Defeat

{Hours Later}

You open your eyes and look around the room. You are in a hospital bed within the facility, and you turn around to see a familiar face.

Clementine notices you awake and her eyes light up. She embraces you.

Clementine: Y/N! Thank God.

You keep on hugging her, ignoring the slight discomfort you are feeling. It is great to finally see her again.

Clementine: I thought that was it...I thought—

You: I'm back, Clem. I'll always find a way back.

She smiles and the two of you kiss.

You: The kids? How are they?

Clementine: They're with my parents. They're okay.

You are elated to hear that they were okay, but you wonder why they were with her folks and not with your aunt.

You: And Y/A/N?

Her mood turns solemn, and you fear the worst.

You: No...

Clementine: I'm sorry, Y/N. She's...she's gone.

You turn your head away and begin to cry. You first lost your uncle, and now your aunt is gone too. You failed to save him years ago, and now you failed to save her.

Clementine caresses your hand as you speak.

You: She's gone...AJ's gone...Tony's gone...we couldn't stop him. I couldn't...

Clementine listens in. She is saddened to hear that AJ had perished too.

You: I could've tried harder...I could've been better.

Clementine: I don't know what more you could've done. Look at you, you're missing an arm for God's sake!

You: I'm only missing an arm compared to the billions of people who are missing those they loved.

You still have your own family. You think of all the people who lost their own. You think of your friends and their own loved ones, you don't know if they're even still alive.

Clementine runs her hand along your cheek to comfort you. She had been scared for the last three weeks and was worried about you. To finally see you alive was a blessing for her and would be for her kids.

Clementine: Your home now...all we can do is live with what we have now.

You talk with Clementine for a while, and she explains how the remaining Avengers found out where Thanos was located and went on a mission to take him down and reverse the snap.

You hope they can succeed, but some time later Steve walks into the room. He wears his Captain America attire, and gives a melancholy look. You notice him.

You: Steve?

Steve: You both doing okay?

Clementine nods.

You: What happened?

You pray that he gives good news. You hope that the words coming out of his mouth insinuate that the snap was reversed somehow.

Steve looks down at his hands.

Steve: The stones were destroyed before we got there.

Your eyes widen as he continues.