What's Next?

{Five Weeks Later}

You lean against the wall on a rooftop overlooking the streets. You're in your spider-suit, having just stopped a drug deal in Greenwich. AJ leaps onto the rooftop and starts walking up to you. He also wears his own suit.

AJ: Assholes have been detained. All in a days work.

You: These guys just don't know when to quit, huh?

AJ: Yeah, same old story.

You nod. AJ has been progressing really well as Kid Arachnid for the last few years. You remember when he first told you about his powers in late 2010. Now it is 2016 and he's definitely proved he can handle being a superhero.

AJ: What's on your mind, man? I can tell when something's up. And I don't need my spider-sense.

You chuckle as AJ sits at the edge of the rooftop. You join him.

You: Work stuff.

AJ: Is it about all that talk on the news? I know Jameson is having a blast giving his take on it.

The media has been talking about the Lagos incident from a month ago. People are starting to question if the Avengers can really protect people if there are still casualties. Some are even labeling Wanda as a weapon of mass destruction because of her powers, which is something you didn't like hearing.

You: I get the outcry. It seemed careless. But it was also an accident. We didn't mean for that to happen, and I know Wanda didn't.

AJ nods.

AJ: There's gonna be haters. That's just how it is.

You nod and AJ continues.

AJ: You also have to think of the responsibility. The mission. You can't go out there thinking everything is gonna go perfectly. There's...gonna be losses.

You look at AJ, and you know he's thinking back at the last few years. AJ thinks of Enid and how he lost her.

AJ: As a hero, we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. If we can't find a way to live with that...then maybe nobody gets saved.

You smile beneath you mask, and pat AJ on the shoulder. You appreciated his words, you know he's a true hero.

You: How many times have you hung out with Cap? That was a damn fine speech.

AJ laughs.

AJ: Enough times. Being with him got me through Communications 101 freshman year.

You chuckle. You decide to change the subject.

You: How's life at home, man?

AJ: It's great. Billie is growing up. My mom and Gideon are happy. We get visits from Sam here and there.

AJ lets out a laugh as he remembers something.

AJ: Sam bought me a Falcon t-shirt for my birthday. Funny ass dude.

You nod as you think of your next question.

You: Be honest, do you feel a type of way that your family knows about Sam being the Falcon...but not about you being Kid Arachnid?

AJ shrugs as he looks on at the city.

AJ: Not really. Sometimes I think it'd be a big relief if they knew what I do everyday. But I don't want them to worry. Sam's in his late 30s, you're in your late 20s. You're basically adults. I'm still 19. I just want my family to think I'm dealing with normal teenage stuff for now.