The Sokovia Accords

{Later That Day}

Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross stood in front for the conference room table. The Avengers sat down, with you sitting at the end of the table with Steve on your right and Sam on your left. Tony was also in the room, sitting on a chair in the corner of the room.

Thaddeus: Five years ago, I had a heart attack and dropped right in the middle of my backswing.

He starts mimicking his golf swing as he continues.

Thaddeus: Turns out it was the best round of my life because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass...I had found something that 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective.

You all continue to listen.

Thaddeus: The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes...there are some that would prefer the word...vigilantes.

That was a term you were very familiar with throughout your career as Spider-Man.

Andrea: What word would you use, Mr. Secretary?

Thaddeus: How about dangerous?

That statement catches you off guard. You notice Wanda as she looks down.

Thaddeus: What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seemed unconcerned about what they leave behind?

You rest your arms on the table. Steve rests his head on his left hand as he looks on. Thaddeus calls up the large television screen.

Thaddeus: New York.

You start seeing clips of the Chitauri invasion back in 2012. You see firsthand footage of the turmoil and destruction the battle caused. Rhodey looks at Andrea, who in turn looks down.

Thaddeus: Washington D.C.

You start seeing footage of the Triskelion incident in 2014. Steve, Sam, Andrea, and AJ were involved in this event. Sam swallows and looks at his hands, fiddling with his fingers. Steve still has his eyes glued to the screen.

Thaddeus: Sokovia.

You see clips of the Ultron offensive in 2015. Buildings are falling and the huge floating rock of Sokovia is shown. This time, Tony is the one who looks away. Steve still stares at the screen.

Thaddeus: Lagos.

Footage of the Lagos incident last month start playing. It shows first responders escorting injured out of the damaged building. Wanda looks away, and this time Steve decided it's enough.

Steve: Okay. That's enough.

Thaddeus Ross tells his assistant to turn off the television.

Thaddeus: For the last four years you've operated with unlimited power and supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate.

He turns to his assistant again, who brings over a large booklet.

Thaddeus: But I think we have a solution.

He hands the book to Wanda and she looks at the cover. Thaddeus continues.

Thaddeus: The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization.

Wanda hands it to Rhodey, who looks at it too. Thaddeus continues speaking.

Thaddeus: Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary.