dragging?" She raised a brow smiling.

"I've been sparing with non benders that were twice my size, he was easy," Zuko explained. He might've gotten a little brutal and humiliated Jet by dragging him but he didn't care.

"That should do it, might be sore for a few days but you deserve a little pain for starting a fight," Katara tease as she dropped the water back into the fountain they sat on.

"Why... why did you snap when he called me that? I know you were upset already but you were leaving," she tilted her head to the side as they sat at the fountain still.

Zuko thought about it for a moment, why did he go for violence after everything Jet has said and done?

"I think one of my strongest and weakest qualities of myself is loyal, I've always been loyal to those I feel are important to me, or maybe I have an overbearing attachment where I need to protect them," Zuko sighed resting his elbows on his knees.

"So it could've been anyone he could've insulted and you'd defend them like that?" She asked softly.

"Maybe, but you're different," he smiled back at her.

Katara smiled and looked ahead with a sigh, she had to get dinner going soon and-

Kataras world stopped and chest heated up immediately.

Zuko pressed a soft kiss to her cheek, catching her completely off guard.

"H-hey!" She gasped holding her cheek with a bright red face.

"I thought that's how we say thank you now?" Zuko grinned innocently.

Katara smiled softly touching her cheek where his lips touched her skin, was he just ignorant to romance cause he's never been around it? Did he feel anything for her more than a friend? Hes been around soldiers and war...

"Thank you for what?" She laughed nervously.

"For being stubborn and sticking to your morals, I think it's great about you, and sticking up for me before, I know Jet thinks I'm evil and stuff but you always just.." he trailed off as she got the point.

"Don't ever change that about yourself Tara, even years ahead and we're all grown up with our own lives," zuko nodded firmly and smiled at that.

"Trust me I've always been like this, it's not going anywhere, I like the adrenaline with it," she winked and laughed to herself.

Zuko smiled at that, he couldn't help but steal another glance from the water bender, the amount of trust they have put into each other, starting as true enemies even before they met, a fire bender and water bender, how funny was that. And there was a different feeling he had for her he never knew before, that he could remember.

"Any girlfriends you left behind?" Lee asked him as thirteen year old Zuko was reading a letter he received.

"Are you stupid?" Zuko glared at him annoyed.

"You're right, I don't think girls would exactly like your personality," Lee snorted putting his hands up.

"Any girls you wish were girlfriends?" He hummed making the youngest blush with anger on his face still.

"No!" The boy snapped.

"Ooo yes you do, did you kiss all your girlfriends goodbye?" Lee pushed him laughing and Zuko punched his shoulder back.

"I didn't kiss her! I would never," he scoffed.

"Her? Please tell me this young love," Lee cooed but backed away a little when Zuko raised his fist again.

"M-Mai... I liked my friend Mai..." Zuko mumbled in defeat.

"But I'm probably never going to see her again, I don't even like her anymore," he turned away embarrassed still.

"Aw kiddo it's okay to have crushes," Lee wrapped an arm around him and ruffled zukos hair.

"You'll have tons of girlfriends when you're older anyways, some might tolerate that bad boy tude," he smiled smugly as zukos eye twitched irritated.

"Just trust your feelings once in a while, who knows how long we'll be on this earth,"

Zuko pursed his lips and Katara noticed he was deep in thought.

"What's up?" Katara poked his shoulder to get him out of his thoughts.

"Just thinking," he shrugged.

"Can I see something?" He asked curiously. "close your eyes,"

"I swear if you push me in the water or put a bug on me I'm throwing you over the cliff," Katara huffed but closed her eyes anyways.

He hesitated but leaned close to press his lips against hers lightly, so gentle that Katara paused as if this was a hallucination. But she pushed back to kiss him.

Zuko pulled back quickly as they stared at each other for a moment.

"What was that?" She asked quietly.

"I-I'm sorry, I-" Zuko gulped not able to tell if Katara was about to cry, yell or smack him. Her face was red and he felt terrible for putting such a look on her face.

"I'm sorry," he said again and moved away to start leaving the main area when no one else was there.

Katara was to stun to yell for him as she watched him disappear, putting her fingers over his lips remembering the warmth, he was so gentle and so kind with his kiss. He wanted to see what...