Treasured secret

The next day hama took everyone with shopping but Katara seemed to adore hama and stay by her side, like they were two peas in a pod, like there was an old familiarity. The two just clicked.

"Oi, Will you stop breathing down my fuckin' neck?" Zuko snapped as Sokka leaned against his back tiredly while they were waiting.

"Give me space," he growled.

"What's up with you two?" Toph snorted.

"I couldn't sleep at all last night," Sokka yawned and leaned against Aang instead who didn't seem to mind.

"You snored all night!" Zuko snapped again, listening to only Sokka snore in a quiet empty room was like nails on a chalkboard.

"Tonight youre bunking with literally anybody else," he pointed accusingly.

They followed Katara and hama around the town with baskets full of food, around them they could hear people talking about the full moon, the people, apparently everyone in this town took it very serious even if it affected businesses.

"Sounds like spirit shenanigans," Sokka hummed.

"I bet if we took a little walk around town we'll find out what these people did to the environment to make the spirits so mad," Aang shrugged a little as he looked over his shoulder.

"Then you can sew up this lil mystery lickety split, avatar style," Sokka added off smirking.

"Helping people, that's what I do," Aang grinned smugly. Zuko and Toph groaned at their cockiness.

"Why don't you all take those things back to the inn? I just have a couple more errands to run," hama stopped the teens as she was holding a little basket as well.

"Would you like me to take that for you?" Zuko offered since he had an extra hand.

Hama glared darkly at the fire bender, it shocked him seeing hate in her eyes when she looked at him. But she covered it with a smile and handed him the basket anyways.

"I'll be back in a while," she nodded smiling back at Katara.

"This is a mysterious town You got here," Sokka stepped in front of Zuko.

"A mysterious town with mysterious children," hama didn't seem phased by it.

——

"That hama seems strange, like she knows something," Sokka set the basket on the table as they got back to the inn to unload.

"Or hiding something," Zuko agreed.

"Youre both ridiculous, she's a nice woman who took us in and gave us a place to stay, she kind of reminds me of gran gran," Katara started to unload the food.

"But what did she mean by the commen mysterious children?" Sokka wouldn't drop it.

"Gee I don't know, maybe because she found five strange kids camping in the woods at night and one attacked her," Katara put her hands on her hips.

"She snuck up on us, I didn't know it was an old lady," Zuko shrugged. He wasn't sorry.

"I'm gonna take a look around," Sokka said casually. Aang, Zuko and Katara jaws dropped in disbelief.

"Sokka you can't just snoop around!" Katara gasped casing after him.

"It's fine," he waved her off as he went peaking into other rooms and closets.

"She'll be home any minute," Aang looked back anxiously. He and Zuko followed the siblings, Katara was bickering at her brother while he was ignoring or mocking her worries.

"Sokka you've looked enough!" Katara hissed chasing after him. "Hama will be back soon,"

"Just an ordinary inn keeper huh? Then why does she have a locked door up here?" Sokka found the third floor and saw only one door to one more room he wanted to know about.

"Probably to keep people like you from snooping through her stuff," Katara groaned as the others followed curiously.

"Strange room has peaked my interest," Zuko looked over her shoulder curiously.

"It's empty but there's a little chest," Sokka looked through the keyhole.

"Maybe it's treasure!" Toph joined them, Katara and Aang now were the only ones that didn't feel right about snooping.

Sokka waved Zuko over and the soldier grabbed the knife from his boot before using it to unlock the door.

"What the hell? Your breaking into a private room," Katara frowned at the older boys.

"I have to know what's in there, get it zuko," Sokka cheered quietly and there was a click. Zuko smirked to himself and opened the door.

"After you princess," Zuko turned to her smugly.

Sokka took the lead and went for the small chest, Katara elbowed Zuko in the side with disapproval before they joined him.

"We shouldn't be doing this," Aang pulled on zukos sleeve.

"Is there a key?" Sokka saw another lock on the box ignoring the anxious comments.

"Hand it over," Toph perked up and was handed the box. When Sokka made his sword from the comet he kept a little piece of the rock from space for Toph, she wore it around her upper arm at all times. She used it now to form a key to try breaking into the chest.

"Guyssss I don't know about this, it feels wrong," Aang covered the lower part of his face with his shirt as he rocked on his feet.

"Hurry up," Sokka smiled excitedly.

"This isn't as easy as it looks," Toph huffed while all eyes were on her.

"This is crazy," Katara covered her face. "I'm leaving,"

"Suit yourself, do it Toph," Sokka let her go and turned back to the youngest.

There was a satisfying click. It opened.

Katara immediately turned around jumping to look over zukos shoulders as she tried to see what's inside, Sokka and Aang where pushing each other.

"I'll tell you what's in the box,"

Everyone screamed in terror spinning behind to see hama waiting patiently.

Hama walked to them and Sokka bowed his head down in shame handing the box to its owner. The old woman opened the box and reached inside only to pull out a hair comb.

"An old comb?" Sokka looked shocked and disappointed.

"It's my most prized possession, it's the last thing I owned from growing up in the southern water tribe," hama smiled softly seeing Katara and sokkas faces change from guilt to surprise.

"Your from the southern water tribe?" Katara breathed.

"Just like you," hama hummed.

"How-" "I heard you talking by the campfire," she cut them off but she only looked at the two like they were old friends, family almost. Sharing their home.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Sokka asked now.

"I wanted to surprise you, I bought all this food today so I could fix You a big water tribe dinner! Of course I can't get all the ingredients I need here but ocean kumquats are a lot like sea prunes," hama explained to them and Aang looked grossed out by sea prunes.

"I knew I felt a bond with you right away," Katara smiled brightly.

"And I knew you were keeping a secret," Sokka raised his hand confidently.

"But I am sorry we were sneaking around," he nodded shameful, feeling Kataras eyes on him.

"Apology accepted, now let's get cooking," hama waved them to come with and there was no tension for their wrongs.