55

(Y/N) Pov:

"What I wanna know is..." he started, leaning lower while sitting on top of the desk. "How come a bunch of total suckers like you chumps managed to survive this long, without a single one biting the dust?" Emma looked at him in a questioning way, looking over at Ray, then me. "Look, it's just like I said. This is a shelter. Food, water, furnished rooms... It has everything. However... Stocks are limited, you know?" The glare he shot us send shivers down my spine, even causing Chris to hug Emma in fear.

"I'm not letting anyone take a single bite of my share. I'm serious. I'm older than you. I came here first. This is my home." he said, seemingly very serious about this. This is child's play. Can't he just give us at least one room? "And consequently y'all gonna die. Sooner or later, you dead. 100% chance. 'Cause you're weak." he added, sounding more and more serious. "We're not-" tried Dominic, just to be cut off by the man.

"Are too. Just look at you. It's obvious you all never even been on the grip of death. You've barely scratched the surface of the very basics... And yet you're all here. This is nagging me. The very image of naive chumps who know nothing... That's why I can guarantee it... You will die." I slowly shook my head, but he continued: "No matter what you do, it's simply impossible to stay alive out in this world." "That's what happened with your former colleagues?" asked Ray, hitting the nail on the head.

"Exactly. Dead one after another, 'cause they all were wimps. Until I was the only survivor. I was the only one able to survive. 13 years... Only I... Only I figured out the trick to stay alive." "The trick...?" asked Chris, hugging Emma tightly. The man smirked, answering: "Drop the dead weight." My eyes widened slightly. He's not telling us to leave someone behind, is he?

"Comrades equals dead weight. Hopes equals dead weight. Caring equals dead weight." I tightened my hands into fists, lowering my head. No way is he telling us to give up. After everything we've been through... After everyone we lost... Norman, Conny, Sister Krone... Even Mama... "All of that just weights you down." he said, finally getting me to snap a bit.

I looked up at him, saying: "Y-You're wrong!" He just stared at me as everyone else fell silent at my sudden outburst. I clenched my fists once more, saying: "After everything we did... There's no way we'd ever give up now. You're wrong!" "Afraid I'm not. It's true." he said, moving his hand behind his back. I didn't think much of it, until he grabbed me with his free arm, pointing something at the side of my head. My eyes immediately widened as I noticed everyone's expression. "(Y/N)!" they called out, the younger ones nearly crying.

Ray Pov:

"(Y/N)!" I called, stepping forwards. "Don't move." ordered the man, moving his finger closer to the trigger of the gun that he pointed to her head. I bit my lip, trying to quickly think of a way to get her out of there. No. This isn't how it ends. This isn't the day I'm losing her. She's not going to die. I won't let him do that. I won't let him kill her! But how? My heartbeat quickened, and my thoughts started to run wild. Come on, think! Think or you'll lose her! (Y/N), hang in there, I'll find a way, I swear!

"Worst dead weight of all is a troupe of clowns passing as chums. Hand it over." His demand was directed at me, making me freeze up once again. Is he talking about...? "Your pen, kids. Fork it already. I'll be keeping it, so that y'all will never step in here again. I don't wanna anyone weighing me down. Sorry, but you guys have to leave. Well then, gimme your pen and get the hell away from my face. Otherwise, every single one of you is gonna die right here and now."

The only way to save her is to hand over the pen? We're right in the middle of a deserted wasteland! No way we can just leave. How cold can it get? We can't just go and make fires. And what could we do out there anyway? Where should we go? Which path should we follow? Just wander aimlessly...? It's too dangerous. Especially with the kids... We would lose our only lead to Minerva!

I tightened my grip on the pen, looking at (Y/N). She was close to tears, holding onto the man's arm that held her. The way he's holding her, she's probably not getting enough air... I have to hurry up. I have to hurry up and decide, or else... I closed my eyes for a second, an image of her smiling at me flashing through my mind.

I'm sorry, everyone... I just can't lose her. I can't let her down. I can't let her die. So... I'm giving away our only option to contact Minerva. "Well?" he asked. I know I'm being selfish, but... (Y/N) gasped for air, making me hold out the pen, saying: "Take it." The moment he lowered the gun just a little bit, (Y/N) took her chance. She probably kicked him as hard as she could, hitting his shin. "Wha-" "Ouch-" we called. None of us even knew she was capable of hurting someone else.

I quickly snapped out of my daze as (Y/N) sank to the ground, coughing rather violently. I immediately pulled her into my chest, making sure to keep a good distance from that man before Emma called: "Quick, get out of this room, everyone!" I took (Y/N)'s hand, pulling her with me towards the exit. "You idiot! What are you even doing?!" I asked her, stopping to look at her.

"Right! What if he'd pulled the trigger...?!" asked Gilda, worried, yet upset. (Y/N) shook her head, coughing a few times before saying: "B-Bluffing... He was bluffing." I looked at her in disbelieve. "That man has a gun. He nearly shot you. And you're claiming he's bluffing?" I asked. I think I fell in love with an idiot...

"H-He could've just killed me, then everyone else. But he didn't." she noted, turning to face the man, that was still in pain, crouching while holding his, now injured, leg. Emma nodded at her words, backing her up. "Y-You don't want to kill us, r-right?" asked (Y/N), turning to face the adult. Then, a loud bang was heard, followed by her falling down to her knees once more. "Like hell I was bluffing." called the man, smoke blowing from his gun. (Y/N)... You didn't just get shot, did you...?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563018691322514/