25

Norman Pov:

(Y/N) grabbed my shirt tighter, her hand trembling. Did something happen? Did I forget something? "I don't know how to break them." said Sister, bringing me out of my thoughts. "But if it breaks, it sends out a signal. To that thing, and also to the headquarters." I looked back down at the tracker in my hands. The Sister put her doll on her bed then said: "You'd have to take it out. Or cut it off." "But there are no decent blades in the House." I stated. "There's a scalpel. For medical use." "Once we're outside, there's no medicine. When we escape, I don't want to take risks with blood loss or infections." "The infirmary is equipped with medicine and tools. Anesthesia, too. Well, I think there's enough for five kids. I'll also teach you how to use them, and I'll lend you the key to it. That's settled. Okay, what else?" I looked at Emma, and she did the same. Then, Emma asked her: "Sister, how old are you right now? Were you livestock ever since you were born?" The Sister shook her head, then put a hand to her head, saying: "How rude to ask a grown woman her age... Is what I'd like to say. I'm 26. Born and raised at Grace Field. Just not here at Plant Three." "Plant Three?" I asked. She continued: "By the way, Isabella is 31. That's what I saw in the records." Emma looked at me once more, so I asked: "And the outside? You've seen it, right?" "I haven't." she replied quickly. "Oh, did you think I would say yes, even if it was a lie? I haven't. But there are humans outside. Your food is made by the higher-ups and us adults. But there are humans from the outside who bring your clothes and other supplies. I saw them at the headquarters once. Those humans have equal standing with them. There are humans outside who haven't been eaten. You need to get mixed in with them." "But..." muttered (Y/N). I glanced back at her, watching as she covered her number on the side of her neck. I put a hand on her head, giving her a quick smile to reassure her. She returned it before looking back at the Sister. "Then you don't know hold the demons have been around?" asked Emma. "Demons? Oh, you're talking about them." said Sister. "Or do you know how the world came to be this way?" "I don't know that." Emma gasped lightly. Then, Sister walked up to us. Emma asked: "Where is the House located?" "I don't know." I asked: "What about the security of this area?" "I know about that. There isn't much of it. They rely on the tracking devices, so they don't have many guards posted. I'm sure they don't even patrol." She stopped just in front of us, smiling at us. I handed her the pocket watch, saying: "Thank you." "You're done?" she asked. "Y-Yes. Thank you..." said (Y/N), hugging my arm. "Good night." I said, turning around. I was about to open the door, as the Sister started laughing. (Y/N) shut her eyes tightly, saying: "You've messed up badly, Norman..." My eyes widened.

(Y/N) Pov:

"So you already knew the location of the tracking devices and how to break them?" asked Sister Krone. "I'm impressed. I see. I understand a lot now. It's not just words that provide information. Humans give away a lot of information just by standing there. Attitude. Gaze. Blinking. Sweat. Gestures. Pupils. Pulse. All of these are hints to find out what you're really thinking. And yet for you two, even though I said the tracking device was in your ear, you didn't touch them to check." She smiled as she put her hands on my shoulders, saying: "You're a smart child, (Y/N). You noticed right away, didn't you?" I avoided her gaze, answering: "Y-Yeah..." She continued: "The arrangements to get them out where made, but you didn't look happy at all. So, why did you ask about the tracking devices when it wasn't necessary?" Sister Krone let go of me, walking around in the room. She suddenly stopped, asking: "Is there something you want to hide from me? Are you keeping a secret?" I stood in front of Emma and Norman and looked the Sister dead in the eye, saying: "N-No. There's nothing we're keeping from you." She smiled at me, before saying: "Now, to change the subject, do you know about Him?" I blinked a few times, hearing Emma gasp. "You don't know, right? Do you want to know?" With that, Sister Krone leaned down closer to us, whispering: "I'll tell you the next time you come here. Come back anytime. Let's talk much more than we did today." I released the breath I didn't know I was holding, then turned to look at Norman.

Ray Pov:

I looked at the camera in my hands. This is it. I think it works like this... I held it up, saying: "Mama." She looked at me, and I pressed the button. A flash of light was seen, followed by the picture. I took it out, saying: "I see. There's really nothing shown at first." Mama asked: "So your last reward is a camera, huh?" I kept my eyes on the peace of paper, saying: "I was interested in the phenomenon of photographs. I've only seen photographs and cameras in books. If I were to get greedy, I would have wanted to develop them myself." I watched in awe as the photo I took slowly got it's colors. "Amazing. It really looks like you cut out a moment in time." I stood up, holding the camera in my hand. "Regarding that matter, is it okay if it's after lunch?" I asked. Mama answered: "Yes, that's fine." With that, I left.

The clock struck midnight as I turned a corner. There stood a smaller shadow, leaning on the wall. As soon as she saw me, she stood up straight, walking up to me. "You waited for me?" I asked her, a small smile on my lips. She nodded her head, smiling up at me. Then, she hugged me, whispering: "Ray, I... I have a bad feeling." I put my arms around her, saying: "It'll be all right. I'll make sure it works out." "Really?" "Yeah." It was silent for a while, before she pointed at the camera, asking: "Is that... the camera?" I nodded, then took her hand, starting to walk towards the library. "Hm? Wh-Where are we going...?" I stayed silent.

As we got there, I closed the doors and turned on the lights. "Stand by the window." I said, already holding the camera up. "U-Uhm, okay." She did just what I told her. "Now, smile." Her cheeks got redder as she smiled shyly at me. And... Click. (Y/N) blinked a few times before walking over to me, asking: "What was that?" I smiled, taking the picture and showing it to her. "It's... empty?" I shook my head, saying: "Wait just a little." We waited in silence, and watched how the colors started to fade in. "Wow... That's amazing!" said (Y/N), her (e/c) eyes shining. I smiled, asking: "Right?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://animepopheart.com/post/620182482853281792/%E3%81%A0%E3%81%84%E3%81%99%E3%81%91-%E7%B4%84%E3%83%8D%E3%83%90log2-ray-the-promised/amp