|97| Brave Volunteers

Levi and Nathalie never got to leave early in the morning. Erwin had just received word that the construction of the Survey Corps HQ outside the port was complete. A few Marley ships would be on patrol that same night and Erwin had a plan. They were going to move to the new-built Headquarters aside from the new-built port.

Nathalie never got to empty her suitcase and she was glad about that. She only stuffed in her notebooks, and she started filling Levi’s suitcase with clothes and things that she knew he’d need. They were once again moving from one place to another. It didn’t bother Nathalie too much. They never really had a stable home, though, she wished that someday they would. She wished that someday, Levi and she would get a place to call their own. It’d be nice.

But for now, she sat on top of the suitcase, applying enough weight to shut it closed, and she set off to do the same with the other six suitcases. She recognised her kids’ clothes as she tucked them in their own suitcases. They were already on the western side of the island, helping to build the trainlines. Levi was talking with Erwin and Hange, but he soon passed by the barracks where he knew he’d find her.

His Nathalie had already finished with the suitcases, but there was no way he was going to let her carry them all. She insisted to help out though. Hange, Moblit, and Erwin showed up with their own suitcases as well, settling them all in a carriage before mounting their horses and heading west, beyond the walls.

It was afternoon when they caught glimpse of the Levi Squad building the trainlines. Mikasa was carrying several metallic pipes that looked way too heavy but she didn’t seem to struggle at all. Jean and Eren were placing down the wooden plaques and Connie was helping them out. Armin was chasing Sasha who had grabbed that one bucket of clear water that they had and she was chugging it down.

“Is this… really… something they needed us… to do?!” Connie grunted.

“No! If that dumbass hadn’t opened his mouth…” Jean groaned as he rubbed the sweat off his forehead. “…we can develop this island with our muscles my ass,”

“Well, we don’t really have anything else to do except from wait for the Commander’s orders,” Connie said as he took a break to stare at Armin chasing Sasha for the water.

“Heyyy!!”

A familiar cry came from the distance and horses approached. It was the Commander, Hange, Moblit, and then Levi and Nathalie riding both on the same horse from behind. They approached them and unmounted their horses. Their faces brightened.

“Nat!” Jean cried out.

Sasha jumped on her feet, tossing the empty bucket to Armin. The six rushed towards Nathalie and she couldn’t believe how much they had grown. It had only been three months. Jean, Connie and Sasha pulled Nathalie in a tight, suffocating hug. She didn’t care how sweaty and worked out they were. She squeezed them tightly, making sure to give them all forehead kisses.

“You’re back!”

“You’re really back, right? The experiments are done, correct?”

“PLEASEEEE, DID YOU BRING US SOMETHING TO EAT?! ANYTHING!”

Nathalie laughed. “Of course, I did,” Her hands reached for her bag that hung around her shoulder. She pulled out a large bowl where she had stored a little bit of bread and cheese.

“FUCK YES!”

“You’re the fucking best, I swear- NO, SASHA!” Connie grabbed Sasha keeping her from launching an attack on the bread. Armin and Mikasa grabbed her arms, keeping her restrained. Sasha growled like a wild animal.