First morning

"Up and at em boys!"

Zuko gasped awake as he bolted from the ground. He looked around wide eyes seeing men getting up and immediately putting their beds away in their bags at the camp, they slept in their boots and their clothes as zukos hair fell around his shoulders. He quickly got up and followed the others before putting his hair in its top knot.

"You keep that bag on your back if you don't want to loose your bed," Lee told him quickly as Zuko threw the backpack over his shoulders.

"What are we doing?" Zuko asked seeing it was just barely dawn.

"Morning training, come on even with training you don't leave your stuff behind," Lee pulled him along but saw Zuko put his knife in his boot before running to catch up.

Xai was on an ostrich horse as he ran on the side of the soldiers running through the forest for the training, Zuko didn't last long before he was wheezing and struggling to keep up. He panted heavily as he ran with the others.

"Get moving halfie!" An older soldier barked at him as he passed the boy.

Zuko felt like he was going to throw up as they ran but he knew he was the last. He could see the pity in some men's eyes, Lee kept looking back at him concerned. Zuko glared and pushed himself to keep up, even if he was last he was going to fail.

Until he tripped over a root from a tree sticking out of the ground.

Zuko coughed as he felt acid in the back of his throat feeling like he wanted to throw up. His chest heaved as he was on all fours. His eyes couldn't focus but he forced himself up but grunted falling to one knee feeling the pain in his legs.

"Get up, get up," Zuko growled as he saw the others still running. He huffed getting back up and started to run again.

Zuko,
You've embarrassed, shamed and dishonored this family more than once, your weakness is pathetic to my bloodline.

He breathed heavy through his mouth as he saw Lee slow down and looked at him impressed that he was catching up.

The moment you were born I knew nothing would be beneficial would come out of you, you barely survived coming into this world. I never expected You to last long. Your constant illnesses as a child to the weaknesses you showed that came from your mother. I should've known you'd never be suitable for the throne.

"Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, lean more forward, the bag will weigh you down," Lee told him with a nod as he ran with the boy.

I would've killed you then and there if it had no consequences. And banishing you would've been to merciful. The soldiers at least can turn you into a man but you will never be welcomed to the palace as a prince. Never to be my son.

"I know you lied," Lee said in a quieter tone as they both ran in the back of the troops.

"Youre not fifteen are You? Younger I'm guessing, you still have a baby face," he smirked a little.

"Your past is not my business, but it was stupid to join the military as young as you are, your going to struggle a lot and your going to wish you were dead," he looked down at the boy.

This war will last longer than your lifespan, if you want to do something useful for your country and for me for once, die for it, die for your land. Before you even think about coming back, consider it treason for stepping back into the fire nation, no one will grieve and no one will celebrate for a spoiled brat that's only known riches.

"I'm stronger than you think," Zuko panted as sweat ran down his face.

"I hope so Zuko, let people underestimate you so they don't throw you in first on the battle ground, lying will save your life," he pushed him ahead as Zuko stumbled but caught himself.

"Once the sun is up we'll be done and head back, only half of the sun is up, we need all of it," Lee told him with a smile.

"And Zuko, the scar, it definitely makes you look older, kind of rad," he chuckled as Zuko made a face.

"Who the hell says rad?"

Don't show your face again boy.
Your Fire lord

"So what's the knife from?" Lee asked as the men made it back to the camp from before and ate a bowl of rice porridge and bread for breakfast.

"My uncle, he was in the earth kingdom and came back with souvenirs," Zuko pulled the knife out from his boot.

"He's a soldier?" Lee raised a brow as Zuko put some medicine on his face after wiping it with a cold cloth with water from the run.

"He was," Zuko nodded looking down at the knife. "I think he's the only one that actually cared about me..."

"You miss him?"

"No," Zuko put the knife back quickly. "I don't miss anyone,"

"It's okay to miss home Zuko," Lee chuckled as he slurped on his rice porridge.

"I don't," he glared.

Lee smirked a little at the kid. He was a bad liar. Lee inhaled deeply and handed Zuko a small notebook and took out a page for him.

"Write to whoever you miss, if you don't now you never know if you'll ever get to again," he nodded but Zuko didn't take the paper.

"I don't want to talk about it," Zuko set the bowl down aggressively. A couple of men walked by and accidentally kicked his bowl over into the dirt.

Xai noticed the bowl as he kept an eye on Zuko, but it looked like he wasn't the only one that was keeping an eye on the child soldier.

"You dont want to be treated like a child, don't act like one," Lee huffed a little and put his bread in zukos lap.

"Eat like a man, and when someone is kind to you, you better fucking take it because you're not going to get it for much longer," Lee told him sternly and stood up to finish his breakfast elsewhere.

Xai smirked a little seeing the shock on zukos face as he only had bread. He had to learn, it was better to learn their ways now before he's coddled and spoiled. This life was opposite of what he was use too, but knowing the boy was basically an orphan and alone in the world, he was glad he was with his troop rather than zhao like he almost was.

He'd learn. He seemed smart. He had a kind heart but a rough life. As rough as a princes life could've been...

Zuko sat in silence as he lost Lee in the camp but he didn't move. He didn't eat the bread in spite, he felt a little guilty but he refused to do anything about it. His words echoing. The past three weeks have been like a slap in the face every time he took a step, he knew he couldn't do anything about it. Begging never did anything so what was the point. No one would forgive him if he acted out, how could anyone care if his own father rather have him dead...

He wondered if he'd get a grave when he dies.