Late night creeps

"Here's more firewood," Zuko and Sokka camp back from the woods as the kids sat around a smaller fire while Katara was cleaning up the quick dinner. They landed late in the night but it didn't seem anyone was that tired yet.

"Sweet I was struggling to keep the fire going," Aang poked at the flames with his own stick.

Zuko walked over and lit a piece of wood on fire before tossing it softly into the fire to keep it going. Aang clapped happily at the warmth while Toph sat close to the fire now as well, Sokka knelt by the fire to put the wood in a neat pile.

"Do you need help princess?" Zuko went over to Katara while she was packing some gear.

"Thanks can you bring these bags to appa?" Katara smiled relieved and handed Zuko heavy bags full of food.

"You really waited for me to come back just to carry the heavy shit," Zuko grunted, swinging the bag over his shoulder.

"Of course," she laughed softly picking up the smaller bag that was left.

"There they go again," Toph snorted and only Aang heard her.

"Who?" Aang looked at the girl confused.

"Sparky and sugar," she grinned with her palms flat on the ground.

"What about them?" He didn't understand.

Toph heard them coming back already and Sokka as well. She smiled and shrugged.

"Nothing," she hummed.

"You know I really like it when it's calm like this," Aang smiled when everyone joined around the fire.

"I gotta say the fire nation might be my favorite land that we've camped on, it's so warm at night and we're not sleeping dirt and sand," he grinned innocently looking at his friends.

"Beds were nicer to sleep in at the earth kingdom," Sokka rolled his eyes.

"I gotta agree with twinkle toes, this dirts nice and soft and the grass isn't dry, my kind of dirt," Toph nodded.

"It's definitely one of the prettier nations we've seen," Katara smiled bringing her knees to her chest. "I love all the greenery,"

"To bad I'm sure more people would visit the fire nation if there wasn't an evil psycho lord running it," Sokka snorted leaning back on his elbows.

"Maybe after the war people will?" Zuko spoke finally, he pursed his lips a little hopeful.

"Aww look at our tough soldier being all sentimental now, letting your guard down around us Zuzu?" Sokka teased and Zuko glared at the nickname.

"Don't call me that," he mumbled under his breath.

"Don't be rude," Katara shook her head at her brother.

"Stop mother henning me I'm a grown man," Sokka whined.

"A grown man? You just turned the age you could join the warriors," his sister laughed out loud at the idea of him being an adult.

"I've been a man! I've been protecting the village for years," Sokka puffed up his chest as the others laughed at his silliness.

"From what? Blizzards and penguin seals?" Aang cackled.

"You haven't ran into a polar bear dog," the oldest pointed back at the avatar.

"Sokka it was a polar bear pup," Katara corrected.

Aang and Katara laughed as Sokka kept trying to defend himself not realizing Zuko and Toph sitting more straight, on guard.

Zuko slid his foot up a little as Toph was listening intensely.

"Zuko on your left!" Toph said quickly and he jumped to his feet sending a blast of fire in the direction.

"Whoa!" Aang fell back confused as Zuko grabbed his blades glaring.

"Come out!" He barked as Toph stood by him.

"Please, please don't harm me," an old woman's voice echoed.

"Did you hit someone?!" Katara gasped standing.

"No he missed by a few feet," Toph felt ahead.

"It was a warning now come out!" Zuko raised his voice as Sokka grabbed his own blade standing while Aang hid momo.

"I'm no threat children," an old woman came out of the shadows with a shawl over her shoulders. She looked strangely calm by the attack.

"I don't mean to frighten you, my names hama," she smiled kindly, Sokka put his sword back and Zuko kept his in hand by rested by his side.

"You children shouldn't be out in the forest by yourselves at night, I have an inn near by, why don't you come back for some spiced tea and warm beds?" Hama offered.

"Yes please," Sokka squeaked.

-

They settled at a table in a larger in with many rooms, everyone sat as hama gave them each a cup and poured spice tea for the children.

"Thanks for letting us stay here tonight, you have a lovely inn," Katara set her chin in her palm as she admired the home.

"We apologize again for our friend here, he tends to be over protective during our travels," she smiled awkwardly as Zuko sipped the tea innocently.

"Aren't you sweet, but You should be careful, people have been disappearing in those woods," hama sat at the head of the table.

"What do you mean disappearing?" Sokka questioned.

"When the moon turns full, people walk in and they don't walk out," she explained looking down with a look of unsettlement.

Hama looked back up seeing the slight fear on their faces, thinking that could've been them, wondering what could've happened to those innocent civilians.

"Don't worry, you'll be completely safe here, why don't I show you to your rooms and you can get a good nights rest?" Hama offered seeing many of them are done with their tea as well.

Each of them got their own room and everyone slept in their own bed, the house was quiet during the night but Sokka turned in his sleep hearing wooden creaks of the old house.

He heard a suspiciously loud creak and bolted up from his bed freaking out looking side to side.

Momo jumped up on the bed.

"I know momo this place is creepy," Sokka sighed with a whiny tone still.

Momo circled the bed chirping.

"Your right momo as long as we're together it'll be alright, but I don't know if I'm gonna be able to fall asleep " Sokka laid on the bed.

A moment later he was knocking on one of his friends doors with the blanket wrapped around his shoulder.

"What?" Zuko answered the door with his hair a mess.

"Zuko I can't sleep," Sokka whispered wide eyes.

"Count turtle ducks," Zuko grumbled with sleep in his eyes still.

"Can I stay with you?" The older boy asked.

"Absolutely not, go to bed," the fire bender tried to close the door but Sokka slipped in the room anyways.

"Wha- get the hell out man!" Zukos jaw dropped as momo found himself on zukos bed as well.

"It's to spooky I can't sleep," Sokka hopped foot to foot getting the creeps still.

Zuko glared as he went back to his bed and pulled the blanket over himself. "Go away,"

"Your the best man, I'll just stay here till I feel less creeped out then I'll go back to my room," Sokka rolled onto the bed over zukos blanket as he had his own still.

"What? No!" Zuko sprung up but as soon as he turned to yell at Sokka, the water tribe boy was already knocked out.

"You idiot," he grumbled.