60

I'm almost done with the special chapter!

I can already tell you that it'll be a super long special. It has around 4k words at the moment, and it's probably going to be even more :)

Anyways, let's continue the story!

Enjoy!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

(Y/N) Pov:

Even though he's really mean, the nicknames that Mister gave us are... well, somewhat fitting. In a way. He's still super mean, though. He calls Emma Antenna, Ray is Sleepy Cyclops, Don is Bean Head, Gilda is Prissy Four-eyes, Thoma and Lanni are Pizza Topping and Curry Chow, Nat is just Nose, and I'm Stutter... Unless he wants to really annoy Ray. Then, he calls me 'Cutie' or something. "This sucks... He's bullying all of us!" called Lanni, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I looked over at them, watching as Gilda patted their heads. "That man doesn't want to learn our names. He's so stubborn about it!" she said, sounding annoyed. Ray asked: "By the way, Nat, why are you looking so proud?" "Because my elegant noseline has been recognized." I had to chuckle at his answer, then went back to reading, saying: "He just doesn't want to grow close to us." Ray nodded at my words, with Emma humming.

A little while later, as I was sketching, Alicia came running in, whispering something to Ray, who nodded. He then said: "I think I get what to do now. It's not just this switch that makes him vulnerable. The entire shelter is full of extortion material. Thanks for the report, Alicia!" "Wait- Ray! What sort of dangerous experiments are you making the poor girl do?! You, too, Alicia!" called Gilda, raging. I really don't like it when she's mad...

"No problem! I won't do it again. After all, everything is important to that man! It's not as if he's not listening." started Alicia. Chris said: "It's a bummer that we can't explore the rooms." "And he yells at us to go away, and gave us these funny nicknames, but..." continued Mark. Yvette finished, by saying: "We kept asking his name and he got so angry!" "Oh you- Stay away from him!" yelled Gilda, balling her hands into fists.

I had to smile as I continued my sketch, only listening to their conversations. They started to leave one by one, resulting in only me, and Ray being there. "It's reassuring to see them act normal, right?" I hummed at his question, not looking up. Ray then asked: "What are you working on?" I stopped sketching, letting him take a look at it. He was looking over my shoulder, eyeing my picture. "It's not finished at all yet, but it's a sketch of Carol." This time, it was him who hummed.

I moved my hand back on the paper, adding new lines, while also darkening some others. "Seriously, you're amazing." he complimented after a few moments of silence, making my face turn red. Everyone always told me that I'm really good at drawing, but getting a compliment from Ray is just... different. It makes my heart race, and my face heat up. He must've noticed the blush on my cheeks, because he chuckled, sliding his arms over my shoulders.

"I really do think that you're art is amazing. But if I'm being honest, I like the artist a tad more than the pictures." he whispered into my ear, sending shivers down my spine. But I liked it. I like the way his voice sounds, the way he could make me feel. With just those simple actions of his, he had my heart almost pounding out of my chest. I'm sure he can even hear it at this point. My thoughts were starting to run in circles, and I wasn't able to concentrate on anything else than him.

Not that I minded that, of course. He is all that I need. As long as he's with me, as long as we're together, we can do anything. Yeah, I'm sure of it. I did the only thing I could manage, leaning in to give him a quick kiss. He was surprised, but returned the gesture.

Time skip: one day 'till departure

3rd Person Pov:

The tall man stood in his room, eyeing the words he wrote on the walls himself. Was he really about to go back there again? It seemed so. He didn't have another chance. All thanks to those children. "Hey, Mister?" asked a female voice, barely above a whisper. She wasn't scared of him anymore. No, it's the other way around, actually. She got used to him pretty quickly, and she would often start smaller conversations with him. Just like this time.

Not even sparing a glance at her, he said: "Stay out of my sight. And quit wandering around, cutie." The girl's cheeks reddened slightly. She noted: "Ray's not with me..." The adult sighed, saying: "Too bad. At least teasing him is a little bit fun."  (Y/N) asked: "What does 'Poacher' mean?"

"I thought you were the best of the best? Knowing everything and all." spoke the man, his eyes still set on the words in front of him. The girl shook her head, saying: "W-We can't possibly know what you encountered. I still have some questions to ask. Do you mind?" "Absolutely. Go bother that cyclops."

"I can't. He's preparing for tomorrow. Mister, what's a 'Poacher'? How far have you gone? Did you ever make it to A08-63? Why did you give up? I-I'm sorry to ask, but how did your friends die?" she asked him. "Don't feel like talkin' about it. It's all a secret." (Y/N) sighed at his immediate response, saying: "It's fine..."

As if he had a sudden change of mind, the adult said: "You guys are a good little family." At that, (Y/N) tilted her head slightly, trying to grasp where that suddenly came from. "But you know, I hate good little families. Eyesores. Disgusting. I want you lot to get lost right now. Do you even know what it feels like?"

The girl kept quiet, listening to the man. "Realizing that just one choice can throw everything off the rails. The terror of seeing your ideals, your choices, kill your friends. 'There's no way we'd ever give up now', was that choice really the right one? I can't wait. Will you still be able to spout pretty words like those at the end of the journey, I wonder?"

Finally deciding to say something, the (h/c) haired girl said: "Me, too." The man glanced at her, not expecting those words from her. "What if I would've acted differently back in Grace Field? Would Norman still be alive today if I did? And so much more. Mister, I-I-" Before she could continue, the adult cut her off: "You stutter way less when you talk to me." At that, the girl forgot what she was about to say.

"Wh-What? I-I don't..." she said, not being able to talk correctly. "Ah, there it is. Too bad. I actually like you better than that Antenna. She's more annoying." This time, the girl kept silent. She didn't know what to say. Then, the man started to walk away, saying: "Follow me. Bring your sleepyhead and Antenna, too."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.zerochan.net/2515227