|23| Danger

Levi hated this. He hated it more than he could bring himself to describe it. He knew it was just a simple, 100% safe assignment for Nathalie. She was going to be with the rookies. She was their Captain once again. The Headquarters were close to Stohess and well behind Wall Rose. But she was there. She was far from him, and anywhere far from him was absolutely dangerous. And he was stuck behind the Walls of Stohess with that bastard, Erwin.

He had tried to object. He really had, but that asshole’s decision was final, and, alas, both Levi and Nathalie trusted that asshole with their lives. There have been a couple of days that she and Section Commander Mike were gone, and Levi was only starting to realise how dull and boring, and miserable his life could be without her around to spill her bullshit and get on his nerves. Alas, he just wished she was there to speak and say something. Anything. Even all those theories of hers on Titan or Human Biology, or all those strange, complex biology terms that she’d spill out every so often that no one could understand but her and Hange. He would listen to it all.

But his room in the Survey Corp HQ was just too quiet and he didn’t really have anything to do. He only wondered what she was doing now. It was evening, and he guessed she was probably cooking lunch for the brats.

And his assumption was correct.

“Lunch’s ready!”

The children- they’re at least 15 most of them- she had to remind herself. But they all looked so little in her eyes. She sighed. They were all gathered at the dining room around the couple of tables that were spread, and they were all chatting until that chatter was interrupted by Nathalie as she walked in with Sasha and Connie. The three of them were carrying trays with a couple of bowls of soup on top.

“You cook, Captain?” Krista asked confusedly as Nathalie served her a bowl.

“Well, the other choice was the porridge in the Survey Corp supplies, but I don’t think anybody would want that, right?” Nathalie said.

The sweet blonde girl gave her a smile. “Thanks, Captain!”

Nathalie patted her head. “No problem! Let me know if you like it,”

“Aw, man, Nat’s such a dope Captain. She didn’t even scold me for spilling all that salt on the soup,” Connie commented as he served the last two bowls at Reiner and Berthold before him and Sasha settled on the same table with their own bowls.

“She didn’t have to, she knew exactly how to fix it,” Sasha shrugged as she filled some soup on her spoon and took a slurp. She had to bite her tongue to keep a shout back. It was so good. She couldn’t even remember her mom making soup taste so good. “Oh my God,” She teared up. “This is so good,”

“Really?! I thought it’d be salty as hell since I-” Connie tried to say before he stuffed a spoon in his mouth and he groaned in satisfaction. “Oh, my fucking God, you guys need to try this,”

Reiner and Berthold started eating right away. Reiner raised an eyebrow. “So, did she run a restaurant before joining the Scouts or what?”

“Actually no,” Nathalie’s voice came from behind and they all tensed up. She gave them a smile. “At ease, kids. What have I told you?”

“That you’re a very damn chill person,” Connie answered with a smile before he moved aside making enough space for her to sit beside him.