Stranger

Zuko walking into a dry town with the stolen bag on his back, he was walking for days and finally found a village he hoped had food and water. He was so thirsty. His brain felt foggy when he tried to focus on everything around him, his senses worked for walking but he couldn't keep his eyes steady. He use to feel so nauseous from not eating in two days but it went away into painful stabbing cramps, he was starving.

He didn't pay any attention to the civilians around him but he could feel their eyes on him. Zuko found someone in the small market and dug for the little money he found in the bag he stole.

"Can I get water and a hot meal?" He set the coins on the counter as the other man watched him.

"Not enough for a hot meal," the merchant said.

"Any food at all?" Zuko grunted.

"Let me check to see what would be close," the man said sympathetically and left the teen to see what food he could offer.

Zuko heard young childrens giggles as two boys hid around the corner of the building and each of them threw an egg at soldiers near by.

"Ow!" One of the earth soldiers were hit and the two boys ran off. Zuko didn't move.

"Hey!" The soldiers stood up and stormed towards the teenager.

"You throwing eggs at us stranger?" The leader sneered at Zuko, who kept his back to them while he waited for food and water.

"No," Zuko replied dryly.

"You see who did throw it?" He glared.

"No," Zuko turned to him annoyed placing his hands on his blade handles on his side.

"Is that your Favorite word? No?" Another soldier snorted.

"Egg had to come from somewhere," the leader crossed his arms.

"Maybe a chicken flew over," Zuko told them sarcastically and one of the men even laughed.

The merchant came back with water in an animal skin, bread and a few apples in a bag seeing the boy was starving by the way his cheekbones were poking and his eyes were sinking a bit.

"Thanks for the contribution," the lead soldier snatched it before Zuko could even put his hand on it.

"The army appreciates your support," he chuckled walking away with the food and water as Zuko clenched his fists tightly.

These were the people he'd kill. These soldiers are the enemy. He clenched his jaw to fight the urge to slit the man's throat for his food but he was exhausted.

"You better leave town, the penalty for staying a lot steeper than you can afford stranger," the leader looked back at Zuko with a warning sneer.

"Trust me," he patted the hammer on his side as Zuko looked at him while they all left.

"Those soldiers are suppose to protect us from the fire nation, but they're just a bunch of thugs," the merchant scoffed shaking his head with disgust.

Zuko inhaled a shaky breath as his stomach growled causing pain for him. He better move on since he couldn't get a meal in this town.

"Hey," the merchant sighed before Zuko left.

"Next town over us a dusk to dawn trip, if you leave now you can get there when the market first opens and they may have pity on you boy," he set a large cup of water on the counter and slid it to Zuko as well as another apple.

"I don't have any more money for You," Zuko rasped, his throat was dry.

"I know, that's why I didn't see you drink that water or take that apple," he nodded softly walking away so Zuko could be alone.