Despise

Zuko was quiet when he was passed a bowl of rice from the pot in the middle as they all sat around a fire. He had his knees to his chest tightly and shoulders hunched forward as he watched the fire. He didn't want to talk to any of them.

What would Xai do? Drink probably and offer it around. He could use a drink now.

"So Zuko right?" Sokka started the conversation sensing the tension. Katara shot him a look.

"You gonna eat or just pout? You have to be starving," Sokka ignored her and ate his own food.

Zuko looked at the bowl and his stomach growled. He hasn't had hot food since the troops.

"Come on just eat, it's not poisonous," Toph snorted a little.

"No," he huffed.

"So like were you on zhaos ships when he was hunting us?" Aang asked curiously since Zuko was the one that went to capture him and actually seemed to know the admiral.

"No," Zuko glared.

"Is that why your a refugee too? Cause of zhao?" He asked.

Zuko was silent but picked up the bowl of rice and started to eat it so he had a reason not to talk.

"I'm not answering to an interrogation," Zuko said before taking another bite.

"It's not an interrogation, just friendly questions," Aang put his hands up wide eyes.

"Your asking about my nations admiral that you killed, it's an interrogation," Zuko told him sharply and aang shut his mouth.

"Aang didn't kill zhao," Katara snarled.

The fire raised aggressively for a moment as Zuko brought his knees down and rage in his eyes.

"Wait... so if you think Aang killed that admiral guy, you think he killed everyone that was there," Toph kept her head down and gulped a little feeling how the anger fled zukos heart beat.

"Oh," she whispered.

Zuko clenched his fist closing his eyes.

"I was in the avatar state after you left the oasis, I don't remember much, but if I hurt you or your friends I'm sorry, I had to defend the water tribe, you were the enemy," Aang set his bowl down feeling guilty for being the reason Zuko was so angry at them.

"Do you think about all those families that lost their sons? Their fathers? Brothers?" Zuko whispered shaking his head.

"I know we're monsters to the world but you can't play innocent for the lives you took," he spat harshly at the avatar as Aang flinched away.

"Hey the fire nation has killed and torn families apart too!" Katara snapped back.

"Obviously, I've been in this war for years, I know the blood we shed," Zuko looked at her instead.

"You killed my mother!" She stood up quickly.

"You killed my brothers!" He got to his feet in a flash.

They both were shaking with rage as Katara had her hand over her water pouch and Zuko moved his feet apart.

"Hey hey chill out!" Sokka gasped afraid of who might get hurt.

"No! We should've left you to freeze to death in the north!" Katara yelled with venom in her voice.

"I should've killed the avatar in that cave when I had the chance," Zuko snarled.

Katara saw red and slammed water into Zuko pushing him back but he rolled to his feet kicking fire back at her. She gasped blocking it with water so it didn't hit appa.

But suddenly the two were swallowed by the earth so only their chests were above the ground and their arms couldn't bend anymore.

"Okay, since You guys  ruined dinner and got Aang all sappy for murder, I'm putting you in time outs," Toph crossed her arms taking control of the situation.

"But he-" "she started it!" "You were being a fuckhead!" "Youre a bitch!"

They both screamed in fear went they sunk a little.

"You can bitch and moan to each other but I don't want to hear you yelling, you stay here till You calmed down," Toph groaned annoyed.

"But-" "no buts!"

The two shut their mouths as Toph left them alone in the first as they were about ten feet from each other. The camp was a bit further where they couldn't hear the three others talking anymore.

"This is your fault," Katara huffed.

"Oi!" Zuko snapped his head at her.

"I don't even want to be here," he scoffed.

"Makes two of us," she hissed.

They fell silent as they had scowls that seemed permanent as long as they were by each other.

"So are You like a southern tribe soldier?" Zuko raised a brow.

"What? No? Are You stupid?" Katara was surprised by the question.

"Don't call me stupid, stupid, It's just a question," Zuko glared and she raised a brow.

"I'm not, I just learned how to actually water bend like a month ago," Katara looked at him to see his reaction.

"I became a master bender up at the north," she nodded.

"Wha.. then how are you.." he was baffled.

"Water tribes don't have women warriors stupid," she said unamused.

Zuko blinked still confused. There was women soldiers in the fire nation, most were in the nation still but they had them still, it was an option for anyone.

"So your brothers were at the north I'm guessing?" Katara sighed giving into their screaming matchs main reason.

He nodded.

"I don't want to talk about it," he whispered.

"The fire nation killed your mother?" Zuko kept his eyes down and Katara pursed her lips as she glared a little.

"When I was seven, they raided my village, took her," she gulped.

"I'm sorry," he nodded understanding.

"Are your parents fighting in the war too?" Katara asked, she maybe could sympathize with the soldier, she'd be devastated if she lost Sokka or Aang.

"My mother isn't around anymore... my father i guess is in the war.." Zuko didn't look at her.

"At least you'll have someone to go back too one day," she offered.

"No, my brothers weren't my actual brothers, they took me in when I became a soldier after my father disowned me, they raised me," he looked back at her and she knew he wasn't lying. The look in his father told her he wasn't lying to get her guard down.

"Wow, your life sucks," she tsked.

"No kidding," he nodded. "The war fucking sucks,"

She couldn't help but smile to herself at that. Strange how they were on opposite sides but either way, the war does ruin everyone's lives.

"Yea it fucking sucks," she snorted.

"I still can't stand You,"

"Oh I absolutely despise you,"