32

3rd Person Pov:

"Listen up, everyone. I have good news. A foster family has been decided for Norman. I know this is sudden, but he's leaving tomorrow night." explained the Mother of the House, putting both of her hands on Norman's shoulders. One of the children dropped what she was holding, screaming in shock. The other children were confused and surprised, too. "Tomorrow?" "Congratulations!" "Congratulations, Norman!" Phil looked up to him, asking: "Is this goodbye?" "This suddenly?" asked Lani. Thoma put a hand on his shoulder, saying: "We're going to miss him, huh?" Lani could only nod his head. "Congratulations!" "Congwats!" said the younger children. Norman got on eye level with them, smiling. "Let's play a lot tomorrow!" "We'll miss you." "Congratulations." "Please don't go." Then, the, now crying, girl that dropped her stuff sooner walked towards him, saying: "Congratulations... Norman... Congratulations!" He smiled sadly at her, hugging her tiny body. "Thanks, everyone." he said, close to tears himself. In the background stood Ray, glaring at their Mama. She noticed and only smiled at him, which made him mad again. "Ray..." (Y/N), who sneaked out of the infirmary, hugged his arm tightly, watching the younger children with a sad expression. Ray calmed down a bit, taking a deep breath. Don and Gilda watched in horror as the children still said their congrats to Norman. Then, Isabella walked towards the dining room, saying: "Okay, let's eat dinner." Her violet eyes then fell upon the (h/c) haired girl that was still clutching onto Ray. She couldn't help but to smile a little at them. They reminded her of herself when she was younger. "And (Y/N), I recommend you go and rest so that your arm can heal quickly." she said. The girl quickly nodded her head, glancing up at the raven haired boy. He nodded lightly, as to tell her that he'll come by once dinner's over. With that, she hurried back towards Emma.

Time skip: two hours later

(Y/N) Pov:

I walked towards the library, thinking about anything. Suddenly, I bumped into someone. "I-I'm sorry..." I quickly said, looking at the person I bumped into. Mama smiled down at me, asking: "So you're feeling good enough to walk around?" I put a smile on, since younger children passed by. "Y-Yeah. It doesn't hurt that much anymore." "Could you help me out with something in my office?" I hesitated, but nodded. Maybe I could get a little extra information that we could use for our escape. Mama smiled at me before starting to head to her office. I followed close behind her.

She closed the door behind me, then sat down behind her desk. "There's something I wanted to ask you for a while now." she started. I listened carefully, trying to not overlook any hidden information. Mama smiled lightly, asking: "Do you like Ray?" My eyes widened slightly as I felt my cheeks heating up. "U-Uhm, I-I..." I stuttered out, trying to find the right words. This is not what I was expecting. Mama chuckled, asking: "You like him, don't you?" I nodded my head, looking down at the ground. "Then, would you like to hear a story?" I looked back up at her, tilting my head slightly. "What kind of story?" She smiled at me, saying: "A story that only I know. I want to tell it to you because you remember me of the girl in that story." I sat down on the chair in front of her desk, patientally waiting for her to tell the story. She smiled once more, saying: "It's the story of a girl and a boy, and how only one of them survived here at this House."

Time skip: the next day

3rd Person Pov:

"Don't worry." Ray said to Emma. "It'll go as planned." She smiled a little before turning away, saying: "Norman." "It has to work out." said (Y/N), putting the book down that she was reading.

Meanwhile, Norman ran through the woods, the newly made rope in hands. He smoothly jumped over the fence, continuing to run towards the wall. Once he reached it, he stopped, panting. He quickly checked the device that Ray made, then tied part of the rope onto a tree. And as soon as everything was ready, he held the rope tightly, running towards the wall. As he was able to reach the top of the wall, he held onto it, pulling himself up. Then, he saw it. What truly lies behind the walls. His expression turned into an empty one as he stared at everything in front of him.

(Y/N) Pov:

The sun is already setting. Norman isn't here, that means that everything worked. He can live. And we know what's behind the walls. It couldn't be any better. But then... I let my eyes fall onto the forest, furrowing my brows. Why do I have such a bad feeling about this, then? "Where's Norman?" asked Mama, snapping me out of my thoughts. I looked at her, then at Ray and Emma. We had hopeful smiles on our faces as Mama checked her pocket watch. I watched her carefully. I could feel the tension growing and growing with every second that passed by. And then, she smiled. My eyes widened, and so did Emma's and Ray's. She turned to the side, saying: "Welcome back..." Ray and Emma turned there, too, but I didn't dare to. I knew exactly what was about to come, so I shut my eyes tightly. "Norman." Ray quickly took my hand in his, gritting his teeth. "Why?" asked Emma. I took a shaky breath, glancing at Norman, who was smiling at Mama.

We went inside, into the infirmary so that no one could hear us. "You bastard, what the hell?" asked Ray, grabbing Norman by his collar. Emma quickly said: "You can still run away!" Norman merely smiled, saying: "No. I have no intention of running away. Anyway, I want you to listen." Ray harshly let go of Norman, turning around with an angered expression. It was silent for quite some time, so I decided to fix Norman's shirt as best as I could with one arm. He gently patted my head, saying: "Thank you, (Y/N)." He smiled sweetly at me before walking towards the window. There, he turned to look at us. I hesitantly asked: "Norman... W-What did you see there?" I knew his behavior has something to do with whatever is out there, behind the wall. I kept my eyes on him as he answered: "It was a cliff. Past the wall... is a cliff."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/thepromisedneverland/comments/asn1nv/spoilerless_norman/