49

(Y/N) Pov:

"Left... behind...?" questioned Ray, looking at Sonju with wide eyes. "'Demons' shant hunt humans'... So as to keep the promise, they've thenceforth been keeping you as livestock. And the 'plantations' are institutions responsible for managing cattle. Among hem, the Grace Field House is considered to be of the very best grade. It's the top-ranking plantation among countless others, of all sizes and types. It's been some thousand years since the contract was sealed. Nothing much has changed since then." explained Sonju.

"I'm afraid such is the world that you've escaped into. That you were born in." While Emma's and Ray's eyes were still wide, I nodded, muttering: "Just as I thought... Well, partly." Now that we know... There's two worlds, huh? One belonging to the Demons, and one belonging to the humans. We're on the Demons' side, which means that we have to be extremely careful. We probably can't even trust anyone else than Mujika and Sonju. We have to learn how to fight, rather... We have to learn how to kill. I'm... I'm not sure if I can do it, but...

A light smile made it's way onto my lips as Emma said: "Ray, (Y/N)..." "Yeah..." said Ray, the three of us standing up. Emma then jumped up, while I hugged Ray tightly, all of us celebrating. "Oh yes! We can do it!"

Sonju was clearly taken back by our little celebration, but we paid that no mind. Emma said: "It's the worst case, but! But! But then, after that...!" Ray said: "Right! A lot's still up in the air, but the situation's way better than I could've ever expected!" I nodded, smiling brightly at the two of them, saying: "I-If there're two worlds, then there is a place for us, after all!" "There's another world somewhere, and it's safe from Demons!" chimed Emma in, being her usual, energetic self. "Yeah! We have a reason to go back for Phil and the others- Somewhere to take them!" added Ray.

"Ah, nay... I hate to ruin your hopes, but... There's no way to cross into the human world." noted Sonju, making us halt in our movements. He continued: "The pathways were completely shut down. 'There shall be no crossing from either side'. That rule was also part of the contract, meaning-" Emma cut him off, by confidentially saying: "It's okay. We'll find a way. We just gotta find out how to cross over. That small detail's not stopping us."

She then chugged down the tea Sonju had handed her, saying: "Thanks, Sonju! I feel better now!" "Is that so...? Well, that's good, then..." said Sonju, clearly confused at our spirit. He lightly shook his head, saying: "It's already much too late. Go sleep." "Okay!" called Emma, deciding for the three of us. Before we could leave, Sonju added: "Starting tomorrow, we'll teach you how to pass through this forest, at least. Under our guidance, you'll be sure to leave it safely." Emma smiled at him, with me doing the same, saying: "Thank you so much!" I added: "A-And have a good night." before we all left to catch a round of sleep ourselves.

Time skip: the next morning

3rd Person Pov:

As the children woke up, or, were woken up by Emma, Ray yawned, sitting up. He rubbed his eyes, getting rid of all the leftover sleepiness. "Good morning, Ray!" called Emma, smiling as usual at him. "Morning, Emma." he replied back, stretching. "Hey, Ray, where's (Y/N)?" At that question from Emma, Ray looked to his side, where (Y/N) was supposed to be now. But she wasn't. Worried, he got up, looking around his surroundings. But even so, he got no clue as to where she was.

He went towards the place they had eaten a day before, still on his search. And what he found made him stop in his tracks for a few seconds. The food smelled so delicious, and each plate was filled with tasty looking meals. Before the dots connected to him, a quiet, female voice called out to him. "Ah, good morning, Ray." she greeted, her pink lips forming into a sweet smile.

The way she smiled at him made him want to hold her close to him in that very moment. A warm, nice feeling spread throughout his chest, making him realize once more how much he actually fell for the girl in front of him. "Good morning, (Y/N)." he finally greeted back, walking up to her to pat her head.

"Did you... make all this?" he asked her, to which she nodded her head. "Not alone though. Mujika helped me out." He met her (e/c) eyes with his dark green ones, noticing the way they shone in the light. He almost lost himself in her eyes, if it weren't for a certain, orange haired female.

"Woah! This is amazing! Wait, did you do that, (Y/N)?" asked Emma, walking up to the two of them. Mujika showed up, saying: "Yes. She's a very fast learner, so I didn't do much." Blushing slightly at the compliment, (Y/N) looked to the side, avoiding eye contact. Mujika and Emma chuckled at her, all four of them going to sit down to start eating.

(Y/N) Pov:

"Mujika, do you live with your friends in this forest?" asked Alicia, tugging at Mujika's robe. "Not 'live', no. We're just passing through. We travel through various lands, never stopping anywhere." she answered. "Why?" asked Dominic, looking at Sonju with curious eyes. "Hmm... Why, indeed..." he simply said, grinning. I turned my head back to the conversation we were having.

"A promise... A contract between humans and Demons..." repeated Don, carefully going over the information that we just gave them. "One of Minerva 's morse-code messages was the word 'Promise', right...?" asked Gilda, making me and Ray nod our heads. Natt asked: "But... Sonju said we're on earth, but not in the human world... What does that even mean?" "The world was... 'split'?" asked Anna, making us nod once more.

Emma said: "We were so convinced that something happened 30 years ago to make the world like this... But it's been this way for a thousand years. There's never been human lands here. No human countries, no cities. Sonju said things like: 'The pathway was shut down' and 'The door was closed'. Sounds like there were places they could go in the past, but cannot anymore." "If that's true, we live in the world promised to the Demons, and we've been cut apart." noted Don. "We thought we lived in the world we read about in our books, but turns out we're in another place altogether."

"That's why our final goal is to escape from this world itself!" declared Emma, looking back at us. Anna said: "And Minerva is someone who probably know how to do that..." "A-At least that's what we think." I noted. Emma said: "We'll find Minerva and ask him how to cross to the other world. Then, we'll have two years to make plans and get ready. We go back for Phil and the others, and escape all together to the human world. That's why we're going to B06-32."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Picture from:

https://instumentalst.com