48

3rd Person Pov:

As the children were sleeping, the three oldest among them couldn't sleep. They needed answers. So, they stood up, with Ray saying: "Let's go." He took (Y/N)'s hand, and the two of them, followed by Emma, went towards the place they had previously eaten at. "So you're still awake?" asked Sonju, seeming to make tea. Emma asked: "Can we talk now?" "Can't see why not." he said quickly, waiting for them to sit down.

Sonju asked: "You three were running around last night and didn't sleep properly, yes? You should stay put and rest until you recover fully." "Yes, later we're going to sleep a full night again." noted Emma, nodding her head at his words. "Thank you." Those words of hers made Sonju look at her in surprise. Emma continued: "And also... I'm sorry for having doubted you even though you two saved us from them... I just assumed that all Demons were eating humans. It didn't even cross my mind that some might be friendly..."

"Don't worry. You have good reason to be skeptical. Human meat is something of great value to, mm, 'Demons'. The brain above all." explained Sonju, earning curious faces from the three children. He continued: "Those like us are awfully few. Most 'Demons' will drool at the sight of your flesh, and crave to sink their teeth in it. You do well in assuming they're all out to eat you." "Then why are you two-" started Ray, but was cut off by Sonju, who immediately answered: "Faith. Our religion is against the eating of human beings. Only human beings, however. Other than humans, I can and will eat anything." (Y/N) put her head on Ray's shoulder, trying to suppress a yawn in the process.

"We're what our society calls 'Heathens'. They who own the farms and their ideology, their authority, their entire enterprise... I couldn't care less for the whole of it. Just keep me out of it." stated Sonju, taking a cup of tea into his hand. "The reason why I've saved you humans is simple curiosity. It's been quite some time since I could have a nice talk with your kind... How unusual indeed... These days, it's a rare enough opportunity to see living humans even on the plantations, much less..." He noticed the expression the children held, asking: "What's the matter? I'm sure this is what you came here for." Emma was the first to speak up, asking: "Could you... tell us, please? What happened to humankind...? What happened to humanity 30 years ago? What's going on with the world?"

(Y/N) Pov:

We waited patiently for his reply, which was: "Nothing." Emma and Ray both tilted their heads in confusion, while I merely hummed. Just what I thought. "30 years, eh... I've no idea how you came up with that number." noted Sonju. "What do you mean?" asked Emma. Ray asked: "Could it be that this isn't earth at all? If this planet isn't earth, it would explain the absurd biology we have been seeing-"

He was cut off by Sonju, who simply said: "Nay." "The calendar, then? The dates were a lie, too? We're not in 2046 at all, but much-" "Nay. We're on planet earth, yes, and precisely in the year of 2046. Well, according to a certain human reckoning, at least." "But then, why...? How...?" questioned Emma, her eyes a little wide. I closed my eyes, asking: "C-Could it be that the world changed way before 30 years ago?"

Sonju nodded his head, saying: "Exactly. The world has been like this for a long, long time." "I figured as much..." I muttered, opening my eyes again. If the world didn't change 30 years ago, but way before that, that'd mean that Minerva-san simply stopped sending in clues in forms of books for whatever reasons. Could he have been accused to help us? Or did something else happen? Was he on a farm, too? Probably not. Wait, could... What if he got sick, or worse, died? What if Minerva-san actually died 30 years ago?

I visibly tensed up at my thoughts, bringing a hand up to my chin, thinking even harder. If that was the case... What would happen to us? Could we still survive? Could we- My thoughts were cut off by Ray, who seemed to have noticed my current state. So, he pulled me into his chest, hugging me, while making me sit on his lap. I blushed a dark shade of red, but leaned onto him, calming down as soon as his hands made contact with mine. He held my hands in his as Sonju started to speak again.

"I'll tell you the stories of old. When the world was much bigger than it is today. It was a great wide world, indeed. Back then, there were no 'Plantations'. The land was huge and full of humans and the 'Demons' could just prey on them and survive." He took a sip of his tea before continuing.

"The 'Demons' were the hunters and the humans, the hunted. Some humans feared those beings and worshipped them. Others grew vengeful and they themselves became the hunters. In fear of being eaten, these humans ended up killing large swathes of 'Demons', who, in turn, started to actively begrudge the human race, too. Endless massacres ensued. Both sides lived in terror. Finally, when neither one could bear the destruction any longer, a proposal came from the human side. We shall make a treaty as follows: 'Human beings shan't hunt 'Demons' anymore. In return, 'Demons' shan't hunt humans either. This world we live in shall be divided between both.' Yes, that's when it all started... With that promise."

Promise, huh? What a shady attempt to stop the fighting. But then again, I kind of did the same. I glanced back at Ray, remembering our promise. A small smile formed itself on my lips. What a shady attempt to not lose him. "We live in the half allotted to the 'Demon' side back then... So, no, nothing in particular happened here. This place never belonged to the humans. Incidentally, you, the plantation children, are a parting gift left behind by your ancestors, when they fled the 'Demon' side."

"Left... behind...?" repeated Ray, trying to grasp why they would've done that. Seriously? They really offered up humans to the Demons? Why... Why would they do that? That's just...

Just a shady attempt to save all of mankind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/748512400554312090/?d=t&mt=login