Meals

"Are your friends going to be worried about you? It's almost dinner time," Zuko and Katara sat outside of his tea shop as he made them both a cup of tea to sip on.

"They won't be worried, but I should go back soon to make dinner," Katara sipped her tea. Her eye twitched at the taste but continued to drink it.

"Do you rotate on who makes dinner? That's what me and the troops would do, but there was a lot more of us," Zuko looked at her curiously.

"Nope I'm in charge of the meals," she laughed awkwardly.

"Interesting," he sipped his tea.

"What kind of food did you and the troops make?" Katara changed the topic.

"Rice porridge and bread usually, we'd get packages of fire nations seasonings so it wasn't to boring, sometimes we'd get meats if we were in a good location," the fire bender hummed a little.

"I remember the first night I was there I was so angry and stubborn I didn't even finish my meal, Lee made fun of me for it," the corner of his lip move up the slightest at the memory.

"It was the worst food I ever tasted but I was spoiled before that," Zuko shrugged a little. He felt grateful he got a warm meal now looking back at his old life. Who would've thought he'd get so sad thinking of those memories.

"Im sorry," Katara whispered.

"Sorry?" He turned to her.

Katara set the tea down and placed her hands in her lap. She wanted to cry. She wanted to cry for a fire nation soldier. She wanted to grieve for what he lost cause he didn't. She didn't pity him but she was sympathetic for his life.

"I'm sorry Zuko, it wasn't your fault," Katara looked back at him with sad eyes.

"W.. what?" He gulped.

"Everything you've gone through, I'm sorry, it's not your fault for it," she nodded.

It's not... his fault?

What did that mean?

"Some of it is," his eyes turned cold again, frowning.

"I don't think it is," she pursed her lips.

What did she know?

He was arrogant. Spoiled. A rotten child. Unworthy for the kindness in this world. His life was his fault. His scar. His lost. Lees death. Everyone's death. His hunger and exhaustion. It was his fault. He was weak. Everyone knew it. He knew it. She knew it too.

"Zuko?" She noticed how quiet he was.

"You should go home," he whispered.

Katara wasn't surprised he was going to push away. She nodded understanding.

"Thank you for the tea, and for spending your day with me, I had a good time," she smiled kindly still and stood up.

"You should write still, any time you get wrapped up in that brain of yours," Katara set the empty tea cup next to him.

"I'll see you around?" She offered.

"I'll see you around," he sighed keeping his eyes down.

Katara waved as she walked away and went back to the upper class. Zuko looked to the side seeing her empty cup. He didn't know how to feel about what she said but it struck a nerve. His people skills needed a lot more work...

"You let a pretty girl like that walk away? I'm sure she has a line of suitors waiting at her door," hai opened the door making him jump surprised.

"What?" He didn't understand what she meant.

"How are You going to get a wife if your always so grouchy?" She tsked holding her cane.

"A wife? Why would I look for a wife right now?" Zuko rolled his eyes.

"You want to build a life here? Get a wife!" Hai scoffed back and he glared.

"I don't want to date," he pouted.

"Aye kid your hopeless, that pretty girl seems to tolerate you, invest," hai motioned to the empty cup that was Kataras.

"Oi! I'm not gonna date that water bending annoyance!" Zuko gasped flushing red.

"Why not?!" Hai whined.

"I-I've never dated anyone, and I'm not starting with a water bender, I'd never hear the end of it," he covered his face embarrassed.

"And she wouldn't date me either! Don't put those thoughts in your head You hag," Zuko stood up quickly and went inside slamming the door.

Hai sighed annoyed but noticed he took the cups inside still. She sat on the curb of the street where the kids sat before. Youngsters always have to make things difficult in their lives. She'll never understand their minds.

"Iroh this kid is even more difficult than you mentioned, I better get a new tea set for the hassle, a golden one," hai groaned rubbing her hands together trying to warm them up.

"Oi lee! Warm up a tea pot I'm chilly!" Hai forced herself to stand with a long groan.

"You don't have to yell we still don't have a door!" Zuko yelled back.

-

Katara sat in the kitchen alone as she swirled her hand over the pot to mix her stew. No one was home. She hasn't heard from them all day.

She kind of regretted leaving her friend so soon.

Was Zuko a friend? She wanted to start to think they had an understanding or at least tolerating each other. She liked being around people but making real friends outside the village? Toph and Aang are the first true friends that aren't from the water tribes.

But zukos life was so different. From hers. From all of theirs. He was a child soldier and the battle field was his normal. Death was common so grieving was different. But did he really think all the tragedies in his life were his fault? How could he think that?

Why did she care? He was fire nation.

Did that really matter?

Katara made stew for dinner and had meat on the side for Toph and Sokka to put in themselves.

She pursed her lips a little and grabbed a ceramic bowl and top, bending the stew into the bowl and cutting some meat to place on top, she wrapped some bread and put it in a small bag, tying it to the top lid of the bowl.

The kitchen was so big, the living room was doubled in size. Their rooms were bigger than the tents of home. She missed home. With her Gran Gran and the other women and children.  They'd be together helping each other.

And now she was alone.

Tears threatened their way to her eyes as she felt her throat close up. She felt so home sick, she missed her family. She wished her friends came back soon, it was getting dark.

Katara sniffled wiping a few tears away thinking about it all. Covering her mouth to silence herself, she was embarrassed, it was ridiculous to cry over such things.

She just needed some air.

-

"I'm heading home hai!" Zuko called after he helped install a new door with the workers and made sure it could slide open smoothly.

"Be back early, we have a business to run!" Hai yelled back as he rolled his eyes opening the door.

Zuko closed the new door behind him and noticed a bowl with a small bag next to the shop. He looked down seeing a note on top.

Fuckhead aka you know who you are.

He could smell something from inside, gulping a little knowing it was something delicious. That stupid water bender.

He didn't even see her come back.

"Thanks for the meal Katara," he mumbled holding the bowl and bag close to his chest while he walked home.