44

3rd Person Pov:

As the children climbed the tree together, they made sure that no one touched the roots. "Everybody, help me!" called Emma, trying to pry the roots open above them. The roots from the ground were closing in on the children that were trying to break through the ceiling, but the escapees of Grace Field managed to break the roots.

'Outside of the cave lies the harsh northern seas. The snakes will fall asleep from the chilly gust that enters from outside.'

That's what the book read. And sure enough, it worked. Emma, Dona, Lanni, and Thoma fell back down, since they were the once to break the ceiling. "Wow, it really stopped!" said Lanni, looking at Thoma with a surprised, yet relieved expression. "Woah, this place is suddenly real cold!" exclaimed Don, shuddering from the cold they just let into the cave. The children that made it out let a rope down, helping them all back up.

The children were relieved to have made it out of that trap. "I see... These roots don't do too well with the cold!" "So that's why they stopped moving." "It is pretty cold up here!" "Yeah... It's even colder than the area we were in when we first fell in!" said the children, shivering in their clothes. Gilda asked: "So as long as it stays this cold, does it mean that we won't have to be afraid of being attacked by those roots again?" Emma immediately answered: "Probably." "Damn! Thank goodness it's winter right now! Or else we would've been in big trouble!" announced Don. "Well..." started Natt. "According to this, it seems like the ground doesn't cave in in the first place unless it's winter. It says that 'the Alvar Pinera is a legendary cave one can only enter during the winter season.' in this book." Don took a look at the sentences written in the book, starting to regret what he said. "If only it weren't winter, huh?" asked Gilda, putting a hand on his shoulder. Emma said: "But thanks to what just happened, now I know! This 'outside world' is full of unknowns! And the words of this book have meaning!" "So it's our guidebook, huh..." said Don, trailing off. "That's right. This book contains all of the important pieces of information we need. How to deal with unknown danger. The weaknesses of our enemies. Also-" "Emma! Here it is! This is what we've been looking for!" called Ray, gaining their attention. All of the children walked over to him, looking at what he and (Y/N) were pointing at. A strange looking flower, that was it. "Uh... What is this?" asked Natt, receiving a quick answer from (Y/N). "It's water." "Huh?!" gasped the children, not knowing what she meant. Ray nodded, saying: "They're mentioned in the book. Anemones that store pure water." "Anemones?!" asked Don. "Watch." said Ray, cutting one of the anemones open with the scalpel they took with them. (Y/N) held an empty glass underneath it, catching the fresh water that spilled out of the plant. The children watched in awe as (Y/N) showed them the nearly full glass, a smile on her lips. "These things obviously aren't real anemones. But if we keep following what the book said, this water should be drinkable." informed Ray. (Y/N) added: "A-And we won't have to go to the river to get water." Ray continued: "Food and water are the two most important parts of our blind adventure. We can't even tell what is edible and what isn't. So I'm quite thankful that we at least have something to base our decisions off of." "This world really is full of scary things... But at least we won't be flailing around in the dark." chimed Emma in. She smiled at the others, her expression holding hope and determination. "Don't worry. We all aren't alone. We've got each other. We've got an ally. Let's all go see Minerva! Let's all survive. Let's do our best to get out of here! All right, just a bit more! Okay, let's do our best guys! It's time to go!" With that, the children started to celebrate. "Now we can go to B06-32, right?" asked (Y/N), holding the pen up. Emma and Ray both nodded, starting to walk into the right direction.

(Y/N) Pov:

After I showed them the message from Minerva-san, we continued our way. 'Come to me if you need help. I am waiting in area B06-32.' That's Minerva-san's message. But... Will he really be there? How long has it been since he wrote that message? Is he just waiting there every day, or just once a week? Is he- My eyes widened as all of us stopped. "Hey, Ray, (Y/N)..." said Emma, trailing off. "Yeah... Something's coming." said Ray, making me take a step back. Everyone stayed silent, allowing us to hear the breaking trees and heavy footsteps. My eyes widened even more as I tucked at Ray's jacket, saying: "R-Run. We have to-" I was cut off by that Demon itself. It screeched loudly, making me want to cover my ears. "Run!" yelled Emma, Ray, and me at the same time.

While we were running, Gilda asked: "Ray, what's that thing?! Is that in the book, too?" Ray looked at me, and I shook my head. We don't remember reading about that thing. "No, there's nothing! This must be... A Demon!" "A Demon?" Gilda was terrified. "So that's a..." "So that's a Demon?!" she and Don asked at the same time. I grabbed Ray's hand while running, trying to erase the pictures of the Demon's we saw the day Conny had died. "Yeah, I'm sure... But..." started Emma. I said: "Th-The Demon's we saw walked like humans, even talked like humans!" Ray said: "Yeah, the ones in my early memories were like that, too... They didn't have tails, and always wore those hideous horned masks, and had clothes, too!" "Right!" called Emma. Suddenly, the Demon's tongue closed in on us, about to reach me. I forgot how to breathe for a second, my heart beating out of my chest. But then, moments before it could grab me, Ray pulled me out of its way. "Th-Thank you..." I quickly said, continuing to run. That Demon... He's different than the ones we saw. It's like an animal compared to the ones back there. They were like humans, but this one isn't. "Uhm, so, the Demon came from the Farm to catch us?!" asked one of the younger children. "No! It's not from the Farm! It wants to eat us all right here!" screamed Natt, clearly terrified. Emma said: "Exactly, this isn't them yet! If it was, it would treat us like merchandise, not attack us like that! They would never!" "It's a different kind of Demon, unrelated to the Grace Field Plantations." stated Ray. Then, Don did the sign to split the group.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:
https://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=983492