Dr. Everett's Demonstration

You gave Dr. Lee Everett a call. He invited you to dinner at his place in Lower Manhattan.

You knock on the door. His wife, Carley, answers it.

Carley: You must be Y/N. Come on in.

You: Thank you, Mrs. Octavius.

Carley was a renowned scientist herself. She went by her maiden name despite being married to Lee, which he didn't have a problem with.

You enter their home, and see Lee in the living room writing in a journal. He looks up and sees you.

Dr. Everett: Mr. L/N! Long time no see.

He gets up and walks over to greet you. He shakes your hand.

You: It's great to see you again, Dr. Everett.

Dr. Everett: I know I said back at high school graduation that you can never call me Lee...but you're out of college now. I give you the honor.

You laugh.

You: It'll take some getting used to.

Lee chuckles as Carley puts a hand on her husband's shoulders.

Carley: Dinner's ready if you guys are hungry.

• •

You and Lee are talking about his project as the two of you eat.

You: I understand you use harmonics of atomic frequencies...

Dr. Everett: Sympathetic frequencies.

You: Harmonic reinforcement?

Dr. Everett: Go on.

You finish taking a sip of water.

You: An exponential increase in energy output.

Dr. Everett: A huge amount of energy. Like a perpetual sun, providing renewable power for the whole world.

Carley is eating as well, smiling to herself at the two geniuses converse.

You: That's amazing. If it works, it can change the way we live.

Dr. Everett: It is amazing and it will work.

You: Are you sure you can stabilize the fusion reaction?

Dr. Everett: What have I been talking about for the last hour? This is my life's work. I certainly know the consequences of the littlest miscalculation.

You: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to doubt you.

Lee chuckles and sits back. He looks at Carley.

Dr. Everett: Honey, Y/N here thinks I'm going to blow up the city.

Carley: Lee's done his homework. Come to the demonstration tomorrow and see for yourself.

You nod.

Carley: Anyways, tell us about yourself. Do you have a girlfriend?

You: Uh...well...I don't really know.

Dr. Everett: What about Clementine? I see she's working at The New York Times. Were you still together after high school?

You: We were...until we decided to go our separate ways earlier this year.

Carley: Awwww.

Dr. Everett: But you said you didn't know. I'm not a love expert or anything...but I have a feeling you didn't want it to be over.