Runt

3 years later

"Get down!" A man screamed.

A rough hand grabbed a 23 year old and pulled him behind a large piece of metal where other soldiers were putting on their armor.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed dumb ass?" A 15 year old sneered at the man as he looked over the metal and punched fire at the earth benders other soldiers were fighting.

"The commander had directions, I'm doing my job," Lee told them like it was obvious. The scarred teen didn't seem to care.

"Are you going to tell us or what?" He asked unamused.

"He's taking soldiers with in the woods to sneak behind, us eight go left and right so they're surrounded, take em out," Lee glanced over but they all gasped when a Boulder slammed into the metal they hid behind.

"You there go with Zuko, the other three your with me, do not hesitate," Lee nodded sternly.

"Yes sir," Zuko confirmed as he got to his feet and took the lead with the three soldiers.

They ran through the sides lines of the battle and Zuko didn't hesitate to jump in with a stomp as he sent two punches of fire and kicked a wave as the three other soldiers sprinted in with the cover Zuko provided.

"Not bad runt!" Jay laughed from the side but grunted when he was hit by a rock.

Zuko jumped out of the way of the Boulder that tried to hit him but he rolled to the side in a sturdy stance as he growled sending a strong flame at the bender.

The bender was suddenly knocked in the head from behind and fell to the ground as Lee stood behind him. He gave a small wave.

"Good job boys, tie these bastards up!" Xai called to the soldiers as Zuko took off his helmet to wipe his sweat. His hair was in a top knot that was slowly starting to fall, his scar healed on the side of his face. He was almost as tall as Lee by an inch and was built much more than when he joined three years ago.

Zuko knelt down to the unconscious without question and used rope to tie his arms behind his back, no emotions shown on his face.

"Hey Zuko, way to lead the way," Lee smiled at him as Zuko barely acknowledged the compliment.

"Just following orders, not that hard," Zuko shrugged as he went to the next enemy soldier to tie back.

-

They made camp after the earth benders were taken away by other troops and the group of soldiers started the food.

"Hey yo! Halfie!" Jay waved over as Zuko was warming up the water in his metal cup to make some tea.

"Hm?" Zuko raised his brow confused. He made a face seeing jay coming his way. He hated that name.

"Little birdy told me what day it is~" he wrapped an arm around the boy as Zuko groaned.

"Happy birthday Zuko!" Lee called from the other side of the camp for everyone to hear.

"Go eat shit," he looked at them as the men laughed at their runt.

"Aw our baby Zuzu is growing up!"

"Im going to leave you all behind," Zuko said flatly as everyone cheered and cooed at their youngest.

"Aw you know I had too man," Lee laughed sitting with the teen as Zuko sent him a look.

"So are you finally going to tell me how old your turning or going to let me be one of these fools that think your 18 now?" Lee hummed close to him as Zuko shook his head.