Rock bottom

Hakoda saw the avatars bison return once again, he saw it in the morning when the avatar said his daughter was in danger, and by nightfall they were back. It must've been a false alarm.

He smiled kindly seeing both his children but soon his smile dropped when more people, and a bear, was with them, Katara and another boy were focused on something else while Sokka and three other people got off appa.

"Is everyone okay?" Hakoda asked as Sokka was focused on other things as well.

"We need clean water and bandages asap," Katara called to her father when Zuko gently lowered Aang down to Sokka to catch.

"On it," Hakoda gulped seeing the small boy being carried by his son and the other boy.

"Bato clear a tent for my children," Hakoda called back to the other water tribe men and one was immediately cleared. The two teens with the avatar went in with Katara following quickly.

"Lay him on his stomach," Katara told them seeing the bed. They did so and moved out of her way, Katara used whatever water with her to begin trying to heal Aang.

"We need bandages!" Sokka called out the tent.

"Here's more water," Hakoda brought in a bucket and bato came in with bandages and more medical supplies.

"What... what happened?" Hakoda asked as Katara pulled more water into her healing to cover aangs back.

"He was struck with lightening, don't focus on the main injury focus on his breathing," Zuko told her softly seeing her hands shaking. She tensed but directed her healing, hands moving more above aangs heart and lungs instead of the main scar, the pain in his face draining.

"Who is this?" Bato looked at the new face unsure.

"Let's give them some space and talk outside, Katara are You going to be okay?" Sokka looked at his sister worried.

She didn't answer.

"Oi, you with us?" Zuko asked more stern, it snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Don't leave me please," she whispered not looking up. Zuko was taken back but knelt on the ground next to aangs bed, adrenaline finally leaving his body. His legs were weak and the ache was settling in, but he stayed.

Sokka nodded seeing he had his sisters back and good intentions, he motioned for the men to follow him outside.

"His names zuko, he's fire nation," Sokka told the men as the tent closed behind him. The earth king heard him and immediately joined.

"Excuse me?" Bato blinked.

"You brought a fire bender?" He asked in disbelief.

"He was a soldier before," Sokka nodded.

"He was in ba sing se," the earth king jumped in.

"Yes he was, but he meant no harm, he got a lot of that anger out before we got there," Sokka waved him off as Toph walked over and held onto sokkas arm.

"What do you feel?" Sokka looked at her softly.

"I feel aangs heart beat still," she whispered but there was fear in her voice. They all were afraid.

A moment later Katara and Zuko walked out of the tent. Zuko looked defeated, there was no emotions in his eyes, Kataras eyes were red and exhausted, she looked everyone who waited outside the tent.

"Hi dad," Katara whispered with her voice cracking.

"Hi Katara," Hakoda walked to her and wrapped her in a tight hug, first time he's seen his youngest child in two years. She clung on tightly trying not to cry anymore.