Escaped guilt

The group of children walked through the dry land where it was dried up plants all around and flat land. Appa trudged behind them as he was exhausted carrying all his armor and the children after the battle earlier.

No one spoke as they all hung their heads in humiliation.

Zuko carried the duke on his back as the eight year old boy almost tripped in exhaustion a few times. The youngest hung on to him and thanked the older teen while he rested. Katara stayed close as she wanted to talk to him about the day.

She touched her lips looking down as she remembered that Aang kissed her before the battle. Did she want to tell anyone?

"You okay?" Zuko noticed her.

"No, I don't think any of us are okay," Katara pursed her lips tightly and he nodded understanding. Katara looked at him again but noticed burns on his forearms.

"Hey what happened?" Katara grabbed his hand as he held the duke with the other arm.

There was a light burn that looked like lines up to his elbows, nothing that'll scar but she's never seen a burn like that before.

"Is he sleeping?" Zuko asked quietly. Katara looked at the boy and nodded seeing he was passed out.

"It was lightening," he whispered.

"Are you hurt?" She hissed now investigating the other arm.

"I didn't even notice the burns till now, they'll fade," he pulled back and Katara looked worried.

"He attacked you with lightening?" She mumbled, barely Zuko could hear her. He nodded.

Sokka saw Katara and Zuko chatting quietly, probably to not disturb anyone else who was grieving for their parent or guardian that was taken as prisoner but Sokka felt sick. He looked back at Aang who was zoned out.

"Don't bring it up," Toph could hear Sokka shuffling a little.

"It's not something we're going to ignore," he told her quietly.

"No, we won't ignore it but there's to many suspicious ears around," Toph nodded her head towards jet and smellerbee who walked together.

"Besides we have to make sure we approach it right," she sighed.

"You're right, but he still acts like one of us," sokka looked down betrayed.

"He's the fire lords son,"

Toph clenched her fists at those words. It was to specific, to ironic, how could that be true. How could this whole time Zuko has been the prince of the fire nation. What are the chances.

"So you are alive, I should've known," they faced the fire nations princess in the bunkers of the palace.

"Where is the fire lord?!" Sokka demanded.

"What I'm not good enough for you? I'm hurt," she smiled teasingly as she sat in her own throne.

"Tell us where he is!" Aang gripped his staff ready to attack.

Azula looked at them and smiled deviously.

"Where here!" Toph gasped as she felt something under the earth.

"Uh I think your feet need their eyes checked Toph," katara only saw the cliff up ahead.

"No, she's right, we are here," Aang smiled as everyone groaned relieved the walk was over.

They all boarded on appa once again and Aang lead them over the cliff. Everyone was in awe of the temples that revealed upside down under the cliff, how could this been made a home for nomads? It was all backwards.

Appa landed and everyone helped unpack and unloads, Toph and haru helped Aang take appas armor off so the bison could rest, using their earth bending to lift it off.

"Zuko lets go get you fixed up," Katara waved him over.

"What happened?" Jet asked as he unloaded the saddle.

"Some burns from the soldiers, nothing major," she waved him off as she grabbed her water pouch and took Zuko to the side for them to be alone.

"Katara wait-" Aangs mouth was covered by Sokka before she heard him. He shook his head telling him to wait. Aang didn't look to sure but let the two be.

Katara found a few large bricks that fell from the century of being abandoned, they had enough space from the group.

"Why did you leave us?" Katara finally asked as Zuko rolled his sleeves up more.

"I had a gut feeling," Zuko mumbled keeping his eyes down.

"I guess it was right for something, you found Ozai?" She began healing the minor burns on his arms.

"Yep, father dearest," he scoffed dryly.

"Zuko... tell me what happened?" She frowned seriously.

"It's complicated," Zuko told her softly.

She didn't move, waiting for his answer.

"Ozai found out about the letters to my uncle... and sent him to prison for treason, probably either let him die in there or to execute him eventually," Zuko confessed and Kataras face softened.

"And he told me what happened to my mother," he whispered.

"What happened to her?" She asked.

Zuko placed his hand over his eyes and couldn't help but chuckle to himself, he can't believe it was real, it didn't feel real.

"She was hunted down and had her body thrown to the ocean, killed for treason," his hands started to shake.

Katara could see the devastation, she wrapped her arms around him and he rested against his closest friend.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so so sorry," she whispered holding him close.

"I couldn't even finish him off, I missed," he let go and stood to walk it off.

"What do you mean you missed?" Katara stood after him.

"I had the lightening and I missed, I could've killed him but I didn't have enough control, I was so close Katara," zuko groaned frustrated.

"You found Ozai?" Aangs voice asked behind them.

Katara covered her mouth seeing Sokka, Aang and Toph behind them, zuko paled with wide eyes.

They were both silent as the three looked at them with tension.

"I think we need to talk to you Zuko," toph cut the silence.