Next step

"So can we ask more questions about the fire nation now?" Sokka sat next to Zuko as he, Katara, and toph were picking up the camp while the other kids were playing and adventuring.

"Like what?" Zuko was putting away the food supplies.

"Well you went to a fancy school I'm guessing?" He thought about it.

"Kind of, academy teachers came to the palace," Zuko shrugged not thinking much of it.

"Does this mean you have special access to things in the fire nation? Do you know ozais weakness?" Sokka continued to ask questions as Katara sent her brother disapproving looks.

"Uh no, I lost my title as prince long time ago, I'm technically not suppose to be on fire nation land," Zuko picked up the large pot of water for Katara while she collected the dishes.

"Sokka can you stop?" Katara glared at him.

"You asked questions too when you found out," Zuko smirked a little.

"That was different," she rolled her eyes.

"Wait if you've known since ba sing se then you two kept it from us when we were on the ships?! And talked about it?!" Sokka gasped jumping to his feet.

"Yup," Zuko nodded proudly.

"Hey guys have you seen the training room here yet?! I forgot how much fun it is to practice your bending at temples!" Aang ran to his friends as they turned to the avatar confused.

"That's great Aang but we need to have a serious discussion about the next move," katara looked at him worried.

"Next move?" He tilted his head to the side.

"That little ol thing called the war? Yea we're not done with that," Toph flicked a pebble away.

"Oh yea," Aang slumped down disappointed.

"What are you thinking for the next move?" He sighed dramatically.

"Well since the whole point of the invasion was that fire benders lost their power is behind us now, next move is you mastering fire bending," Sokka told him seriously, Aang visibly got uncomfortable at the idea.

"And Zuko, if you're okay with it I think it would be great if you would be able to teach Aang fire bending," he motioned to the other teen who stood with his arms crossed.

"Zuko would be my teacher? I didn't know he was a master?" Aang interrupted before Zuko could answer.

"Well it's not like we have a line out the door of other fire bending teachers and I wasn't a master bender either when we met," Katara agreed.

"Is that a good idea though? With what we've learned recently and all," aang pursed his lips and they all looked surprised.

"That doesn't matter," zuko frowned.

"But it does, it matters cause I'm suppose to take down your father, how can you help me make you an orphan?" Aang motioned to him wide eyes.

They were all silent, speechless.

Zuko closed his eyes and took a deep breath collecting his thoughts to put it as gentle as possible without snapping.

"Ozai is not a father, he is a monster that has made his children's only purpose to fight for him, he is a terrible person, trust me, he will not be missed," Zuko gritted out clenching his jaw.

"It doesn't feel right," Aang argued. Zukos eye twitched in annoyance.

"There is no way for you to win against Ozai without fire bending," zuko growled.

"We can find another way," the nomad smiled hopeful.

"The only other way is letting Ozai kill you! You don't stand a chance if you can't redirect fire even! Do you want to be killed?!" Zuko finally snapped and Aang took a step back wide eyes with fear.

"I-I-" "that's enough," Katara put her hand up as Zuko had a scowl.

"Aang I don't think there is another way, but we'll be with you to help along the way," she tried to help.

"I can't," Aang whined.

"This isn't a game, not sunshine and rainbows where you'll be winning with the power of friendship and Ozai will magically become a good person, he won't," Zuko raised his voice again as Sokka and Toph had a 'I told you so look on their faces'.

"But no one deserves to have their life taken!" Aang cried out defending himself.

"I'm a monk! I was always taught how life is sacred-" "it's just one person," katara cut him off with a face full of confusion.

"One person to kill vs saving thousands of other lives and generations to come, this is to stop suffering in the world, you have to sacrifice some things," she sighed shaking her head.

"Sacrificing my morales?!" Aang yelled now angry.

"You don't have to watch life leave a man's eyes! I will!" He got riled up now getting more and more upset.

"Oi, I understand how scary it can be-" "no you don't Zuko!" Aang snapped.

"Yes I do, I was thirteen when I had to," Zuko crossed his arms keeping a glare on his face.

"You Killed?" Toph whistled awkwardly.

"In life or death yea I had too," he nodded.

"But lucky for you Aang, it'll only be the one time, after the war you can be your peaceful nomad self, the world will need that, but they need you to win first okay?" Zuko said in a dark serious tone, they needed Aang to get on the same mindset they were.

"I don't have to be your teacher but you will learn fire bending, we'll find someone else," he sighed

They were quiet again, Aang kept his arms crossed but said nothing. No one knew what to say next. It was all out there for the next step but now they had to agree to something.

"Aang?" Sokka watched him carefully.

"What's on your mind buddy?" His face softened.

"It's just hard, I still can't get over that this is not only your home, we knew that, but these are your people, your family, your future Zuko... why would you hide this from us?" Aang still felt betrayed.

"Because my future, my family, it's all you guys, I will fight on your side till the world has peace again, and I believe that you will restore it, avatar," Zuko pursed his lips softly with a small shrug.

"I never thought I'd have a reason to want to live for tomorrow," he smiled at the ground and aangs eyes widen.

Zuko never admitted it outloud but the people he's been around for months now, these kids, he's wanted to live and see that future, he wants to know what it could be.

"I need some time, let it all sink in.. is that okay?" Aang gulped a little and they all nodded.

"We'll touch back on this, please do think about it all, including having Zuko as your teacher," Katara sighed rubbing her eyes and Aang nodded.

"I will," he mumbled.