14

(Y/N) Pov:

"According to what Emma and you told me, Gilda is innocent." stated Norman. I nodded, saying: "She is. I'm sure of it." Norman nodded before saying: "Hey, Ray. I wonder why traitors betray others." Ray said: "Maybe it's because there must be some merit in doing so. For example, they can be spared from being shipped out and can become an adult." "A guarantee to live, huh?" asked Norman. I glanced back over at Ray. We'll know soon.

3rd Person Pov:

Emma ran with the younger children, playing around. Don and Gilda watched with Norman in the background. Don said: "I see, so this was training for running away."

(Y/N) was sitting next to Ray, both of them reading books. She got up, starting to walk towards the house. As she got back, she held something she hasn't used in days. Ray watched her every move as she sat back down next to him, smiling slightly. "Is something wrong?" she asked. Ray's cheeks flushed a light shade of red as he looked back down at the book, continuing to read. "No." was all he said. (Y/N) giggled lightly as she held her pencil. She flipped through her sketch book, finding an unfinnished sketch. While she continued that, Ray couldn't help but glance at her from time to time.

Time skip: a few hours later

Norman Pov:

I spotted Emma counting her steps. "One, two... Three..." "Emma." I said, gaining her attention. She looked at me and I asked: "Can I talk to you?" We went into a room where no one was at the moment. As we got there, Emma sat down on a chair while I stood in front of her. I said: "I'd like to hear your opinion." "Hm?" "What if there's someone who is willingly being an agent of the demons, and that by spying on us, they are guaranteed to continue living..." "You mean, in exchange for spying on us, they won't get shipped out and can live?" she asked, looking up at me. I nodded, asking: "Would you leave that person behind? Or take them with us?" She thought for a short while before saying: "I'd take them with us." I looked at her, a bit surprised, asking: "Even if that person didn't want that?" "Yeah. I'd force them to come with us. Because if we escape, that person's life might not be guaranteed anymore." That's... I haven't thought about that. "Also, I want to believe, after all. The incident with Gilda made me realize that. Ray told me to suspect everyone, but even if there's a traitor who is a demon's agent, no one within our siblings is a bad person." She smiled as she said that. I looked down, listening to her. "We're family that grew up together. Even if that person gets in the way, betrays us, or says I'm naive, I want to believe in that person!" Her eyes were shining more with every added word. I smiled at her, saying: "Of course you would say that, Emma."

(Y/N) Pov:

I looked up at Norman as he removed the plank from the ceiling. He grabbed something and pulled it out, looking at Ray and me. He handed the bag to Ray, who opened it. In it were the ropes we had put in there. We nodded at each other, going to the second hiding spot.

I bend down next to Norman's bed, putting my hand under it. Nothing. I put my head on the floor, searching for the bag. Nothing. "So?" asked Ray, making me stand up again. I shook my head, saying: "It's gone." "Seriously?" asked Ray. Norman gave me a knowing look, which I returned. And it hurt. This feeling... My chest hurts. "Then it's confirmed that it's Don." said Ray. "Yeah." said Norman. I looked at Ray with a pained expression as Norman leaned closer to him, saying: "So you're the traitor, Ray." His eyes widened as he looked at me, then back at Norman.

Silence.

The clock ticked in the background as none of us dared to move. After another moment of silence, Ray smirked, asking: "What are you saying? What's wrong, Norman?" "You already know by now, don't you? We set a trap for three people." Norman glanced at me as he said that. He continued: "To Don, I said the rope was under my bed. To Gilda, I said the second floor bathroom's ceiling. That's what I told you, Ray. But actually, I told Don it was in the dining hall, and told Gilda it was in the library." I watched Ray closely, my chest still stinging. "Then, the rope that was under my bed disappeared. Then what about the other two locations? Should we go check on them now?" Everything went silent again. Ray then laid down on the bed, sighing. And suddenly, he started laughing. I looked at him, taking a step closer towards Norman. "Dang. And I thought I was doing so well." said Ray, sitting back up again. "That's right. I am Mama's spy. When did you start suspecting me?" His voice... It sounds so different. I hid behind Norman, who said: "The day Sister came to the House. Thought (Y/N) suspected you first." Ray's eyes met mine, causing me to cover my face. "It's true..." I said, my voice weak. Norman said: "I was disgusted with myself for thinking such a thing. You were the first person I suspected. Even tough you're my friend. I just wished it wasn't true. It was my supposition for the worst case. But for us, it would be the most problematic if you're the traitor. And from the enemy's point of view, it would be the most beneficial if you're the traitor." Ray just looked at him in silence. I stepped next to Norman, watching Ray closely. He, too, looked at me as Norman said: "You can give opinions to our plans, and from the perspective of controlling the situation, it's perfect. No one else fit the job better." "And that's why you suspected me. And that's how I walked into your trap, huh?" Ray's eyes met mine as he said: "I knew you'd be dangerous, but you're even better than Mama thought."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/588634613776277206/