Deep dive

As the evening came around everyone was doing their own thing where the tension was still high, Katara and Toph didn't bother trying to make up while Zuko went back to the pool of the water fall below the cliff. Sokka and Aang clung to each other afraid of a bomb going off.

They tried to make nice between the girls by sending the messenger Hawk to Katara saying Toph apologized but she caught them immediately.

Zuko couldn't help but want to keep his distance when everyone was fighting, he wanted to wash up in the peaceful pond, going for his own swim for the first time in a long time, he left most of his clothes behind except for his undergarments.

Dunking under the water and pushed his hair out of his face while he swam around in the cool water.

He floated on his back staring at the sky above, a mix of colors as the sun began to set off in the distance. His ears under the water, the noise all around him and in his head finally became quiet.

"Stupid fucking jerks, I can't believe them," katara stormed down the path to the water not realizing the pond was occupied. Zuko lifted his head letting the noise return.

"Which one?" Zuko startled her and made Katara yell in surprise.

"Oh it's just You," Katara rolled her eyes annoyed with him.

"What happened?" Zuko swam closer as Katara sat on the dirt and put her feet in the water.

"I thought you didn't like to swim," she pointed out.

"I thought I was going to be alone, now spill,"

Katara kept her eyes down but didn't answer, gripping the ground under her, clenching her fists.

"Can I come in the water please?" She asked with her voice shaking.

"You have to tell me then," he negotiated. Katara nodded and went to take off her clothes as well.

"Sokka and Aang tried sending me a stupid message about Toph apologizing but obviously she can't write, do they think I'm stupid?" Katara took her red clothes off and was in her own white under garments while taking her hair out too.

"And and and, and everyone thinks I'm a horrible bitch, why am I even trying? I'm just looking out for everyone but no one even wants me here so why am I always the one making dinner, cleaning, packing, sewing, getting water," Katara rambled as she got in the water and stood there with her arms crossing over her stomach.

"Am I really that horrible? Is it so bad?" Tears welded up in her eyes as she kept her head down.

Zuko swam over to her, Katara felt a few tears run down her face, but gasped a little when arms wrapped around her and warmth comforted her.

"Youre not horrible," Zuko whispered holding her tightly as Katara has tears rolling down her face. Her lip trembled trying to hold in her sobs but she caved.

Hugging him back and buried her face against his bare shoulder.

"I'm sorry it's gotten so hard lately, I'll help you more with it all, youre not alone," he looked down at her as Katara sniffled while she cried looking up at him. He didn't wanna see her cry, it made him panic and say anything to try getting her to stop.

He caressed her face gently and wiped her tears with his thumbs. It felt like a thousand pounds lifted off her shoulders and she could breathe again.

"Thank you zuko," she rested her head on his shoulder again.

"Please stop crying now," he let out a breathe of relief.

"Aw you really do have a heart," Katara chuckled softly. 

"Don't bring it up again," he rubbed her back gently as they stayed in the embrace.

"I was going to say, you never hug," Katara tried to tease but she couldn't help the tears that kept coming. "It's our secret,"

"You seem like you need it," Zuko mumbled and she smiled softly.

"I did," she whispered closing her eyes for a moment and just breathed for a moment.

"They do appreciate everything you do, but maybe you should try to let go once in a while," he told her quietly.

"You jerk," she whined pushing away and went swimming around. She stopped crying but it was still a possibility again.

"It's not like that," Zuko groaned rolling his eyes.

"I mean it as.. um.. you spend to much time trying to be the grown up and soon your going to miss all the time you had you could've been... a kid," Zuko swam backwards, trying to find the right words.

"We're in a war, we won't get to be just kids very long and soon we'll play bigger rolls the older we get, I think it would be fun to be able to look back at the stupid things you did when you were younger," he sighed floating on his back and looked at the clouds above them.

Katara smiled softly at the idea of telling her children one day of those ridiculous things she did, or maybe people would think she's fun then.

"I'll stop stealing so much," Zuko spoke once again when it was silent for a moment to long.

"Really?" She perked up surprised.

"Yea, I probably shouldn't steal from civilians, it's not fair to them," he sighed as she swam over to him.

It was an easy lie, he could tell it bothered her a lot more than she let on that he stole. He didn't want to be another reason she was unhappy.

"We'll I mean you can probably steal from bad people or something," Katara offered and he smiled a little at her.

"An acceptation?" He smirked a little.

Her cheeks flushed red at the smile and her heart flutter when he had his full attention on her.

"Just don't tell the others," she lowered herself to have the water at her chin.

"I won't," Zuko smiled softly. Letting his guard down, feeling like he was allowed to smile.

He had a reason to smile, he wasn't afraid that the people around him were going to die at any moment. He like this feeling, he liked that he wasn't always a soldier.

He liked he wasn't just a solider now.

"I wish I got to be a kid before," he admitted and Katara nodded understanding.

"I hope you still have time to be one now," Katara smiled hopeful.

Zukos heart skipped a little, he pursed his lips and smiled again, his gaze was soft when he looked at her.

"I think I'm starting too,"