Opening up

Zuko lit a fire with the small blind girl that tried to attack him earlier as he tore the loaf of bread in half and set it on a small rag with half his apple and cut the center of it out for her.

"Here's dinner," he handed it to the girl. She didn't take it at first as she was deep into her own thoughts.

"And I thought I'd be the youngest traveling alone out here, how old are you? Ten?" He set the cloth with the food next to her.

"How old are You? Fifty?" The girl asked sarcastically as she picked up a slice of the apple next to her without moving her head.

"Sixteen," he mumbled.

"Twelve," she shrugged taking a bite.

Zuko nodded as he tore some of his bread off and popped the bite in his mouth while watching the sun.

"I know what your thinking, I look like I can't handle being by myself," the blind girl scoffed after a minute of silence.

"Wasn't thinking that," Zuko told her.

"You wouldnt even let me have my apple without the seeds and stem," she mumbled annoyed.

"I haven't been around people in a couple days, and last time I was it didn't end well, I was just trying to be nice," Zuko looked down embarrassed a little. It's been a week since he's been from the troops now. The silence is horrible.

"People see me and think I'm weak, they want to take care of me, but I can take care of myself by myself," she ranted for a moment, maybe she's been alone too, just needed someone to rant too with her issues.

"I use to say the same thing to my brothers," Zuko ate his bread.

"What did they tell you?" She asked now curious.

"They let me find out that I'm not as tough as I actually am, I told them I didn't need help and when I tried to be alone I fell on my ass and covered in mud, turns out they were right sometimes," Zuko shrugged a little not looking at her.

"I still like to try not relying on them, they won't always be there," he ate more bread.

"Your fire nation aren't you?" The girl frowned.

"Yea," Zuko admitted.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he told her.

"I didn't think you were going too," she smiled a little.

"So where are your brothers? Are they really your brothers?" The girl asked as she ate more of the shared food.

"No, they're soldiers, i was too," he admitted.

"So your on the run?" She connected the dots. He nodded.

"I am too, I ran away from home," she smiled.

"Why did you do that?" Zuko asked.

"My parents hid me from the world and treated me like I was helpless, I won't let anyone do that again," she said strongly.

"Good for You, I was around your age when I left home," Zuko finished his bread as she finished her apple.

"If You stayed home, do you think you'd be a different person today?" She gulped softly.

"Completely, I think I'd have a roof over my head and a warm meal every day, clean clothes and fresh water, but I'd hate myself more, I'm stronger now," he nodded and handed the blind girl the other half of his apple.

"This one has seeds since you like them so much," Zuko said sarcastically and the girl burst out laughing at the joke.

"Your alright for a fire nation soldier," she laughed.