We Are Who We Choose To Be

{Later That Night}

You didn't want to believe it. You couldn't.

You ran through the hallway of the hospital, and went into the room the clerk had said your aunt was in.

You go inside, and see her on the bed, sleeping.

The doctor and a police officer are inside.

You: What happened? They called me saying there was an explosion at her house!

Officer: Relax, son.

You: How can I?!

Officer: Witnesses say that they saw the Green Goblin flying away from the scene after the explosion.

Your eyes widen.

Doctor: Your aunt's fine. Just a few cuts and bruises from the explosion....but obviously still in a state of shock. We had to sedate her.

You put your hands over your face, and leave the room.

You lean against the wall, and begin to mutter to yourself.

You: The Goblin knows who I am....he knows.

~~~

{The Next Day}

It was the evening. You and Clementine sat by your aunt's hospital bed. You were happy to see that she visited.

Your aunt's room was filled with flowers from friends of hers. Even your own friends delivered her flowers and got to see her earlier in the day.

You: She's been sleeping all day. I remember the times she got annoyed when I would sleep in.

Clementine rubs your shoulder.

Clementine: I can't believe this happened....why her?

You stood silent. But the thought of the Goblin made you grind your teeth.

You look at your phone, and see the time. It was getting late. You didn't mind staying the night with your aunt, but you wanted to take Clementine home.

You: We should get going.

You get up, and kiss your aunt on the forehead. The both of you leave the hospital.

~~~

You make it to Clementine's apartment in Soho, and close the door behind her.

Clementine: How long are you staying for?

You go up to her, and wrap your hands around her waist.

You: As long as you want. I don't have class until like....noon tomorrow.

She smiles and gives you a kiss.

Clementine: How about we make some popcorn and watch a movie?

You: Sounds alright with me.

Clementine goes to the kitchen, while you go over to her television to turn it on.

You couldn't see a button, so you ask for the remote.

You: Hm. Where'd you leave the-

Your spider sense goes off, but it's too late.

An explosion erupts at the wall behind you, and you get thrown towards another wall. Rubble falls on you as you lay unconscious.

Clementine screams.