Prologue

He heard the loud voice of someone calling for help. A little girl, perhaps, and for a moment, he didn't even consider helping her. He didn't care. Or at least he tried to convince himself that he didn't. Other people's problems were none of his concerns and that old man had made sure he taught him that before letting him loose in the Underground. In that misty, dark place where none dared to dream of the light of the day. The soft brush of the outside, clear wind. The sound of the leaves of trees as the wind would brush against them.

Levi hadn't known any of these. No. He hadn't known a life that he could be fond of. The smell of his mother's corpse as it rotted away was still lingering in his senses. He groaned. His fingers tightened around the leather stem of the knife that the old man had given him before he vanished in a crowd of people. Was he not enough? Was he not responding well to that old man's teachings? Why did he have to cast him aside? Why did he have to be so alone?

It was always better to be alone. He could care for himself, just fine. The old man had made sure he taught him that, but that didn't mean that he wasn't a six-year-old kid that had lived those six years the kind of life that no one deserved. Levi stood up. No. No one deserved that kind of life. Everyone deserved to have someone there. He couldn't care less about protection, and he couldn't care less about playing the hero. But those screams were those of a little girl's. A little girl that was about to be casted upon a fate that no one deserves.

Levi made quick work of it. He reached the backyard of a building where he spotted the sound. It was two men about to rape a little girl. Levi frowned. Disgusting. He slit their throats. He was so fast, none of the two got to react in time. They fell on the stony ground, revealing the little girl that had been cornered on the wall. She didn't look older than him. Maybe a year younger. Her legs were folded against her chest as she buried her face on her knees and wept there silently. She looked beaten. She did have a couple of bruises on her exposed hands, and her clothes were dirty and bloody in some places.

She looked up at him. She had bright blue eyes and pale brown messy hair that barely reached her shoulders. She was in a gown that must've been white.

"Oi, you're safe, quit crying," Levi frowned before he tucked the knife in his belt and turned around to leave.

"N- No! Wait!" Levi felt the need to bang his head against a wall. Maybe saving that girl was a terrible idea. She yanked on his sleeve, urging him to turn around and look at her. "Thank you-"

"Thank me by pissing off," He spat back.

Oh, but she was stubborn. "Teach me how to do that!"

He had to admit he did not expect such a request. What he expected was her dropping to her knees and spouting her thanks for an irritating amount of time. But teach her? "For what? So that you'd come back one day and stab a knife in my back?"

"I'd never do that!"

"The answer's no. Go back to your parents," He pushed her aside and continued walking forwards leaving her back. She didn't answer to that and for a moment he was relieved that he had probably gotten rid of her. That until she said.

"I don't have parents,"

He didn't know exactly what it was that made him stop walking, but he just knew that he did, and his fists clenched. He was only six-years-old but there have been times he just wished he'd never been brought into this world, and now he knew that there was someone else who had also been thinking the same about themselves. Why else would she start crying? She had been cast aside too, hadn't she?

Levi turned and looked at her. She was only a mere few steps away. She had buried her face in her hands, sobbing against them and he sighed. His hand reached for his pocket and he pulled out a handkerchief that he had stolen a few weeks back.

"Oi," He approached her and she looked up at him. He used that handkerchief to wipe her salty cheeks. "Is crying all you do?" He handed her the piece of cloth before he heaved a sigh. He was going to regret this. "I know a place. Follow me,"

Before he even knew it, he was pulled into a hug. One that he desperately tried to break out from. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you-"

"Shut up, already," How annoying can someone be? He pushed her away, but she didn't seem the least mad about that.

She extended her hand. "I'm Nat," She had a wide smile on her face, and her eyes shined bright with hope.

It was the first time he had made somebody smile, and quite frankly, he hadn't even tried, if anything, he was trying his best to be rude and get rid of her, yet she was still smiling. What the hell's wrong with that girl?! He shook her hand.

"Levi,"