Volunteer

"Everything okay?" Lee approached the teen as Zuko stepped out of the tent. He saw the red mark on his cheek and Zuko didn't look thrilled.

"Yea, fine," Zuko shrugged him off.

"They're going to ask for volunteers," he whispered to him.

"Oh so there's no list?" Lee tilted his head to the side.

"There is, but volunteers are first," Zuko nodded.

"Are You volunteering?" Lee asked curiously.

"No, I don't think you should either," Zuko told him sternly which caught Lee by surprise.

"I wasn't going to if I don't have too, I get too sea sick to easy, I won't be any help," Lee snorted but heard they were being called by the admiral.

"But hey at least I can have you help me now with the new recruits," he patted his shoulder and Zuko made a face.

"I rather not," Zuko rolled his eyes as they walked back to the troops as zhao stood with the scroll.

"Today many of you will be joining me to the northern water tribe, we will gain a great victory but your lives will be risked for the sake of our beloved nation!" Zhao put a hand on his chest. Zuko rolled his eyes sticking his tongue out.

"So men, which of you are brave enough to put yourselves forward and lay down your lives for our nation? For our families!" Zhao motioned to the group.

"If You are, join me up here now," he nodded. Xai looked at Zuko and shook his head at the boy, Zuko put his hands behind his back and stood there waiting.

One by one men joined the front, Zuko gulped a little as he watched them form into a bigger group but it wasn't half of them yet. Zhao looked at the crowd next to him and sighed annoyed taking out the scroll to gain more.

Zuko couldn't tell at first until he noticed he was getting closer, he moved forward leaving Lee behind and stood with Zhao.

"Huh, so your either suicidal or trying to prove something," zhao looked down at him.

Zuko stayed quiet.

"I'm sorry to say but I still need a few more of you brave souls, I'll start calling names," zhao shrugged looking at the list. Zuko knew at least Lee wasn't at the top.

"Kai, Thomas, cho, don, Lee, park, Chan," zhao started to list and zukos breath stopped. That wasn't the order... he felt a presence next to him and felt a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll be back in three days, I want you to be at the shore ready for take off, see you men then," zhao nodded at them.

-

"Are you stupid?!" Lee cried out as there was five men in front of him from volunteering being shamed by the man, Zuko pouting in front.

"Yes," Zuko rested his chin on his fist looking bored.

"Look if this is what it takes to finish the war I'll do whatever I can," one of the men snapped back.

"It's to late now anyways," Zuko shrugged.

"Your on my shit list," Lee pointed at him dramatically.

"When am I not?" The youngest quirked a brow.

"No it was stupid for you to volunteer," Xai walked over to them with his arms crossed.

"I thought we already went over that?" Zuko hummed.

"Don't be a smart ass," Xai warned.

"Thought I was stupid?"

"Zuko," he warned again but knew this is how the kid gets his entertainment.

"Do you know who else is going to be joining the invasion? Which divisions?" Zuko asked leaning back with his arms propped under.

"I believe it's every troop that's getting an amount of soldiers barrowed," Xai told them as everyone understood.

"General iroh will be joining admiral zhao,"

Zuko paused for a moment as that name made a shiver run down his spine.

"I thought he retired?" Jay made a face.

"Zhao offered and he took it," Xai shrugged but Zuko pursed his lips.

"Great this is going to be like ba sing si again, the fat bastard probably will pull back right before victory," another man chuckled.

"His son died, his only fucking child, shut the fuck up," Zuko snarled back at him with a deadly glare.

"Do not disrespect a war hero," he spat harshly and everyone as silent.

"No he's right, General iroh was very successful when he was a leader, he's a good guide for victory, he makes good calls," Xai agreed with him despite knowing who he was to the teen. "He's a good man,"

The men slowly agreed as Zuko pulled his knees to his chest. Was he going to see his uncle? Did his uncle even want to see him? He was rude last time he saw the old man. To be fair he was just traumatized and was being disowned.

"Hey you going to be okay?" Lee sat with him.

Zuko gasped softly seeing no one was by them now, it must've been a couple minutes he zoned out for. He didn't even realize people leaving.

"Yea, I'll be fine," Zuko pressed his nose on his knees to hide his mouth a little.

"You know, my little sister is probably ten, she really wants to meet you," Lee sighed softly.

"You told her about me?" He asked quietly.

"Yea I told her about some asshole kid who kept trying to fight me, she sent me some jokes to try making you laugh," Lee pulled out a letter in his pocket and cleared his throat.

"What do you give a sick lemon?" He grinned brightly.

"Lemons don't get sick?"

"Do it for the ten year old!" Lee whined.

"Fine.. what?" Zuko groaned a little.

"You give them lemon aid," he laughed and Zuko didn't get it.

"Fine okay okay, what did the Buffalo say when his son left? Bison!" Lee said excitedly. Nothing.

"Oh your a tough nut to crack kid, I'm going to keep going to see which one I can send back to her to let her know it's the funniest joke," Lee pushed him a little and looked down the list of jokes his sister sent.

"What's her name?" Zuko asked softly.

"Nunya," Lee grinned to himself.

"That's a weird name-" "nunya business!" He cackled as Zuko was startled a little.

"Tell nunya her jokes suck," Zuko huffed.

"Her names zo," he pulled the boy back with a chuckle. "I promise that's not a shitty joke,"

Zuko rolled his eyes as stayed with him.

"You know my mom is probably going to adore you too, probably think your way cuter than when I was a kid," Lee smiled down at him as Zuko looked annoyed at that.

"What is your whole family meeting me or something?" Zuko scoffed.

"Oh absolutely, they think your funny for bullying me," he nodded and Zuko raised a brow at that.

"..I can't wait," Zuko mumbled a little.

"Really?" Lee perked up.

"I owe you that much, you've been.. nice," Zuko hugged himself tighter not looking at him.

"Aww it's like you care about me!" Lee cooed wrapping his arms around Zuko smiling.

Only to earn a punch to the throat.