Like kids

"Has anyone seen Katara and Zuko?" Toph asked as it was high noon the next day, Katara made breakfast earlier and everything was back to normal. No one mentioned the night before and let it be in the past. Aang wanted to open his mouth but the look Zuko gave him when he even tried to bring up hama was threatening.

"Zuko went to send another letter and I'm not sure where Katara went, maybe to get more water?" Sokka picked at his teeth while looking at his schedule.

"Maybe when Katara comes back we can train together," Aang hung upside down on appas horn.

"When do you think you'll let Zuko help you learn fire bending?" Toph smirked at him.

"Umm," Aang paused and pursed his lips.

-

"Zuko can you hold this?" Katara handed him a basket as they walked through the village that was a mile away.

"What are you looking for here?" He peaked over her seeing the options of fruit she was deciding on.

"I'm getting sick of rice and fish or whatever we get same of," she huffed picking up a papaya.

"Mm, okay," Zuko moved forward and reached for the mango instead.

"Ah that's a good one, mangos are best this time of year," the old man that ran the stand smiled, pleased with the customers at his market.

"Mhm," Zuko agreed and grabbed other fruits that he noticed Katara didn't even look at before.

"Here, it's good for you," he grabbed a few oranges to also bring to the others and paid for them. Katara held hers as she waited but Zuko took it from her.

"I'll peel it for you, don't get your hands sticky," he took his knife to slice the skin of the orange to start the peeling.

"Try it, it's an orange," he picked off the first slice of the orange and handed it to her.

"Mmm these are great!" She gasped at the new taste. He handed her the peeled orange for her to snack on while they shopped.

"I wanna get some spices while we're close to a village, closer to the capital better they are," Zuko told her calmly while handing her half of the pomegranate to snack on.

"Ok I'm just gonna look around for a little," Katara smiled. It felt so normal for them to be alone together, to go to a market together and not have to worry about anything.

She walked around minding her business and enjoyed the fruit that was introduced to her, growing up in the southern pole they were limited to plants that they would eat, and learning more about them while traveling.  She loved the fire nation so far with learning more about the nature of the land and the people have been pleasant enough. The soldiers minded their business a lot more than the earth kingdom, they were kind to their own people. It was strange to see. She almost forgot the terror the fire nation causes outside of their own nation.

"Did you find anything you liked?" Zuko walked back to her, moving to stand between her, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"No not really, you got everything you were looking for?" She smiled looking up only at him.

"Yea I also got fire jerky for the group," Zuko handed her the bag of food while he held the heavy bag of restocked groceries.

"Let's get going," she put her hand on the back of his arm. His gaze softened at the small gestures she gave, not realizing how warm her touch was to his skin.

They walked back to the camp while eating their piece of fire jerky and chatting casually walking in the woods, their guards were down and the air felt comfortable. They were getting closer to their camp but were paused when they heard Aang and Sokka yelling and there was a crash with the sound of water following.

"Sokka?" Katara felt worry flood in her chest as she picked up the pace to the camp with Zuko following close behind.

They saw the three others swimming in a larger pond with appa floating in the deeper part and momo on top of the bison. Toph was smiling with her feet in the water while the two boys were playfully rough housing with each other. Katara put a hand over her chest relieved that they were only playing and no one was hurt.

"Katara! Come join us!" Aang waved her over from the pond.

Zuko grabbed the items Katara held and went back to the little camp so she could go join. The worry on her face told him everything he needed to know, she feared losing her friends and family, she couldn't help it.

Katara took off her shoes as the boys waved her to join them in the water, Aang splashed her a little and she laughed splashing back.

Toph leaned back in the grass and kicked her feet, she smiled tilting her head back as she felt zukos footsteps coming towards her. He was quiet when he sat next to her, crossing his legs with his hands placed on top of his ankles, wanting to enjoy the company of the group.

"How was the market?" Toph started off.

"It was fine, gathered some food and stuff," Zuko mumbled awkwardly. Hes been traveling with these kids for a while yet he still felt out of place sometimes, like when they have fun he felt like he ruins the happy energy.

"Don't be so tense, I can feel you holding your breathe around us," Toph snorted pushing him a little.

"Why don't you go in the water?" She smirked.

"Why don't you?" He huffed biting his thumb nail a little.

"I can't swim," Toph said almost proud.

"It's not deep at least," he looked in the clear water and could see that Aang was standing with ease. It touched middle of his chest so it was still easy for Toph at least.

They were quiet again as Zuko watched the three play in the water happily as Katara got to dunk her brother under the water, Aang joined and they teamed up on the older boy.

He smiled softly, even if they were loud, it felt quiet, it felt peaceful. Did he ever get to enjoy moments? Moments like these with his brothers? With his own family in the palace? He ignored the thoughts of what he missed in his life and enjoyed now seeing them all play together.

Aang snuck up behind Sokka as Katara distracted him before Aang set a small frog fish on his shoulder, when Sokka saw the sticky wet creature he released a high fearful shriek jumping away from them as Aang and Katara laughed at the prank.

Zuko laughed a little as well at Sokka dramatic outbursts, he covered his mouth as his shoulders shook when he laughed harder. Squeezing his eyes shut to keep his composer even if he was failing. Cackling and wheezing for a breath like he hasn't laughed in months, before that, years.

Sokka noticed an unfamiliar laughter on the side middle of the panic from the gross animal that was set on him. Seeing Zuko try to hide his own laughter at their goofing around, while Katara and Aang were still laughing as well.

They all felt as if they weren't in a war. Weren't the main components of the war, with the avatar.
The two children of the southern water tribe chief.
And little did some of them know, the first born of the fire lord.
They all held an important roll to the war.

But for now they were children. Where they can laugh and play like children.

"Come on in," Aang motioned Zuko to join them.

"We need even people," Sokka agreed as Katara got on her brothers shoulder, flexing her arms in mockery.

"You're on," Zuko smiled finally and took off his shoes and shirt before jumping in. Everyone cheered as Aang bended him self in the air and landed on zukos shoulders. Aang and Katara tried to push each other off but Zuko kicked at Sokka to push him back, using it Aang finally got the siblings to fall as he cheered at his victory while they laughed.

"Fire and air: one, water: zero!" Aang whooped as Sokka grinned getting his sister back up. Katara smiled mischievously and bended a wave to knock the boys over.

"Cheater!" Toph called hearing the water bender.

"Cheater!" Aang and Zuko yelled pointing
At them.

"I didn't cheat we just won," katara crossed her arms as Sokka flexed his muscles.

"Spoken like a cheater," Zuko snorted and Aang water bended to knock them down next.