|129| Trapped

Her head rested on his shoulder. It was night when they left the hospital. His arms were around her. Her head, rolled back on his shoulder. A carriage would be dropping them by their home with all those things and toys that they had brought for Marley. It was so late in the night, Nathalie was absolutely certain that the dawn of a new day was close. But she couldn't care much about it now. Nathalie nuzzled her face on Levi's shoulder. Her nose tickled his neck and he held her tight against him. They had left their gears back to HQ and they were now dressed in daily clothes.

Nathalie had regained her colour and her strength back after that blood transfusion that she got in the hospital. Now she just wanted to see her little ones. She just wanted to hold them close, and kiss them and whisper sweet I love yous to their ears. She had missed her babies so much. And Levi could see that, because she was silent. His Nathalie would try to open a conversation about something. Anything. She didn't like the utter silence. He couldn't deny it. He had missed them too.

Levi pressed a kiss on her forehead. "We're getting close," He told her and she hummed and nodded in response, burying her face on his shoulder just a little deeper. She was clutching onto him needily, and he loved it. He buried his face in her hair and he breathed her in. Anything for her. Anything for his Nathalie he'd do. Anything for their babies. Anything for the life that they had. It was truly wonderful. He smiled in her hair and held onto her just as tightly.

He had almost lost her out there. For a moment, he really was terrified that he was going to lose her. He was terrified that she was going to pass out, and she was never going to wake up. No. His Nathalie was right there. She was alive. She was safe, right there, in his arms. She had regained her strength, her rosy colour on her skin. She was okay. He pressed kisses down on her forehead, her temple, her nose. She giggled.

"My baby's safe," He said softly. It was his own serum that had saved her. Humanity's Strongest did not need to use it.

"Thanks to you," She pressed a kiss on his neck and his thumb found her cheek, brushing her hair away from her face.

"Nat, I promised I'll protect you and our little brats," He smiled softly down at her. "I won't ever fail to do that. Never again,"

She smiled at him. Tears almost welled up in her eyes. Her beloved Levi was perfect. She loved him so much. So damn much. She cupped his cheek. Warm knuckled slipped across his face. "Levi, what would you do... if one day you returned from a mission... and I haven't made it?"

His smile faded and instead, he pressed his cheek down on her hair. His grip around her slightly tightened and she could tell he was thinking it through. What was he going to do without her? What was he going to do without the source of his happiness, his very life-essence that kept him going through this merciless world? What would he do? No. Levi did not want to think about it. He'd do something terrible. Something very, very terrible.

"I don't know..." He lied. It wasn't a question that he wanted to answer. "...luckily, that day won't ever come, because I will not allow it,"

Nathalie smiled as she buried her face in his neck. She knew him so well. She could tell he was lying to her. She could tell there was something he wasn't telling her. But she chose to believe his lie. She chose to believe that he was going to make good of his promise. Levi would give his life to protect her and their babies. She knew it. She didn't need him to say it nor prove it. He already had. She was safe right there in his arms. And their babies were safe so long as he was around. So she smiled. She smiled and she wholeheartedly believed him. That day won't ever come. Yes. It was never going to come.

And once Nathalie and Levi walked in their house, they found Hitch and Annie sleeping soundly on their couches. Their hands were full with bags and suitcases and boxes. They'd open them tomorrow. For now, Levi and Nathalie just left them on the floor. They were both too exhausted to do anything else. Even putting on their night clothes was something that they skipped. The clothes that they were wearing were clean anyway.