Free time

Zuko walked through the market with a singular plant in his hands as he promised hai he would get one for his place. He was more interested in having more blankets for the cold night, maybe another pillow? He only had one for the past three years and the one was small and flat.

He purchased a basket to carry his items. His. Zuko liked the color of his blankets, he liked the plant he chose for hai of course. He could have things he liked for the time he was stuck in the city.

He picked out some candles and a few flowers as well even for greenery. He picked out food to keep, food to have waiting for him. He could make his own meals and if he ran out of food he could come back and get more.

There was a rush of excitement almost in his chest, fluttering around his heart.

His face relaxed and the smallest smile rested on his lips as he picked out a teapot for himself.

Why was he so relaxed? Why did shopping for himself make him feel at ease?

Was this peace?

Was this contentment with himself?

Zuko went to return back to the apartment that he got to live in, a bed and a kitchen, a bathroom he could bathe in. He could be clean. To take a bath and rub all the dirt from his skin and from his hair, to wash it away.

Zuko spent his day sweeping and cleaning the apartment, he kept the bedroom door closed and set the flowers on the floor in front of it, bowing and whispering a small prayer to thank the last resident for giving him a chance to have a home.

He made his bed with a few blankets and set the pillows, it looked so comfortable he wished it was night time.

Setting the plant on the windowsill next to his bed. Hai will be pleased.

He went back to the small kitchen and placed the teapot on the counter and put away the tea cups that came with it. But kept one out for himself.

It wasn't much, and he was fine with only having a few things, he liked it easy and simple for himself. But he felt comfortable. He wondered how long it would last.

Zuko walked in the bathroom and noticed how small it was, a tub, a mirror, the stone sink with a bucket under that would be enough water for him.

He filled the tub with water and stripped himself from his dirty clothes, hai bought him another outfit set so he didn't look homeless, he sunk himself in the cold water and inhaled a sharp breath, exhaling slowly to use his bending to warm up the water.

He dipped his head back to get his hair wet, pushing his thick black hair out of his face and splashed water to clean his face as well. He can't remember the last time he actually got to bathe and have a moment to enjoy it.

Yea he would bathe in ponds, rivers and lakes but to bathe in a tub with clean ish water, with soap, he felt like he was back in the palace again.

He sunk further in the tub till his chin touched the top of the water. Focusing on his breathing to keep himself warm.

He was a resident now. He was a refugee civilian in the earth kingdom, he was somewhere he might even call home.

Zuko had to keep repeating that. He had to keep telling himself where he was, fearful he'd forget and wake up from this dream.

He wished he'd wake up... maybe he'd wake up to his birthday, he would share his cake that Lee gave him.  He would try to smile more.

There wasn't much to smile for anymore. He felt selfish to smile now. He didn't have his family with him anymore.

He went under the water and sat up fully after, pushing his wet hair back, it was longer. He looked down seeing the faint scar on his shoulder that his sister gave him. That water bender was right, it would be harder to see but not completely gone.

He had other scars so it didn't bother him as much, it's not the first one either from his family so it would be old news and mix with the other scars. Zuko traced the ones on his legs from falling or hand to hand fights, there was more on his torso and his arms, he wasn't a great fighter.

Zuko got out of the tub once he knew the dirt was off and immediately changed into his clean clothes.

It was still daylight out, he had so much time on his hands now it freaked the teenager out a little.

Maybe a walk will do him some good.

Katara fumed as she stormed out on the street from the house she and the gaang were staying at. She felt her body shaking in rage while she clenched her fists trying to contain her anger.

She kept walking even when she was out of the neighborhood they stayed at. She was wrapped in her thoughts and mumbling to herself. She already hated the city like tough said they would. Judee ruining their plans to save the world, the rules, how everyone was beyond not helpful.

It was almost two weeks and they haven't spoken to the earth king.

And how no one was doing anything. She was trying to keep everything close to the same for their sake of going back to traveling, not sleeping in, cooking for themselves, doing their own laundry. But now it was just her doing it all.

She was sick of having no help and ba sing se wasn't helping either.

Katara groaned frustrated kicking a wooden crate that was by an alleyway just to let out some of her anger.

"Fuck me, I'm sick of this," she kicked the crate again.

"Hai! Are you awake?" She heard through an open window close by. Kataras head wiped around shocked at the familiar voice.

"Oi I'm trying to be nice! Don't throw things at me!"

"Get then, I don't wanna see you till tomorrow morning," an old woman's voice barked back as Katara watched no other than Zuko getting shoed out of a tea shop a few buildings down.

"Oi fuck me for being nice then, you grouchy woman," Zuko jumped out of her reach before she jabbed him with her cane tomorrow.

"I'm locking the door, I need my alone time!" The woman slammed her door on him as Zuko flinched and looked annoyed, flipping off the door as he backed away.

"Zuko?!" Katara called surprised with a wave.

He turned looking just as surprised by the water bender.

"Didnt actually expect you to hunt me down?" He raised a brow at her confused.

"Ha.. I didn't realize I was this close to the lower rink, I just went for a walk," Katara crossed her arms amusingly. 

"Your girlfriend kick you out?" She teased.

"She's my.. my boss, I uh I opened the letter," Zuko gulped looking away.

"She's someone that's gonna help you?" Katara looked up at him proudly.

"She already has," he nodded.

"I was bugging hai to see if she wanted to go for a walk but I got kicked out," Zuko motioned to his work rolling his eyes.

"If You don't have anywhere to be.. you can join me," he sighed rubbing his neck awkwardly.

Katara hesitated for a moment. She didn't have anywhere to be but should she go with him without telling her friends? No she didn't think Zuko would hurt her but there was that part of her that put his nation before him as a person.

"Sure, I have no where to be," Katara nodded agreeing.