Recruit

A man waited at the docks as he watched a fire nation ship board on the shore as he knew of the new recruit that will be joining him from now on in the earth kingdom. He saw the boy walk off the ship in fire nation clothes as his hair was in a top knot, bandages covering half his face as he carried nothing. No belongings to keep with him as a soldier.

All the high rankings in the fire nation knew of the princes fall and ordered by the fire lord himself, no longer a prince. They all would follow their lords orders including the commander that would have him in his troops.

"Zuko," he called and the boy looked at him and walked across the wooden docks as other men around them were doing their own duties.

"Commander," the thirteen year old nodded in respect.

"Welcome to the earth kingdom boy, where's your bag?" The commander asked looking down at him confused as Zuko joined him on land.

"I didn't bring one, seemed pointless," Zuko crossed his arms. The commander could already tell this kid was going to be trouble.

"No personal belongings with?" He didn't believe him. Zuko stared at him for a moment but sighed reaching down to his boot and pulled out a knife.

"A knife?" He quirked a brow.

"It's the only thing I brought," Zuko told him softly.

"Very well, I am commander Xai, you will address me as commander or sir, is that clear boy?" Xai narrowed his eyes down at the boy. He wanted to see the prince of the fire nation swallow his pride and know his place.

"Sure,"

Xai glared now at the prince, Zuko didn't even bother raising his head as he stayed in his place.

"I don't give two shits about who you are, who you were,  you are now a soldier and will be treated like one; I for one would start learning how to take an order and how to play nice if you want to see the next day, is that clear boy?" Xai sneered down at him.

"Whatever," Zuko scoffed crossing his arms.

Xai raised his hand and backhanded the boy quickly making Zuko fall to the ground with a cry.

"I said is that clear?!" He barked but paused seeing Zuko hold his face with a shaky hand. He hit the bandages on his face.

Xai held back an apology remembering his orders, yes this was a child that was three years early to what the age requirement is to join, but he wasn't just a random child.

"Answer me boy," he stood over Zuko.

"Yes sir," Zuko whispered.

He watched the commander start walking away and quickly got to his feet to follow. The side of his face burning and itched as he held it trying to soothe the burning pain under the bandages. It was healing but he still wore the bandages for safety now going into war where there was less medical equipment.

"The troops don't know who you are kid, and they're not going too, or your going to be eaten alive by them," Xai told him as they walked through the woods.

"If anyone asks you are not from the Capitol, many men here were volunteered by the first or only man in their family, you have no parents and you have no friends, and your not thirteen," he explained harshly as Zuko listened.

"No one knows of your Agni kai, no lieutenants and no captains, only commanders, generals and admirals, how you got that scar is your decision," he glared back at the boy.

"Then what am I?" Zuko kept his eyes down with a sneer on his face.

"Your a no body, the prince of the fire nation lives in peace with servants feeding him, never leaving the palace, no one needs to know anymore than that,"